Cultivated Reef

Amano Styled Coldwater Tank

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

sweet tank! there's an old marineland lobster life support system at my work not being used. it's more of a cube and taller. i keep offering them $500 but i get rejected. i always thought it would make a great aquarium. i'm happy to see it work out for you. i'll be following.

Those marineland cubes are awesome! Sooner or later when they realize that the likelihood of them selling live seafood again after stopping is pretty slim they will sell it to you I bet :)

I bought almost all of mine that with the exception of a few from major supermarkets or restaurant chains that decided they weren't making enough money off of live seafood to justify keeping them around.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

Thats where this one came from. A Red Lobster closed and donated it to habitat for humanity, I'm assuming so they could write it off for the full value of a new model which is like $12k. I bought mine on sale from the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $225 :D

That really is a dope looking tank. Looks so classy after your restore. Really digging your DIY Kessils as well, look really cool.

AquaticEngineer

That really is a dope looking tank. Looks so classy after your restore. Really digging your DIY Kessils as well, look really cool.

this tank needs a navanax ;).

Maybe I will get another one for the nano tank again eventually. In this tank it would either get sucked into the overflow, eaten by something, or just lost in rocks.

AquaticEngineer
An Irish Lord and a Scorpionfish I caught hanging out up front of the tank this morning.

10351531_742756002442562_551040742344016

Nice is that a good price for one of these tanks?
considering he said in the retail of one of these was 12k them yes, it is an amazing deal :)
Dr.Brain Coral

Stu your not going to believe it but my parents said if I can find a lobster tabk for sale I can buy it and use it as my coldwater tank!!!

AquaticEngineer

I will keep an eye out for them via search tempest on craigslist for you :) You're in New York right?

Stu your not going to believe it but my parents said if I can find a lobster tabk for sale I can buy it and use it as my coldwater tank!!!

They probably praying you can't find one. :)

AquaticEngineer

Whats your budget for one?

AquaticEngineer

Poked around on CL out there real quick and only found a couple both in the $500 range.

Dr.Brain Coral

If I could find one for under 200 that would be great but I will br looking for a while though probably. They didn like the idea at first because chillers cost a lot to run but Since the larger volume o water would take longer to get warm and the thicker glass or acrylic would help with cold loss and since My room stays pretty cold I would only need to run the chiller on the hottest of days or when the water gets hot.

yes I am in new york. I think the red lobster in buffalo id closing so I will look there but I could be wrong.

AquaticEngineer

If you need help convincing them that the chillers don't use that much power, especially with a well insulates tank, just let me know :)

My 1/13th HP chiller uses about 200watts when its running, and it only runs for about 5 minutes every 45 minutes or so to keep a 1/2" thick acrylic 7.2 gallon tank at 55 degrees in a house that is usually 70F.

AquaticEngineer

Here is a good energy cost calculator http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/energy-cost-calculator.htm

My chiller on my small tank only costs me $2.16 per month to run. Consider that a 100 watt consumption LED fixture running on 12 hour light cycle would cost you about $4.32 per month over a tropical tank. (cost estimates done at 12cents per kWh)

It actually costs me more per month to have my porch lights on all night than it does to chill my nano tank.

Dr.Brain Coral

Okay that's awesome. They are convinced that since it's a chiller it would cost as much as a refrigerator chiller to run.

Archived