Coral Vue Hydros

Would you accept this tank build?

NanoReefer411

NanoReefer411

I had this aquarium built. I need to know if I am being over critical of this tank build? I wanted to run the tank bare bottom, thus why I asked the tank builder to do the bottom silicone in clear and the other black. The black silicone seeped through under the bracing on the aquarium. Maybe I am being over critical, but for the price I paid, I just want to be happy. I wanted others opinions. This is going to be the last tank that I have. I just wanted everything to be perfect. The tank is starphire on all 3 sides. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Would you accept this?

post-21261-0-15094400-1374612963_thumb.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the bottom front silicone supposed to be clear? It isn't straight at all, or is this before trimming?

NanoReefer411

Nope that is how it looks. That is what I don't like. This is the finished product. The silicone under the bracing is supposed to be clear, but the black somehow made its way under the bracing.

I would say tough choice. Most likely it wasn't anticipated for the black silicon to creep. Obviously clear wouldn't have been a problem. I don't know the dynamics of mixing silicons enough to know why it would run that far.

You could put it on a black stand or a stand with black foam and you'd never see it. You also may change your mind down the road and want sand in which it would be a moot point.

I don't think you're wrong if you want it corrected. Personally, I would take it as is and use black foam under it. I put foam under all my flat bottom tanks anyway.

regardless of that, which is a concern the front looks like crap. Is this your picture or one that was sent by the builder for approval?

NanoReefer411

I wish I would have known this could have happened, because I definitely would have just went with clear silicone. This was taken by a friend of mine who happened to be at the tank builders picking something up.

I have not picked the tank up yet. I have to drive a ways to get it. He hasn't sent me pictures of the finished product. My friend took these pictures. I am bothered by it personally. Although I have had 2 people tell me I am being overly critical.

I'm assuming the picture is a little deceiving because of the angle. The black silicon isn't actually on the front panel, correct?

NanoReefer411

It is under the bottom bracing I think. I don't know for sure. I think you can tell better from the side picture.

Yes, the rest of the tank looks beautiful. The bottom looks bad. =( I don't know what to do.

It's your right as a consumer to not accept the work if your complaint is poor craftsmanship. Unless you agreed to purchase it "as-is" I don't think that you should me made to accept anything that isn't perfect.

In the end, the actual silicone'ing isn't that expensive, so I don't imagine it should be too much of an issue for the builder to try again. I'd suggest you let the builder know you're not happy with how it turned out and ask if it wouldn't be too much of an issue to try again. If they refuse, I'd withhold payment pending a resolution of the issue.

It comes down to poor craftsmanship, really. If they're holding themselves out as professionals, there's a certain expectation that should be met. If they haven't met it, you have every right to complain.

Stick up for yourself here and take the position that you will not accept an inferior product. If you happen to have already paid (or put down a big deposit) and it's non-refundable, what's the worst-case-scenario? You have to accept the tank? If so, might as well say something because if you keep silent, you'll have the same result.

BeardedReeferLLC

Paint the bottom black? I wouldn't make such a fuss over it. going BB you will most likely have coralline growing everywhere anyways.

BUT

IF the builder did do this before and it came out different from other pictures then I would have an issue.

BUT

IF you asked to do it this way and the builder hadn't done this then I would wipe my tears with sandpaper and be on my way.

Disclaimer:

Just my .02

NanoReefer411

I had it built/made from scratch. I put down a large deposit. I have not finished paying for this. I made sure to look at his other tank build before buying of course. I didn't see anything like this in the other builds. It is a store.

masterbuilder

nope...no way..nada. I have to think they dont understand what bare-bottom means or just misunderstood. Got to do it over at their cost or give you back your deposit/money.

If it isn't what you want and especially not what you specified, do not accept it as is. I could go on and on...read my 60g Cube thread if you want to find out how I was screwed by Lee Mar.

Do not accept anything other than what you ordered. If something about the tank bothers you even a little, it will eat away at you over time. Also, I've never seen a builder have to brace the bottom like that, ever. What are the tank dimensions?

Definitely don't accept it. even if you wanted black silicone on the bottom I wouldn't accept it. That has to be the worst silicone job I've seen in a while. Also wondering about the brace. I can't think of any scenario where that would provide any benefit. If it's because he didn't use thick enough glass tell him to redo it and use thicker glass without the pointless brace.

NanoReefer411

That is what I am afraid of. It eating away at me. I did specify that I wanted the silicone clear on the bottom because I was going barebottom. They knew and commented that they didn't like bare bottom tanks. I told him I wanted to go barebottom because the tank was starphire and I wanted less of a risk of scratching the tank. We had a discussion on it. I will check out your cube build. The dimensions of the tank are 60"long by 32 inches deep.

That is a decent size tank, how tall is it? Would imagine, from past quotes I've received for various custom built tanks, that 3/4" glass should be used. If that tank is built with 1/2" glass I would be afraid to fill it.

The bracing along the bottom simply gives more surface area for the silicone to bond to, but shouldn't be needed at all if the glass is of proper thickness, craftsmanship is where it should be and a high quality silicone is being used.

If clear was to be used and it wasn't that tank is very simply not what you ordered and or paid for. Was the deposit cash, check, credit, paypal?

NanoReefer411

I used my credit card just in case I had problems. The tank is only 20 inches tall. So, I am not being overly critical?

I wouldn't say you are, but there are those that probably would say yes. What matters, all that matters, is you. It is your tank, your money, etc. If they didn't use clear on the bottom and they were supposed to it is an easy out for you, regardless of the actual reasons.

I had a 36x24x20 built by Lee Mar, they wouldn't go any higher than 20" without euro bracing the top. Length isn't usually too much of an issue, but the quotes I got in the past were only for a max of 48" wide. Your tank at 60" wide may require 3/4" glass even if it is only 20" tall. I'd find out the glass thickness if you don't already know it.

NanoReefer411

I don't think I am being overly critical. I wanted to run it bare bottom. I don't want to pain the bottom of the tank black. I am going with a blue background. A shadowbox idea. I'm just really disappointed that the black silicone ended up like that. I don't understand how it even happened. The tank was completely built and from what I understand dry when they went to install the bottom brace. I wanted clear, I got black and it isn't even straight. Ugh.

Archived