Cultivated Reef

The Seahorse Club!

Felicia

The scaping on your tank is really nice so far, Felicia! I just noticed the FTS of it on the front page. What are you planning to do with those rock pillars?

• Like 1

The scaping on your tank is really nice so far, Felicia! I just noticed the FTS of it on the front page. What are you planning to do with those rock pillars?

Thanks! That photo was actually after I just threw all the corals in there at random from my frag tank and hadn't gotten a chance to place them all yet. I incorporated the rock pillars as hitches for the seahorses and they look better now that the corals are placed around them. I'd like to eventually get them covered in GSP, cloves, and xenia.

Haha. The nice thing about gorgonians is that you can do that and they still look great. Clove polyps would definitely make a nice cover for the pillars. Another option for that is Briarium, if you want to add to your gorgonian collection! Funnily enough, I had no idea that Briarium was a gorgonian until just last week. It still sort of baffles me...

• Like 1

Haha. The nice thing about gorgonians is that you can do that and they still look great. Clove polyps would definitely make a nice cover for the pillars. Another option for that is Briarium, if you want to add to your gorgonian collection! Funnily enough, I had no idea that Briarium was a gorgonian until just last week. It still sort of baffles me...

Biarium is a good idea! It all depends on if I can find some locally though. I don't want to pay shipping on any more corals. So I'll just be picking up a few things locally if I add anything else. I think I knew it was a gorgonian, but it looks more like GSP or something. Encrusting gorgonians look so much different than what most people think of as gorgonians.

Buying locally is a good idea. I would be surprised if you couldn't find some locally, though. Briarium is pretty common. When are you expecting your seahorses to get here?

Buying locally is a good idea. I would be surprised if you couldn't find some locally, though. Briarium is pretty common. When are you expecting your seahorses to get here?

I'll keep an eye out next time in at the LFS.

The seahorses are supposed to be arriving tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Yay!!!! Now you just have to suffer through one more day of waiting...

Yep! They're supposed to be here by noon tomorrow. I checked the tracking and they're currently sitting at a sort facility in Tampa. They're making such a long journey!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share a photo of my newest seahorse. She's the third one in the tank and arrive this morning from Southwatch Seahorse Farm.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo14-1.jpg.html'>photo14-1.jpg

I highly recommend Southwatch for anyone looking for nicely colored/patterned H. Erectus. My seahorses from them are very healthy so far and they definitely maintain their color. Jon (the owner) is very helpful and has spent a lot of time answering my questions and helping me pick out my seahorses. Also, they have reasonable prices and all their H. Erectus ship for free. I definitely plan to buy my 4th and final seahorse for this tank from them.

Just bought a h. Erectus over the weekend and I absolutely love her! She seems to love her new home and is eating frozen mysis 3 times a day! Looking forward into eventually getting a cube and getting a few more ponies and filling it with gorgs and macros. She is currently small, maybe a little less than 3" long when her tail is extended.

• Like 1

Thanks, i think its a red finger gorg but I'm not sure. Bought them both from a lfs.

That's awesome that your LFS had such a nice looking seahorse that is eating frozen food. Good find! :)

• Like 1

I am halfway tempted to go back and get another. They got in 20 more today. I need to wait until i get a bigger tank for them though. I picked between this one and a yellow one, the other one was pretty but there was something about the girl i got that was calling my name. Also only paid $60.

• Like 1

I am halfway tempted to go back and get another. They got in 20 more today. I need to wait until i get a bigger tank for them though. I picked between this one and a yellow one, the other one was pretty but there was something about the girl i got that was calling my name. Also only paid $60.

That's a great price. Are they captive bred?

So I'm bringing my tank dream to the test here with you guys, I wanna hear your input.

I've have more than one conversation with Zia on this topic.

Seahorse's feeding needs?

I work from 7:00am to about 6:00pm so I can put in feeding in the morning, and when I reach home... I honestly think that's kind of pushing it.

Temperature's fluctuate here in Hawai'i,

so I can invest in a chiller or a UV perhaps?

I can't keep any real corals except for a few anemone species and Zoanthids and palythoas, So I was going to get a copy of what is legal for me to have as far as macro algae and sea grass is concerned. Would a UV affect any of these in terms of what the macros or zoa's and things like that are concerned?

I'm not really interested in many fish, so I'm actually willing to go minimal to no fish with these guys.

and the biggest thing that I'm afraid to mention is I'm looking at a 40B to house about 2 horses, I'm not looking to have them breed, and I'd keep just females. I'm torn between that option though because well it's not recommended anywhere to have a tank that's lower than about 20". and because keeping two same sex seahorses or not having them be able to do their mating dance, kind of sucks for them... I mean I wouldn't wanna be cooped in a glass box, let alone deprived of some sexy time.

But anyway, I'm willing to give up my dream of seahorses if I can't provide the proper means for them.

Just looking to strike up some opinions. and I have nothing else better to do on a Wednesday night. :)