Top Shelf Aquatics

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

Good job on the plumbing broski! Did i miss a new system/FTS?

Thanks! You missed all sorts of goodies. Actually not really :lol: Just setting up another tank. 24" cube, same tank as Lawn. Haven't decided if it will be a second tank or complete upgrade yet! Getting a Nanobox light for it too. LED's are the way to go right? :)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No i seen and commented on your new tank a few pages ago. So i was current till than :) Man two tanks can be a chore. But if your up for the work than why the hell not :D Just dont let this hobby become a jobby and get burned out though! The only way/reason i run two tanks is because there tied into one sump as you know. Could you mange that somehow?

Do bears sh!t in the woods?! #### Yes LEDs is the way to go!!!!!!! Dude my tank dropped 2 degrees from switching to them. Now my temp doesnt fluctuate at all. Not to mention the $ and chore of changing the bulbs every 8-10 months.

I haven't yet. I wasn't sure if I could glue it without doing damage, or if it staying in this tank or moving to the new one

B)

ALWAYS 110% of the time remove from the original plug, I don't care where you get it from or how much you trust the person/place..... dip (I prefer bayer over everything else), remove from plug (bone cutters or saw preferred, wire cutters will work... actually cut the base of the acro itself off including the glued part (I always pitch it, as this is where a strong percentage of AEFW eggs will be hiding and aren't easy to see ;)), re-glue to a new plug or rock work directly.

ALWAYS 110% of the time remove from the original plug, I don't care where you get it from or how much you trust the person/place..... dip (I prefer bayer over everything else), remove from plug (bone cutters or saw preferred, wire cutters will work... actually cut the base of the acro itself off including the glued part (I always pitch it, as this is where a strong percentage of AEFW eggs will be hiding and aren't easy to see ;)), re-glue to a new plug or rock work directly.

+1000 SOLID ADVISE!

No i seen and commented on your new tank a few pages ago. So i was current till than :) Man two tanks can be a chore. But if your up for the work than why the hell not :D Just dont let this hobby become a jobby and get burned out though! The only way/reason i run two tanks is because there tied into one sump as you know. Could you mange that somehow?

Do bears sh!t in the woods?! #### Yes LEDs is the way to go!!!!!!! Dude my tank dropped 2 degrees from switching to them. Now my temp doesnt fluctuate at all. Not to mention the $ and chore of changing the bulbs every 8-10 months.

Then I guess all you missed was that it is filled and plumbing was done. Putting sand and rock in tonight.

My original tank isn't drilled so it would be a bit of a task to have it run on the same sump. I've only had LED's so I can't comment on much but I like mine for sure :)

Good to know! Looks like I have a plug transfer to do tonight..

Edit: that sounds strange :lol:

Good to know! Looks like I have a plug transfer to do tonight..

Edit: that sounds strange :lol:

In all honesty at this point it would likely be to late cuz I know you've had it for a little while but dipping it again wouldn't be a horrible idea and if you transfer it to the new tank remove the base then...... I take my craziness to the point that when I do a tank change anything not encrusted onto the rocks gets cut, dipped and reglued just to make sure I am good and not transferring over STDs too lol

Personally I would even split it into 2 frags, one for each tank so you have a back up piece if you really like it... or one to frag off of and one to just grow out ;)

These crazy SPS tricks! Jk thats what I plan on doing with some of my favorite "weeds" as some people call them. Might as well do the same with SPS too.

So question for you. If I have the acropora and it looks good, and I have a pink bird nest that looks good, but my garf bonsai looks like a brown turd with lime green polyps, could it just be lighting? Obviously the water is good enough for some sps

These crazy SPS tricks! Jk thats what I plan on doing with some of my favorite "weeds" as some people call them. Might as well do the same with SPS too.

So question for you. If I have the acropora and it looks good, and I have a pink bird nest that looks good, but my garf bonsai looks like a brown turd with lime green polyps, could it just be lighting? Obviously the water is good enough for some sps

Yeah I know it seems kinda crazy and like a lot, but AEFW aren't fun from what I've heard, so I try to avoid them (and help others that are cool) avoid them as well!

To be honest there are strains of the garf (or ones passed off as garf....) that tend to be more brown regardless then you see in alot of pics with the nice purple. If you saw where it came from and it was purple and has since turned brown I would give it more light as that is the likely culprit ;)

Yeah I know it seems kinda crazy and like a lot, but AEFW aren't fun from what I've heard, so I try to avoid them (and help others that are cool) avoid them as well!

To be honest there are strains of the garf (or ones passed off as garf....) that tend to be more brown regardless then you see in alot of pics with the nice purple. If you saw where it came from and it was purple and has since turned brown I would give it more light as that is the likely culprit ;)

Yea i've seen a few threads on R2R about the horrors of AEFW. Also, who knows if its actually a garf, but it definitely was purple when I picked it up. its encrusting nicely, just brown :lol:

Shit bastards flatworms of any variety, they suckbigdonkeyballz! After my recent fiasco of killing my red planaria ones and killing some prized corals in the process. I would strongly advise and will heed Chris's dipping advise going forward. No more FN unwanted pests if i can help it! I easily lost over 1500.00 of SPS and it couldve been prevented, ugh!

Oh and my bonsai thrives (or did anyway, up until last week) Under strong light and really strong flow! It could also be a flow issue.

Shit bastards flatworms of any variety, they suckbigdonkeyballz! After my recent fiasco of killing my red planaria ones and killing some prized corals in the process. I would strongly advise and will heed Chris's dipping advise going forward. No more FN unwanted pests if i can help it! I easily lost over 1500.00 of SPS and it couldve been prevented, ugh!

Yeah I read about that shit man it really blows! :( Atleast you learned from it and now have some open real estate for some new goodies.... although I have to admit I haven't seen alot of great new stuff coming out lately. Alot of fresh off the boat looking stuff with potential but I don't like dropping big retail coin on potential cuz it always has the potential to not hold colors in captivity too :(

Oh and my bonsai thrives (or did anyway, up until last week) Under strong light and really strong flow! It could also be a flow issue.

+1 on the flow, I often forget people don't always run massive amounts in mixed/ polyp tanks lol But yeah definitely light or flow issue IMO

Legendary Corals

Stopped by the LFS today...

14460517642_483a03b8fe.jpg

Cant wait for this one to open. No joke the polyp was the size of a quarter

14458532341_9b0650a143.jpg

Also this is for Chris, a better picture of the SPS

14461880845_643b99a103.jpg

14460771244_ce2aca11cf.jpg

Great looking additions! Looks like you're getting a bit of the stick bug? ;)

Looks like you're getting a bit of the stick bug? ;)

This dudes got excellent taste! It was only a matter of time before he got bit by the bug. ^ this particular acro above is a hell of start, stunning piece!

Great looking additions! Looks like you're getting a bit of the stick bug? ;)

Possibly...we'll see if I've truly gone to the sps side once I have more room. Ran out of space for z/p's so I moved to sticks and found that I kinda like them :)

This dudes got excellent taste! It was only a matter of time before he got bit by the bug. ^ this particular acro above is a hell of start, stunning piece!

Thank you thank you :)

It is brighter and much cleaner over here :)

Idk I've got some pretty bright zoas. My biggest fear with sps is them losing color and not gaining it back. You always see them with awesome colors in the sale pictures but I'm still not confident I can keep that same color

Idk, I started with softies just like everyone else and then evolved into SPS. I took the same stance Chris does for a long time, but then realized that there's room in the tank for a little bit of everything :). I'll be starting on the return of my 40 early next week since the last piece of the puzzle is now on it's way to Tx. I plan to make it a pretty freakin' sweet mixed reef.

Idk I've got some pretty bright zoas. My biggest fear with sps is them losing color and not gaining it back. You always see them with awesome colors in the sale pictures but I'm still not confident I can keep that same color

There's nothing more stunning and more gratifying than a mixed reef. I especially appreciate the mix of sps and z/ps because palys are like the grass/carpet of the forest and the acros are like the trees. SPS is certainly challenging at times to maintain there colors, growth health in general. But when you get things dialed in and everything's happy. Best feeling ever!

Idk, I started with softies just like everyone else and then evolved into SPS. I took the same stance Chris does for a long time, but then realized that there's room in the tank for a little bit of everything :). I'll be starting on the return of my 40 early next week since the last piece of the puzzle is now on it's way to Tx. I plan to make it a pretty freakin' sweet mixed reef.

Not the last piece bro. You still need new bulbs. I shipped the light with the old ones. But they definitely will need a changing stat.

I was talking about the lights being brighter lol

Not the last piece bro. You still need new bulbs. I shipped the light with the old ones. But they definitely will need a changing stat.

Well, yeah, that too! lol

There's nothing more stunning and more gratifying than a mixed reef. I especially appreciate the mix of sps and z/ps because palys are like the grass/carpet of the forest and the acros are like the trees. SPS is certainly challenging at times to maintain there colors, growth health in general. But when you get things dialed in and everything's happy. Best feeling ever!

I'm thinking the new tank will be a total mixed reef. Z/ps throughout, sps, and some lps thrown in the mix! First order coming straight from Glen too :)

I'm thinking the new tank will be a total mixed reef. Z/ps throughout, sps, and some lps thrown in the mix! First order coming straight from Glen too :)

Dd you get the pics I sent you?

Archived