Pod Your Reef

Brad's 18" Rimless Reef & ADA 45p Planted| New Pics Page 36

brad908

Awesome. Time to send a pm me!..lol

I am glad I don't live near him anymore, he gets some of the best LPS, although $25 shipping doesn't help much since that is what it used to cost in gas haha.

25 gallons, but who's counting ;)

970C2628-19BC-4810-BAC2-508D13701298_zps

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New tank

We are getting a new couch and I will need to get a new tank. I am leaning towards ADA 30x18x18 or 36x18x18 with MAME overflow. What I need help on is the stand. We have a wood shop at work, so I will be able to get professional help. I was thinking ADA style, but maybe something with a bit more character.

Please post any really awesome stands.

_________

Oculus arrived on campus yesterday and I tested out the device today. Awesome stuff. Definitely future of gaming

333BC167-528C-4B46-ACC7-F0BD4BAC8F7F_zps

If you are goin that big you could also use 2 mames run off 1 pump without issues aswell but from experience with it I like my single. The only other type of overflow I would like would be an external overflow box on a peninsula but I am going to wait til I move to a bigger place and do it on a much larger system.

As for stands... I really want a system with an open stand but having young children is really preventing that. Julian sprungs home system is on a bright red metal frame but unclosed. I think I like the crazy color of it plus the fact its so low to the ground makes me really like it. Anyways I was thinking a crazy colored metal stand enclosed or unenclosed to match a nanobox... That'd be sick.

Go with the 36x18x18 over the 30x18x18... 30 long 18 high is a rly wierd ratio for viewing imo maybe their attempt at a 2/3rds?

Sounds like a sick upgrade! My next big tank will have a hidden overflow. I hate my center overflow now....but ohh well.

I also say 36x18x18. My tank is 36x24x18 and I love it.

Anyone out there that sells rimless peninsula tanks? Or nice rimless corner overflow tanks, cad lights has theirs in the middle.

Anyone out there that sells rimless peninsula tanks? Or nice rimless corner overflow tanks, cad lights has theirs in the middle.

Don't remind me that cad tanks have a center overflow :(

It bothers me more everyday. I love clear back tanks, but I'm about to make my background black again because of it.

If you have a little diy skills you can easily drill a tank and make a corner overflow. My next tank will be something similar. I will never have a center overflow again. Most custom builders would also do this for you. You could get a builder to do a custom tank and it might not even be much more then the ada.

Could get a custom job from chris at pic0. He does a 36x18x18 naked that you can customize however. Shipping would probably hurt but I must say I would pay more for shipping if I woulda known how my mr aqua was going to be shipped... thing came sitting on a pallet across the country held in place by saran wrap. When i saw it I almost had a heart attack until I could see it wasn't broken when i cut it open.

Could get a custom job from chris at pic0. He does a 36x18x18 naked that you can customize however. Shipping would probably hurt but I must say I would pay more for shipping if I woulda known how my mr aqua was going to be shipped... thing came sitting on a pallet across the country held in place by saran wrap. When i saw it I almost had a heart attack until I could see it wasn't broken when i cut it open.

Chris wanted $400 and $285 shipping for a 30x18x18

So maybe $600 for 36x18x18.

Oh yeahhhh. My deal breaker is that Chris won't use clear silicon. I think black silicon defeats the purpose of a rimless tank.

Cough reef savvy ;) mine looks amazing and will soon be outta storage.

Already requested a quote earlier today :)

Wonder what the price difference between hybrid and ghost overflows are

Already requested a quote earlier today :)

Wonder what the price difference between hybrid and ghost overflows are

depending on the size of the ghostoverflow I think will play a part. However the ghostoverflow in person looks sick, I'm super excited to finally have a sump.

I totally forgot about the external lifereef overflows. This is probably a much easier route than worrying about cleaning a MAME every week.

I totally forgot about the external lifereef overflows. This is probably a much easier route than worrying about cleaning a MAME every week.

I clean mine about once every 3 weeks its honestly pretty easy with a bottle brush tip attached to a string. Just slide the string through the tube and pull the bottle brush section( about 1 inch long) through the mame pieces. I am however contemplating some cam lock fittings on my return and drain just below the mame so all i gotta do is pull the levels and pull the whole unit off to clean.

Ordered the couch today, arriving a lot sooner than what we thought, probably August 8-11.

Plans:

1. ADA 60p (again) - 17 gallons - 24x12x14...not sold on this size but think the 36x18x18 is too big for the room

2. MAME overflow

3. MP10's (have)

4. Synergy sump - 22x16x15 - (have)

5. Hydor Seltz L40 return - I used this with my last 60p and liked it

6. Need protein skimmer recommendations. Used a bubble magus curve 5 on my last build

The stand will be 40"x18"x36", white quartz top and a blueish grey chalk paint with stainless steel handles. On the side of the stand will be open shelving for my tv media equipment (won't be seen when looking from the front).

Ordered the couch today, arriving a lot sooner than what we thought, probably August 8-11.

Plans:

1. ADA 60p (again) - 17 gallons - 24x12x14...not sold on this size but think the 36x18x18 is too big for the room

2. MAME overflow

3. MP10's (have)

4. Synergy sump - 22x16x15 - (have)

5. Hydor Seltz L40 return - I used this with my last 60p and liked it

6. Need protein skimmer recommendations. Used a bubble magus curve 5 on my last build

The stand will be 40"x18"x36", white quartz top and a blueish grey chalk paint with stainless steel handles. On the side of the stand will be open shelving for my tv media equipment (won't be seen when looking from the front).

sick. Skimz makes great skimmers imo, but don't do what I did last night and flood your system with crap water because you loosened the gate valve screw a hair too much.

Been sitting here looking at the synergy, I think the dimensions would make a nice display. 22x16x15". Something like 24x16x16" could be cool.

I personally like the black. What did Felix at reef savvy say? I was under the impression he only uses black silicone also. It might take a while to get used to, but it's nice to never have it change color. I had a ada that over time got a slight tint in the silicone. Took like 3 years for it to happen though.

Archived