Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

I have several questions - would a 2' x 2' x 2' cube be better than a 3' x 1.5' x 2' rectangular tank? One will be close to 60+ G one will be close to 69G if I'm not mistaken. Personally I think the cube saves space, but I would love to hear some feedback.

Also, can I do up to 13 to 15 fish in the new tank?

Will a BM Nac 7 be enough for the new tank?

Do I need to invest in a chiller since I'm mostly going FOWLR and only carrying forward the limited coral pieces I have?

Will a lone Jebao WP-25 be enough for the new tank?

Would love some honest opinions.

I would probably go for the 3 x 1.5 x 2 but if you want to save space, either is fine.

I would probably go for a BM curve 5 just because I hate the pump in the NAC.

13-15? idk... depends on the fish. You can get away with higher nitrates in FOWLR, so generally you can have more fish as long as they don't fight and have enough hiding spots. Please don't put 36 fish in there.

Idk, what temp does your house/tanks get? I have seen mine get to 86 without any problems.

Rock work may make 1 pump kind of meh to keep debris suspended.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snow_Phoenix

I would probably go for the 3 x 1.5 x 2 but if you want to save space, either is fine.

I would probably go for a BM curve 5 just because I hate the pump in the NAC.

13-15? idk... depends on the fish. You can get away with higher nitrates in FOWLR, so generally you can have more fish as long as they don't fight and have enough hiding spots. Please don't put 36 fish in there.

Idk, what temp does your house/tanks get? I have seen mine get to 86 without any problems.

Rock work may make 1 pump kind of meh to keep debris suspended.

I think space is the main issue - I measured the available space from the cupboard to the doorway, and I don't think a 3' tank will squeeze in. Or if I do manage to put it, I doubt I can leave the door wide open. :(

I checked out the BM Curve 5 and it definitely looks stunning. There's a lot of planning to do though. Building the tank is one thing, but in terms of equipment etc., I might return here frequently for some consultation.

Planning on cycling the tank using a mix of dry rock and live rock. Focusing on more arches than caves. Of course I won't put 36 fish in there, silly Tam. :slap:

I think 15 fish is the max that I will go. Just out of curiosity, will I be able to do a small tang like a Kole Eye tang in a 60G+ tank? I've seen local reefers keep Yellows in tanks as small as 2', but I know that tangs would appreciate a larger space to swim. The rest of the fish will be under 5" (nano-sized most likely).

I'll go FOWLR first, keep it running like that for a year and maybe (very slight possibility) upgrade to a reef. The running temp around here is usually around 29'C to 30'C. I'll need a chiller if I decide to do reef.

Also, how many socket outlets do you recommend I fix for a new tank setup?

It'll probably have:

1 main feedback pump

1 skimmer

2 wavemakers

2 light ballast

1 refugium light

*1 chiller

So that's 8 connections. Take note I have a Freshwater tank in the same room that has two output connections (1 light + 1 motor pump) as well.

Thoughts?

I'm planning ahead btw. Will ask more on here and listen to feedback from the more experienced reefers.

15 fish sounds like a lot for that size tank. I have a 36x24x18 which is 70 gallons.

I could never imagine having 15 fish in it. In my opinion 7-8 fish max.

Snow_Phoenix

15 fish sounds like a lot for that size tank. I have a 36x24x18 which is 70 gallons. I could never imagine having 15 fish in it. In my opinion 7-8 fish max.

I currently have 9 fish in this tank alone. 15 seems to be pushing it for 60G+ FOWLR, but it's doable if you keep up with WCs and have a strong skimmer. It'll be threading a really fine line though, I've seen local reefers do double the amount in lesser space with surprisingly no ill-effects whatsoever. Still, I don't want the fish to literally swim into each other.

It really depends on the size of the tank and where they hang out. Too many fish and it just starts looking distracting to me instead of peaceful.

I have 12 fish in my 40 Breeder and 5 fish in my 45 gallon cube but there is a huge difference in the type of fish and dimensions of the tank. The 45g cube looks fuller than my 40B even though it has half as many fish because the fish in there are bigger and open water swimmers. There is a tang, angelfish, 2 clowns, and a midas blenny vs the 40B which has tiny goby's and dragonets and a few open water swimmers.

I would say you should put less fish in a cube tank then a rectangle. There is a lot less swimming space in a cube. If I were to swap my fish and put 12 in my 45g cube, it would be crowded. Fish hang out on the rocks or swim horizontally. It really doesn't matter theres 5 gallons more, there is a lot less swimming space and a lot less room for rock work. The height of the tank is more or less wasted.

You don't really have 60 gallons to work with. You have 2 foot by 2 foot to work with. If we get rid of the height, you have about 30 US gallons to work with of space to swim.

My friend has 6 dogs, he shouldn't have 6 dogs. They all are alive and "happy" but that's just because they are dogs and don't know any better. Their quality of life is less than if he had 2 dogs. Fish aren't dogs but I still feel a moderately stocked tank is going to be better for fish.

Snow_Phoenix

It really depends on the size of the tank and where they hang out. Too many fish and it just starts looking distracting to me instead of peaceful.

I have 12 fish in my 40 Breeder and 5 fish in my 45 gallon cube but there is a huge difference in the type of fish and dimensions of the tank. The 45g cube looks fuller than my 40B even though it has half as many fish because the fish in there are bigger and open water swimmers. There is a tang, angelfish, 2 clowns, and a midas blenny vs the 40B which has tiny goby's and dragonets and a few open water swimmers.

I would say you should put less fish in a cube tank then a rectangle. There is a lot less swimming space in a cube. If I were to swap my fish and put 12 in my 45g cube, it would be crowded. Fish hang out on the rocks or swim horizontally. It really doesn't matter theres 5 gallons more, there is a lot less swimming space and a lot less room for rock work. The height of the tank is more or less wasted.

You don't really have 60 gallons to work with. You have 2 foot by 2 foot to work with. If we get rid of the height, you have about 30 US gallons to work with of space to swim.

My friend has 6 dogs, he shouldn't have 6 dogs. They all are alive and "happy" but that's just because they are dogs and don't know any better. Their quality of life is less than if he had 2 dogs. Fish aren't dogs but I still feel a moderately stocked tank is going to be better for fish.

Okay.

Sorry Shadow, not trying to be a negative Nancy, just trying to put it in perspective of dimensions instead of gallons.

I'm not saying you can't have 15 fish, but choose wisely and try to avoid impulse and you can have a much more well rounded tank. The # of fish is very vague.. so many factors. If you bought a school of 15 green banded gobies, you obviously wouldn't' have a stocked tank. I seriously want a large school of those guys. lol

BTW, I think a small juvi tang would be okay. Tomini or Kole should work. Tomini being the smallest tang (what I put in my 45g).

Less IS more happiness, for fish to grow larger and to carve out their niche in the tank. If it's a fowlr every couple mos you can change up the structure shape to keep fish interested. Never will be bored with your scape, and your fish will surely utilize each inch of the tank. And if you don't like it, you can keep recreating it. Have fun with it since you won't have the burden of corals. And maybe keep it open for the idea that if a fish from one of your other tanks gets too large, you can make a transfer. And you can have the invertebrates and fish you normally wouldn't be able to put in a coral tank.

Dr.Brain Coral

I would do whatever you can take care of in a tank that size. I have seen some tanks that where beautiful but got flamed because every one said they have to many fish and all there fish are going to die. But hey they have been thriving in the time they are in the tank. Obviously they are doing something right. I think you can do it though shadow since your tanks are awesome.

I totally agree with Tambs post in that it's all what you can take care of.

Snow_Phoenix

Sorry Shadow, not trying to be a negative Nancy, just trying to put it in perspective of dimensions instead of gallons.

I'm not saying you can't have 15 fish, but choose wisely and try to avoid impulse and you can have a much more well rounded tank. The # of fish is very vague.. so many factors. If you bought a school of 15 green banded gobies, you obviously wouldn't' have a stocked tank. I seriously want a large school of those guys. lol

BTW, I think a small juvi tang would be okay. Tomini or Kole should work. Tomini being the smallest tang (what I put in my 45g).

Hi Tam, no worries. Sorry if my response was limited. I had to go afk for quite a while (the whole day) and just came back online just now. I appreciate all the advice you, Annette and everyone else has been giving me, so don't worry on my account - none of you are being negative. :)

Yes, I agree the fish type does matter - I prefer nano-sized fish or fish that won't extend beyond 6" to 7" if possible for the future build. Some reefers prefer doing two to three large 1' long fish in 60G+ tanks, but I prefer a multitude of small ones. Nano-fish are even better - if only they sold greenbanded gobies here, I'd have snagged a pair by now instead of the other fish I impulsively purchased. I really need to control my impulsions, which is why I'm limiting the amount of time I go to the stores. Honestly, my system is still too young and still stabilizing, and I don't know what gets into me - it's like I'm a kitten seeing a shiny toy for the first time when I get to the LFS. There's the excitement, the giddiness, and the sudden joy of seeing all the fish there that I just can't end up leaving empty-handed. But I must think of my present fish at first. I know they can't speak to me, but I also know it's cruel to shove them all into a glass box for my entertainment. In which case, I sincerely apologize. I am only human, and I do make terrible mistakes from time to time. :(

I googled up the Tomini, but I prefer the pattern and look of the Kole-Eye. They're both stunning fish though! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Less IS more happiness, for fish to grow larger and to carve out their niche in the tank. If it's a fowlr every couple mos you can change up the structure shape to keep fish interested. Never will be bored with your scape, and your fish will surely utilize each inch of the tank. And if you don't like it, you can keep recreating it. Have fun with it since you won't have the burden of corals. And maybe keep it open for the idea that if a fish from one of your other tanks gets too large, you can make a transfer. And you can have the invertebrates and fish you normally wouldn't be able to put in a coral tank.

I agree. But if the fish are nano-sized, will that be alright? I personally wouldn't put anything too large in a 60G+ (with the exception of that one really small tang). And yes, I'll definitely keep that in mind to break up territory lines and to make sure the fish find new 'places' to explore constantly. I will still have the very minimal corals I keep at the present, but I think the only coral I might end up actively introducing is some neon green GSP. Other than that, I don't think I'll indulge in corals since it'll require constant dosing, tricky cooling systems and the like.

If you decide to keep it FOWLR, I vote lemon peel angel. They are so beautiful but nip nip nip corals.

I saw the Lemon Peel on LA, but it says it will nip at clams. Do all angels get nippy at clams? I was considering a Flame Angel, Pygmy Cherub or even Coral Beauty, but I don't want any of them touching my Crocea. :(

I would do whatever you can take care of in a tank that size. I have seen some tanks that where beautiful but got flamed because every one said they have to many fish and all there fish are going to die. But hey they have been thriving in the time they are in the tank. Obviously they are doing something right. I think you can do it though shadow since your tanks are awesome.

I totally agree with Tambs post in that it's all what you can take care of.

Yes, but those tanks have one crucial element - stability, which is achieved at least a year or so. I personally don't think it's wrong to overstock, as long as it's done reasonably and you can provide the best for your fish. But at the same time, I don't want to go overboard. I already have nine fish in this tank. Even though they're holding up for now, God knows how long the tank system itself will hold up.

Snow_Phoenix

Also, here are some snapshots I took today. Need to scrub the glass sides free of any lingering algae, but Scooter the blenny seems to enjoy pecking at it, so I left it as it is:

Charlie and Bridgette (aquacultured Galaxy Clarkii x aquacultured tan Clarkii):

Feather duster worm with new regrown crown:

Red Bali Brain back to 100% original color. Was originally bleached to neon pink, now back to deep red:

Aries II and Athena II (Aquacultured Occy bonded baby pair) next to Implosion Green Palys and Purple Crocea clam:

This little guy deserves a medal:

This guys is excellent at sand-bed stirring, even though he dumps sand all over my corals:

Snow_Phoenix

Tank's doing really well. :)

I have some mysterious egg sacs on my front glass, I think they're Cerith eggs but I'm not too sure.

Btw, are orange fan sponges easy to take care of?

Also, how do you wean a Byno Goby onto pellets? Mine is still sifting through the sand for food, but I want to train him onto pellets ASAP.

My Algae Blenny on the other hand is super-plump and has a chubby belly. :)

Snow_Phoenix

Well, woke up to every reefer's worst nightmare. There was a loud grinding noise and this pungent smokey odor from the tank - turns out something got sucked in and jammed the impeller of the filter/skimmer combo, and no water was being sucked in although the motor was straining to do so, which resulted in it overheating. Shut the whole system off and did a quick head count - all fish, corals and inverts miraculously made it through the night. My only explanation was probably because the powerhead was still working perfectly fine and aerating the tank throughout the night, and giving enough flow.

Swung by the LFS, had one of the workers call up the manager and asked him if I could temporarily borrow one of their filter/skimmer combo units, and ta-da! He was kind enough to loan me this for the next week or two!

Quickly flipped it over, detached some of the piping and media holder racks as well as upper skimmer covers, and soaked it in a pail full of vinegar. Since Prizm floats, the motor never touches the water, which is a good thing. I'll give it a good scrub this evening and break it in.

Snow_Phoenix

FTS on 10/8/2014 under 3 different types of lighting! :)

Specifications:

HOB Filter with PhosBan and Activated Carbon --> upgrading to Red Sea Prizm Venturi HOB Skimmer
15G L curve-glass tank
Cooling Fan
96W T5HO Wavepoint Light (1 Actinic Blue + 1 Purple/Pink + 2 10 000K Daylight White)
Resun-2000 Wavemaker
12kg Dry Rock + Natural Indo-Malaya Live rock

Livestock:

1 P.Ciliata Mantis Shrimp
1 Electric Blue Leg Hermit
3 Dwarf Brown Leg Hermits
30+ Nassarius Snail
1 Astrea Tecta Snail
1 Tuxedo Sea Urchin
1 Green Brittle Starfish
1 YCG
2 Occy Clownfish (Nemo)
2 Clarkii Clownfish
1 Byno Goby
1 Algae Blenny
1 Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
1 P. truncatus Anthias
2 Feather Duster Worm
1 Purple Crocea Clam
1 Red Bali Brain Coral
1 Red Lobed Brain Coral
1 Green Pagoda Coral
Assorted Zoa Coral
1 Orange Leather Toadstool
Assorted Mushroom (Yuma + Rhodactis)
Brown Magician Palys
Implosion Green Palys
1 Green Mini Maxi Carpet Anemone
Macroalgae (Chaeto + Green Grape Caulerpa + Red Titan)

Dosing:

Kent Marine's dKH Buffer
Marinium All-in-One Buffer

Feeding:

Repashy's Spawn and Grow
Hikari Marine S
Marinium Phytoplankton
Marinium Zooplankton
SW Bloodworm
Hikari Mysis
Hikari Brine Shrimp

Regular maintenance:

3G WC per week using RSCP salt. ATO not included.

Snow_Phoenix

Great! Now UPgrade!

Also, I'm thinking around 12 fish in my 72, but most will be med. sized with one slightly larger fish.

Yes, yes - definitely will be upgrading - no more additions unless it's those fancy neon green GSPs I've been scouting high and low for. I'd crawl on my hands and knees just to get a small frag of those over here. :P

12 fish sounds good. I assume the 'large' fish will be a tang of some sort? :)

Archived