inTank Media Baskets

Would you accept this tank build?

NanoReefer411

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no way you are both going to be happy, it will either be you or them. You've done nothing wrong, they built a shitty looking tank, don't suffer because of their screw up.

I am trying to be fair with the company, but I agree it is a huge eyesore.

Fair with the company is, "we agree on this contract and we have agreed on these amendments" and it being to that standard within a tolerance.

Paandemonium

Pfsshh if this was Seiryoku he would have had them restart it days ago! Lmao but seriously you even sent them a picture of what you wanted they should have known

:unsure:

I believe the theory of bottom bracing larger tanks is due to the pressure at the bottom corners. Adding the strips would double the tear strength of the sides at the bottom where the pressure is greatest.

4" is the minimum size that can be safely run through a glass polisher so that's the reason for that.

If I where to speculate on the reason for the black mess I would say they tried to seal the front edge with black to make it match the bottom seam and they only used the clear on the inside edge. once they put the brace down it went under the brace and over the brace and they said "$H!T" and the rest is history. They are not lying about cutting them out though. It is very difficult to disassemble a sealed aquarium.

Did I miss the size of this thing somewhere in the thread?

EDIT: It looks like they built the tank with the sides resting on the bottom glass which is unorthodox.

seriously don't be a softy mate. let them know how it is in the nicest way possible. You either want the tank redone in a clean manner, or you are going to walk.

NanoReefer411

I think the tank looks awesome now. The builder was able to come up with something to hide the silicone a bit. Once my nems are in place, they will also help cover it up. I don't want it to seem like I was bashing the builder. That was not at all what I wanted from this posting. I wanted to know if I was being too picky! =) I'm a woman; and I like things perfect. In this hobby, unfortunately, some men think us women don't know anything. I thought that this may have been what the builder thought. I was COMPLETELY wrong. I sincerely thank him for trying to explain to me how they build their tanks. Here are the updated shots. Also, I knew about the eurobrace. I just didn't realize how wide it was going to be. That is my fault because he told me. I think it's going to look awesome; and I am excited now!!!!

As hobbyists, we really have no idea how they build tanks. It is my fault for not taking the time to try and understand. Don't you think it looks better now?

post-21261-0-52190300-1375219066_thumb.jpg

post-21261-0-88212000-1375219076_thumb.jpg

CBernhardt23

Who built it?

Reef Savvy will only go 18" in height with 60" length on 1/2" glass.

I'm also curious as to who built it.

They painted a black border on the under side of the bottom pane...nice cover up I suppose. Even the sloppy clear silicone is going to show once you put a high powered light(s) on the tank. You'd be amazed at things you don't/can't see until lighting goes over a tank.

Not trying to only be negative, sorry. As others have said, if you are happy with the tank and have no regrets it will be fine :)

NanoReefer411

Looks like the builder took a few toots before applying the silicone.

Toots? I am afraid I don't know what you mean. From what I understand, the bottom silicone is very hard to control once the Eurobrace goes in. The silicone joining the panes looks very clean to me from what I can see in the pictures.

They painted a black border on the under side of the bottom pane...nice cover up I suppose. Even the sloppy clear silicone is going to show once you put a high powered light(s) on the tank. You'd be amazed at things you don't/can't see until lighting goes over a tank.

Not trying to only be negative, sorry. As others have said, if you are happy with the tank and have no regrets it will be fine :)

If that is the case, I guess I will just put sand in. It is a vinyl lining that was put in place to disguise the black silicone. I would like to put down starboard, but I am wondering if it would trap a bit too much detrious?

Hello all. We are the builder of this aquarium for Gina. We didn't know this thread was happening until just recently otherwise I would have been on here a long time ago to address some of the issues being voiced here. I think Gina herself has cleared up a lot of the concerns expressed. I will just reinforce a few things for now and will happily answer any questions.

First... This 167 gallon aquarium is 60" x 32" x 20" and built entirely of 1/2" glass. As I had stated in my email to Gina that she also posted here, the euro bracing on the bottom was to reinforce the strength of the bottom seam given the borderline safety factor of an aquarium this size without any bracing. The fact that the euro bracing was going to be there and the 4" width of it was also disclosed to her during the design and approval processes. We go the extra mile and even have the edges of all our euro bracing diamond polished and edge beveled. This gives a really straight and clean line to the exposed edge at the top inside of the piece. we do not cut our own glass. Unfortunately that means our supplier can only do a minimum of a 4" width to run these through their machinery to polish the edges. Other manufacturers who use narrower bracing normally do not have the edges polished.

Second... the silicone... She had requested to have the aquarium built with black silicone yet she did not want the euro braces to be installed with black. I told her the outside edge needed to be black so we didn't have a line of clear against black along the bottom edge of the aquarium as viewed from outside. That would be unsightly in my opinion. I told her we would do it with the outer edge being black and the inner seams being clear so she didn't have the black lines in the field of the aquarium bottom as requested. This combination proved to be difficult as we had to apply additional black silicone at the outer edge where the clear and black were going to meet so we didn't get any clear squeezing out to the outside edge therefore becoming visible from the outside. the squeeze out between the bottom of the aquarium and the euro bracing is excessive because of this situation and she was also informed that those lines would not be able to controlled. You can't squeeze a line of silicone between two panes of glass and control it to be straight and even. We would love it if you could but you can't.

Lastly for now... If Gina had ever said to us that she did not want the aquarium and wanted her money back we would have fully obliged that request. This had never been voiced to us and still has not to this date. After finding this thread and reading her comments we offered her the option of cancelling her sale and refunding her money which she opted not to do in light of the black vinyl "trim" we installed to cover up the silicone line in question. We also offered that we could black out the entire bottom of the aquarium but she did not want that option.

We understand her reasons for starting this thread. Almost everyone involved in forum boards turn to them for input and opinions. That's why we are here now to help others understand the situation with this one particular aquarium.

Hello all. We are the builder of this aquarium for Gina. We didn't know this thread was happening until just recently otherwise I would have been on here a long time ago to address some of the issues being voiced here. I think Gina herself has cleared up a lot of the concerns expressed. I will just reinforce a few things for now and will happily answer any questions.

First... This 167 gallon aquarium is 60" x 32" x 20" and built entirely of 1/2" glass. As I had stated in my email to Gina that she also posted here, the euro bracing on the bottom was to reinforce the strength of the bottom seam given the borderline safety factor of an aquarium this size without any bracing. The fact that the euro bracing was going to be there and the 4" width of it was also disclosed to her during the design and approval processes. We go the extra mile and even have the edges of all our euro bracing diamond polished and edge beveled. This gives a really straight and clean line to the exposed edge at the top inside of the piece. we do not cut our own glass. Unfortunately that means our supplier can only do a minimum of a 4" width to run these through their machinery to polish the edges. Other manufacturers who use narrower bracing normally do not have the edges polished.

Second... the silicone... She had requested to have the aquarium built with black silicone yet she did not want the euro braces to be installed with black. I told her the outside edge needed to be black so we didn't have a line of clear against black along the bottom edge of the aquarium as viewed from outside. That would be unsightly in my opinion. I told her we would do it with the outer edge being black and the inner seams being clear so she didn't have the black lines in the field of the aquarium bottom as requested. This combination proved to be difficult as we had to apply additional black silicone at the outer edge where the clear and black were going to meet so we didn't get any clear squeezing out to the outside edge therefore becoming visible from the outside. the squeeze out between the bottom of the aquarium and the euro bracing is excessive because of this situation and she was also informed that those lines would not be able to controlled. You can't squeeze a line of silicone between two panes of glass and control it to be straight and even. We would love it if you could but you can't.

Lastly for now... If Gina had ever said to us that she did not want the aquarium and wanted her money back we would have fully obliged that request. This had never been voiced to us and still has not to this date. After finding this thread and reading her comments we offered her the option of cancelling her sale and refunding her money which she opted not to do in light of the black vinyl "trim" we installed to cover up the silicone line in question. We also offered that we could black out the entire bottom of the aquarium but she did not want that option.

We understand her reasons for starting this thread. Almost everyone involved in forum boards turn to them for input and opinions. That's why we are here now to help others understand the situation with this one particular aquarium.

Wow glad you posted! Thanks for clearing the air!!

I wouldn't accept that tank. I recommend LeeMar for a better american made tank

Have you seen the leemar thread?

have you seen my leemar tank?

anyways, the builder said all those issues were disclosed. if thats the truth then she should take the tank. if not, then someones a lyin'

Wow glad you posted! Thanks for clearing the air!!

Have you seen the leemar thread?

have you seen my leemar tank?

anyways, the builder said all those issues were disclosed. if thats the truth then she should take the tank. if not, then someones a lyin'

Seems like rimless are hit and miss.

I'd like to see it.

someones a lyin'

No one is a lyin' supernip. I don't remember reading anywhere on this thread that Gina said she didn't know the euro bracing would be there. She just didn't realize the size it was going to be. You can say 4" all day long but until it is seen it is sometimes hard to visualize what that will look like. Same with the silicone and he combination of the two colors. We understand she was distraught but we have been in constant communication with her about explanations and possible solutions. She has always been pleasant (although sad at times :(). We came up with the solution we have at this point and if she gets here to pick up the aquarium and does not like it in person the refund option is still available to her.

Archived