Cultivated Reef

Would you accept this tank build?

NanoReefer411

NanoReefer411

They said if they would have left the tank without the bracing, it would have been too much of a liability issue. That was their reason for putting it on there.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What thickness is the glass?

Tell them you want your deposit back as the tank isn't what you ordered. If they refuse immediately file a claim with your credit card company. Wouldn't suggest allowing them to rebuild it either as their work looks to be poor.

They said if they would have left the tank without the bracing, it would have been too much of a liability issue. That was their reason for putting it on there.

They should have told you this ahead of time.

NanoReefer411

I asked for progress pictures and they told me they did not want to give up trade secrets. If I would have gotten those pictures sent, I could have stopped them and told them I had an issue with the silicone. I have asked them if it can be fixed. I will see what they say. I have a feeling they won't be too happy with it. It honestly just bugs me. I wanted clear because of going bare bottom. If I would have known it was going to be an issue, I would have just gone with clear silicone all around. I regret it. I wish I would have known. I am just really sad and disappointed. It isn't even straight. :tears:

Don't accept the tank and get your deposit back, one way or another. Listen to yourself and not anyone here that will tell you to paint it or says it doesn't look that bad, etc, etc.

You ordered it a specific way for a specific reason and they didn't build it to your specifications, end of story.

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel.

Looks like eurobracing on the bottom panel there, which really detracts from the aesthetics of the rest of the tank. Builder might have gone with thinner glass to save up on costs and used the eurobrace. I've seen larger tanks with eurobracing on the top, but that's the first time I've seen any with bottom bracing.

If it were me, I wouldn't accept it. It isn't made to specs.

seahorsedreams

What is it with people turning out bad tanks lately! Sorry, that sux and you should NOT accept it. I'm not saying the customer should never try to work with the situation, don't get me wrong. I had a 180g 3/4" acrylic show up to my house with a hole in the wrong spot. I thought the builder was going to passout, vomit or perhaps both. We sat there and figured out something that pleased us both. If there wasn't a solution to please me, he would be carrying that 180g beast back and making me another instead of just fixing it. Your new tank will not work with your plans. I'm sure you've been thinking about a BB for awhile now. Their mistake directly and totally ruins your plans.

Is that bracing on the inside?

Are you going to scrape the bottom of the tank constantly? If not, then it's going to be covered in coraline in a few months, and you'll never notice the black. At the same time, if you aren't happy with it, then you should get your money back.

NanoReefer411

Yes, the bracing is on the inside of the tank. I've been in this hobby for 7 years. This is my first custom tank. I am just so disappointed. I am really sorry for everyone that goes through things like this. I hate complaining, but I was so excited. Now, I just feel like quitting. I don't understand how this happened. The tank was dry, from what I understand, and then the bracing went in with the clear silicone. I don't understand how the black silicone, if dry, even made it under that brace. I have been reading a lot about going bare bottom and made the decision to go bare bottom. Now, yes, this ruins my plans. I had it figured out where I would have a large enough refugium to add miracle mud or a DSB to make up for the lack of a sand bed in the main display and grow macro.

nope...no way..nada. I have to think they dont understand what bare-bottom means or just misunderstood. Got to do it over at their cost or give you back your deposit/money.
not to thread jack but where the heck have you been lol?

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do not accept the tank, get a refund, and find someone who will build to your specifications. Sure it will take a little bit more time, but better disappointment on the delivery schedule and total happiness when it finally arrives.

Sorry to hear about this NanoReefer411

As a Kickstarter project creator, I would not accept this quality of work from my manufacturers. You as a customer should not accept this quality of craftsmanship from the manufacturer. In fact they should have corrected the problem without you asking.

They are lucky that you seem to be a patient customer. Work it out with them, and if they seem unwilling, quickly cancel your payment.

Good luck, and hope to see this aquarium on Nano-reef.com when fixed.

Yes, the bracing is on the inside of the tank. I've been in this hobby for 7 years. This is my first custom tank. I am just so disappointed. I am really sorry for everyone that goes through things like this. I hate complaining, but I was so excited. Now, I just feel like quitting. I don't understand how this happened. The tank was dry, from what I understand, and then the bracing went in with the clear silicone. I don't understand how the black silicone, if dry, even made it under that brace. I have been reading a lot about going bare bottom and made the decision to go bare bottom. Now, yes, this ruins my plans. I had it figured out where I would have a large enough refugium to add miracle mud or a DSB to make up for the lack of a sand bed in the main display and grow macro.
I wouldn't accept that. Very nice tank other than that.

Don't accept the tank and get your deposit back, one way or another. Listen to yourself and not anyone here that will tell you to paint it or says it doesn't look that bad, etc, etc. You ordered it a specific way for a specific reason and they didn't build it to your specifications, end of story. Trust me, I know exactly how you feel.
Trust this guy he complained for weeks on here about his tank. :)

Trust this guy he complained for weeks on here about his tank. :)

Two tanks and two stands...in two threads! Still not happy with them either...talked to an attorney a couple of times about it all too...

Dude it seriously looks like a 3 year slapped that silicone on, do they not know how to use painters tape? Seriously man, #### that get your money back. I'm not sure how much the final cost would be but I don't think I'd ever use a tank made someone who doesn't have the ability to either know how to lay a good bead of silicone or care to pay attention to detail. Regardless if you think you're being over critical you have every right to, this is something you are spending YOUR money on. Any reputable tank maker would NEVER even think about sending this out to a customer. Not saying this should be on par with a reef savvy tank but, Felix makes tanks so nice I almost shit myself when saw one. Ask for your money back.

seahorsedreams

I have never heard of eurobracing like that. Here you are wanting BB and he gives you the worse BB EVER. Weird eurobracing and oozing black silicone. Oy vey!

Don't be disappointed. You'll find something even better.

This is going to be the last tank that I have.

:lol: ... hahahahahaahaa.... Ya right. :P

As for your question.. I suppose it is all up to you. The fact that you put bracing in a tank that is going to be bare bottom confuses me.. especially considering it appears to be a shallow tank. Seems unnecessary IMO.

If the tank builder did build what you request and paid for, then it is ultimately their fault if they screwed up the details. The shop I get my tanks from is pretty good about this sort of thing. If they screwed up they either give a discount or re-build for free (most of the time).

At the very least I would ask for a discount if you are ok with how it looks. If not, ask for a new tank free of charge.

I replied before reading the whole thread...

But "Trade Secret"?? Give me a break... It's not rocket science to silicone a tank together..

I'd reject the tank after hearing that BS. haha

Retracting previous statements, I thought the euro was on the bottom. WTF would you euro brace the inside bottom of a tank for. This is no good for bare bottom or not. Who want's to see an extra 1/2" or more of glass on the bottom?

They should easily be able to correct this if you still want to work with them. Seriously detach, and re-silicon bottom pane. Otherwise, get a refund. The side joints look really good. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would do it this way, clear silicon or not.

I run BB and I'd never accept or buy a tank that has bracing on the inside!!! It's going to look so silly.

Don't let this put you off what your plans are - this is such a poor quality build. Either have them redo the whole thing (without the brace too) or get a refund and go shop somewhere else. As per previous advice - I'd also check the glass thickness.

As a consumer, and one paying for a VERY expensive product, you should not accept poor craftsmanship. The guys who made your tank sound like DB's anyway. Tell them to use thicker glass on the tank, and no bottom bracing (don't worry about clear silicone), or you're going to walk. If they refuse to redo it or refuse to give you your deposit back, file a claim with your credit card.

Archived