inTank Media Baskets

Amano Styled Coldwater Tank

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I have been known to keep a few Green anemones from time to time ;) Here's a couple pics of the tank from about 2 years ago when I was holding onto a bunch of green anemones before shipping them to the Dubai Aquarium.

gallery_27219_8_11887.jpg

gallery_27219_8_20474.jpg

Did Bruce Banner not have a hotel room when visiting Oregon?

AquaticEngineer

Love the scape! What fish are those

Those are Shiner Perch. I have five of them in there that are now old enough to breed, they are a live bearing marine fish ;)

Awesome, so would the 2.5 led bowfront work for sitkas, aggregates, algea and a sculpin or two? With the 5 all the same plus another sculpin and a gunnel?

AquaticEngineer

It should work so long as the temp stays low and controlled. Hardest part with glass tanks is how quickly the temperature can rise if the room temp goes up.

AquaticEngineer

Nice! Acrylic is better, the thin acrylic doesn't help all that much though but is better than glass. Even with 1/2" acrylic you only get about a 5 degree temperature variance between the inside temp of the water and what the outside of the acrylic temperature.

I ran one of the Aqueon Evolve 8 systems as a coldwater tank (decent acrylic and tank size for the price) but the chiller ran pretty much all the time since the tank didn't insulate very well being thinner (I think 1/16th") acrylic. I couldn't deal with the constant hum of the chiller so decided to go to a thicker acrylic and a more quiet compressor based chiller on that system.

okay, and the leds wont heat the tank... also i think I can customize the filter. Lastly, when is the lowest tide in July?

I'm thinking a pair or trio of scuplins with possible a gunnel in the 5 and a pair of sculpins in the 2.5

AquaticEngineer

Its been fun in the past showing people the different tidepool critters, and I usually only like to do that with schools that are visiting the beach, but at the same time I've also ran into a few eco-zealots who wanted to dump everything I collected back into the ocean without knowing the actual laws.

So, in general I try not to collect animals anymore during holidays, or if I do, I try to do it in a fairly remote area since there are by an far more uneducated people on the beach during holidays than at any other time of the year.

AquaticEngineer

okay, so what do you think would work?

Well the low tides that weekend are super early, like at 5:43am and 6:32am so I wouldn't imagine you having that much trouble.

What was the time frame you are going to be here again?

AquaticEngineer

june 16th-july 27th

I cant wait!!!!!!! Soon im going to start a build thread...

From June 16th - 26th has some good tides as well, so if you can get out there during the week in the morning that would work. I wouldn't be able to go though, can only do weekends.

Then from the 2nd of July through the 9th are all workable tides.

Check out http://saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/oregonsites.html and you can kind of plan around what days you'll be here.

AquaticEngineer

What is the best area to find algea, shrimp and sculpins/gunnels

Best place IMO for all three would be Oceanside, OR.

To get the best idea of tides for that area look at Barview Jetty on the tide tables.

Archived