ReefCleaners.org

Would you accept this tank build?

NanoReefer411

I've never seen the bottom of a small tank look like that. I've seen hundreds of tanks from all over. Only ones I've seen braced like that are freaking huge acrylic ones that get brought in pieces and bonded together at the scene.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
seahorsedreams

Can someone tell me how that bracing will make it that much stronger to warrant it's fugly nature? Real question.

They offered 30% off on bulkheads as a solution. I can't believe it.

That's.... pretty bad. Wow

Can someone tell me how that bracing will make it that much stronger to warrant it's fugly nature? Real question.

That's.... pretty bad. Wow

It won't do anything.

seahorsedreams

Here are pictures of it filled. =*( Doesn't look very good guys. What do you think?

Boo.

Tell them to take it apart, clean all the silicone off and do it like you asked in the first place. Ditch the bottom bracing thing and for your trouble you will take that bulkhead discount. How many bulkheads are we talking here.... better be a lot and they better be big. They won't loose money, only time, and they deserve that loss for trying to turn that thing out.

You were given your options.

Heres how I would handle it.

1) Did you know the expected glass thickness and did you know the eurobrace would be in there like that?

2) Have you seen other aquariums they have built?

If the first two are "yes" and you still went ahead with the tank you seem like you are now having buyers remorse....

If the tank does not meet the contract requirements:

1) Tell the tank builders that you would rather they did the tank right instead of cancelling the order.

2) If they refuse, call your CC company and dispute the charge.

3) Refuse every sort of "deal" except for the contract to be fulfilled properly.

Probably not the best link to send to your builder, unless you specified no eurobracing on the bottom (I see a eurobrace on the elos knockoff). Regardless, that silicon job is atrocious even when filled.

I'm also not buying the we don't show our in progress pictures. I've had a few custom tanks and sumps built before and they always send me the pictures, from concept to the finish. I'm currently shopping around for a custom stand and stumbled upon someone that I've never dealt with before (rendered drawings from the builder).

01.%20ERIC%20closed%20door.jpg

02.%20ERIC%20open%20door.jpg

03.%20ERIC%20open%20door.jpg

I am not having buyers remorse. I wanted the tank perfect that is all.

Please don't misunderstand my post..

I was not intending to attack you at all. There must be give and take between builder and buyer otherwise things will never be ok for either of you guys..

Here's a good question for you. What was the exact in writing specs that you ordered?

sorry to say this but its really an eye sore. it would bother me if i had to take it like that plus you paid a fortune and you wanted to get it done right.

I have to agree that even if you wanted the eurobrace, you shouldn't take it. As a business owner, that guy knows that if he messes up a customer's order, he's probably going to have to take a loss.

disaster999

if you sent them a picture of how you want your tank to look like, and they said they can do it. then makes you a tank that doesnt remotely look like the picture and their only remorse is saying sorry and offering bulkheads at 30% off, i would walk away. im not even gonna bother with having your deposit back. just find another tank manufacture that can build your tank the way you want it.

NOW...if you turn out to be another seiryoku....get your flamesuit ready

just a noob

Get your deposit back and go somewhere else. It sounds like rather than spend the extra money on 3/4" glass they decided to try and get away with a euro brace. I would also send them a link to bulk reef supply's bulkheads asking why theirs cost so much.

richardcharliesam

You're being nice. I get it. If you don't want the tank, tell them so. If the work is not up to your standard or what you expected of them, tell them what they need to do to fix it.

Seeing the RC link, they kind of adhered to what you wanted, that tank has bracing and looks to be using black silicone also. Granted their bracing is HUGE and the silicone work is not as clean (though I am not sure if the viewing edges are even crooked or if it's the bottom splotches that are making it look so), but it's certainly similar.

If it were me, I would as them to make the bracing less intrusive (as shown in the reference link) and for them to ensure that the silicone work is clean as the tank is going to be barebottom, otherwise I wouldn't take it.

Florida reef

If I ordered a tank and it wasn't exactly what I wanted or agreed to, I'd try to get my money back and go to a reputable tank builder. Also, the whole excuse they gave for not sharing in process pictures is a joke. Anyone can see what an in process tank looks like with a quick google search. My opinion is they knew they screwed up, they continued building so it would make it harder for you to dispute and more likely for you to accept a custom tank that wasn't exactly what you wanted.

There is a reason custom tanks are so much, and that is because they are supposed to be exactly what the customer ordered.

Good luck!

Paandemonium

If you clearly stated the clear silicone part screw them, its your money and you gave it to them to build you something you would like. Do you have a written up contract, statement, or emails about what you asked for? The proof will be in the pudding(should you need proof) or in the pre-sent digital text in this case.

I told you what you should do pages ago :)

As to their email response, they are idiots. I've never seen, nor has anyone here I believe, euro bracing on the bottom of a tank. The top is another story as what they said about it requiring it on the top if it is taller than 20" is mostly true. I only know of one builder that will build a tank taller than 20" without euro bracing it, but even so probably not on a 60" long tank.

As to needing a flamesuite if you end up like me, don't worry about it. People here like to try and push you around and shove their opinions up your ass, but very few have ever actually been in this situation.

Archived