Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Seahorse Club!

Felicia

Polarcollision

Thanks for the input. My biggest hang up on lighting is price. I would prefer to go LED, but fixtures like Radions are beyond my price range. To get a Radion I would literally have to save every spare penny for 11 months. Not happening. I guess I ought to give the Razor Nano another look, though. It is cheaper. Has anyone tried using it in a planted tank yet? I know it has good enough PAR for softies, but I am suspicious about its ability to support macro algae.

I bought the 16K version and got no growth on my macroalgae. I know a lot of people are happy with the light and I wish I could say the same. I had better growth under AI nano sol than the razor. I'm a believer in broader spectrum, so I'm going with AI Hydra over the new aquarium. T5/LED combo is probably ideal though.

I just updated the Seahorse Tank Index on the first post with two new tanks: Discus' and Dixie's. I also wanted to let everyone know to let me know if there is any useful info or links you want to add to that first post. :)

So who wins the award for late replies.....I do! B) Thanks to my question there was a great discussion (about 2 pages ago). I also enjoyed reading that article from christopher - so good find there.

From everything I've been reading y'all must be running an entire smorgasbord of water treatment equipment in your sump. I really don't know how you'd fit all that into anything without one. I'm trying out a sumpless 40br on one of my other saltwater tanks and it's algae and nitrate issues are far more difficult than the ones in my 75g reef tank.

My allure here is the beauty you can get in a "small tank" and that a "small" seahorse tank would be a great compliment to larger reef tanks also in the house. From some of the things I've seen on here from your tanks, I am definitely not wrong. Or at least I don't think so :)

• Like 1

So who wins the award for late replies.....I do! B) Thanks to my question there was a great discussion (about 2 pages ago). I also enjoyed reading that article from christopher - so good find there.

From everything I've been reading y'all must be running an entire smorgasbord of water treatment equipment in your sump. I really don't know how you'd fit all that into anything without one. I'm trying out a sumpless 40br on one of my other saltwater tanks and it's algae and nitrate issues are far more difficult than the ones in my 75g reef tank.

My allure here is the beauty you can get in a "small tank" and that a "small" seahorse tank would be a great compliment to larger reef tanks also in the house. From some of the things I've seen on here from your tanks, I am definitely not wrong. Or at least I don't think so :)

No worries, I didn't respond here for a couple days either.

I actually do not have a sump on my tank. I turned my 30 gallon cube into an AIO by installing a black acrylic partition with different chambers for the equipment.

I don't plan on running alot of equipment in my sump either. Not at all a fan of high tech filtration systems. I will, however, have a Hydor Slim Skim rated for a tank 2x the size of mine. I am also going to have a sump filled with LR, and probably also a display fuge with a DSB and seagrass. Apart from that, I will do weekly 30g water changes (about 30% of the system volume), and probably also a 100% water change every month or so. It will end up being a high-nutrient environment, yes, but as I want macro algae to grow well in it, that is more a boon than a burden.

• Like 1

It is an Honor to be added to that list of Beautiful list of Seahorse Tanks. Thanks! I will let you know as I run into helpful links.

You're very welcome! Your tank definitely deserves to be in our list. None of us are experts, so its nice to have a list of people with seahorse tanks so we can ask each other questions and get ideas from each other :) Your tank is the only dwarf tank up there right now, so you're the resident dwarf expert atm!

I don't plan on running alot of equipment in my sump either. Not at all a fan of high tech filtration systems. I will, however, have a Hydor Slim Skim rated for a tank 2x the size of mine. I am also going to have a sump filled with LR, and probably also a display fuge with a DSB and seagrass. Apart from that, I will do weekly 30g water changes (about 30% of the system volume), and probably also a 100% water change every month or so. It will end up being a high-nutrient environment, yes, but as I want macro algae to grow well in it, that is more a boon than a burden.

Man, 30 gallon water changes will be a lot of work! I currently just do 15% of my water volume 1-2 times a week and that's sufficient to maintain good water quality and keep the nutrients at a good level.

• Like 1

Yeah, and it is probably overkill, but on the other hand, my bio load will be ridiculous. About half of the inhabitants will be NPS/opportunistic feeders (aka PS gorgs), which means they will be fed near-constantly, not to mention the seahorses... I am adding one thing to my filtration scheme, though- GAC in a TLF reactor. That ought to help, and if it helps enough I might end up just doing 15-20g a week. I definitely won't be doing any heavy lifting during water changes, though- I get enough of that carrying my book bag around. I fully intend to take advantage of pumps, which will make the task much less arduous. ;)

You're very welcome! Your tank definitely deserves to be in our list. None of us are experts, so its nice to have a list of people with seahorse tanks so we can ask each other questions and get ideas from each other :) Your tank is the only dwarf tank up there right now, so you're the resident dwarf expert atm!

Oh NO! No expert here! LOL I'll try to figure it out as I go, Definitely nice to have others to ask questions too although I will have an update on my thread soon, so you may want to keep an eye out. I'll try not to leave you waiting too long but work is a little crazy tonight.

Oh NO! No expert here! LOL I'll try to figure it out as I go, Definitely nice to have others to ask questions too although I will have an update on my thread soon, so you may want to keep an eye out. I'll try not to leave you waiting too long but work is a little crazy tonight.

Well you're more of an expert on dwarves than I am at this point! I've never kept them :) But yeah, we're all figuring things out as we go since their care isn't as well known as basic reef tanks. No worries if you're busy. I'll be looking forward to an update, though.

I would love to keep a seahorse tank again. The thing that always stops me is that I can't go on vacation with these guys since they can only eat target fed defrosted mysis.

At least with my hard to keep fish, I know they're constantly eating tank life and they can go a day or two fine with pellet food from a feeder.

• Like 1

I would love to keep a seahorse tank again. The thing that always stops me is that I can't go on vacation with these guys since they can only eat target fed defrosted mysis.

At least with my hard to keep fish, I know they're constantly eating tank life and they can go a day or two fine with pellet food from a feeder.

Yeah, the vacation part is kind of rough. Luckily I have a friend from my local reef club who does aquarium maintenance for bars, restaurants, doctor's offices, etc for a living. He lives just up the road from me, so my plan is to hire him to feed my seahorses while I'm gone if its for very long. When its just a weekend or something, my friend who watches my cat is able to feed them.

Yeah I use my brother in law when I am on vacation or out camping for the weekend, he can pretty much keep everything fed and alarm me if there are other issues I can pretty much talk him through them. A couple more times and he will be a brine shrimp master! LOL

Lucky that you guys have someone who can do that! I have no idea what I am going to do this summer when I go to Europe. My sister will be home, so she can feed them, but she refuses to clean skimmer cups. Which is a big problem. And I don't know about water changes, either. Not to mention top offs, and god help me if there is an emergency while I am gone! Given the time difference (I will be in Italy and France), if there is an emergency she will be on her own, and have no idea what to do.

• Like 2

Lucky that you guys have someone who can do that! I have no idea what I am going to do this summer when I go to Europe. My sister will be home, so she can feed them, but she refuses to clean skimmer cups. Which is a big problem. And I don't know about water changes, either. Not to mention top offs, and god help me if there is an emergency while I am gone! Given the time difference (I will be in Italy and France), if there is an emergency she will be on her own, and have no idea what to do.

Well I don't trust my friends to do anything besides feed. I'll only be gone for 10 days for the holidays, so I'm hoping the skimmer cup and the water change can wait that long. My friends will just be dumping in mysis and calling me if there is a crisis. It will be the first time I've left my ponies for more than a weekend, and I will definitely be worrying!

• Like 1

Hmmm... You could set up one of those external skimmer cups; you just drill/cut a hole in the bottom of the skimmer cup and feed it into a different container. That would certainly help. My trip will be three weeks, so it would be a bad idea for me to just have my sister feed them. Guess I'll have to work on persuading her in the mean time.

Hi guys, I'm new to nano reef! I have been considering Dwarf Seahorses for my 15l/ 3gal TMC. The only thing that is holding me back so far is the thought of what to do with them over the time when I go away on holiday. Could I just throw a few tubs of live Copepods into it and get someone to top them up every few days or would I need something more because the only people I think I would trust in my house when I'm away have no experience with marines never mind seahorses. Any advice on them is welcome because these would be my first seahorses.

Thanks Mark.

Can i join the club?

Of course! Welcome! Its nice to see another pony tank on here! I saw your thread a bit ago and was going to comment. Beautiful tank and seahorses. How long has it been running?

Tank has been up since August.

I love everyone's tank here! I'm so happy there's I place to learn stuff!!!

Awesome! Your tank is the same age as mine :) I'll add your tank and thread to the first post on this thread if that's ok with you. Its nice to have another person to chime in with seahorse advice! There aren't too many people with seahorses on NR.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I didn't get one..........I got two!! I'm definitely going to have to upgrade soon now! I'm going to have to double up on water changes until I do.

The newbies are the two smaller ones.

1219131650e_zpsc6f4e76c.jpg

• Like 1