Cultivated Reef

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

If you have bubble algae don't think twice. I tried removing it and 8 emerald crabs and a fox face with no luck.

Yea I can see some bubble algae hiding in the crevices. I removed it all from the most obvious places just so I didn't throw my tank out the window staring at it any longer but it's starting to creep into view again.

Not sure which corals I can keep though without bringing it over!

Where'd you get your new rock?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I can see some bubble algae hiding in the crevices. I removed it all from the most obvious places just so I didn't throw my tank out the window staring at it any longer but it's starting to creep into view again.

Not sure which corals I can keep though without bringing it over!

Where'd you get your new rock?

BRS and Marco bought from both places.

Nice pics bro! Are you gonna just buy the macro lens?

Thanks. Nah I returned it this past Monday. It's nice to use but not gonna put down that cash right now.

Beautiful macro shots! I really enjoyed looking at them. I'm sorry to hear about your zoas though. That has got to be frustrating.

If I could pick my tank up, I think I'd throw it out the window. So since I can't do that, I decided I'll take pictures of the sky instead

20045732960_49fb9783e6_h.jpg

20045748780_97df8a4bc2_h.jpg

Nanofreak79

Dude your making a big deal out of bubble algae. I use a syphon with a 1/4" or 3/16" rigid tubing hooked to airline. You'll be pulling out little water while sucking up the bubbles and any spores they might be releasing. This and more water changes along with scraping any frag plugs with a scalpel to remove the bubbles and taking off a little layer of frag plug or rock. You can get rid of it!

Oh and I no longer have BA, I've dealt with BA before and won the battle!

Dude your making a big deal out of bubble algae. I use a syphon with a 1/4" or 3/16" rigid tubing hooked to airline. You'll be pulling out little water while sucking up the bubbles and any spores they might be releasing. This and more water changes along with scraping any frag plugs with a scalpel to remove the bubbles and taking off a little layer of frag plug or rock. You can get rid of it! Oh and I no longer have BA, I've dealt with BA before and won the battle!

Nah it's not even the bubble algae that's bugging me. I'm planning on removing my sand bed this weekend to help remove all the nastys. I've got a mean hair algae forest growing and zoas are dropping like flies unfortunately. Need to test water to see what's going on but just haven't had a chance to

Is that a satellite or a shooting star you got a picture of?

I wish I knew. I used a few different "sky guides" to locate the Milky Way and didn't notice any satellites supposed to pass through. So I think it's a star but can't say for certain

Nanofreak79

Oh! Sorry dude. Losing corals sucks. Maybe get some live rock from MD that has no pests algae etc. good luck buddy.

Great shot for night time. I am planning on doing some as well.

Just simma down now! Do a couple larger H20 changes and while doing that pull some gunk out.

-Dave

If I could pick my tank up, I think I'd throw it out the window. So since I can't do that, I decided I'll take pictures of the sky instead

20045732960_49fb9783e6_h.jpg

20045748780_97df8a4bc2_h.jpg

:wub:

I wish I knew. I used a few different "sky guides" to locate the Milky Way and didn't notice any satellites supposed to pass through. So I think it's a star but can't say for certain

I was gonna ask, is that the milky way or clouds?

Really nice pics. What camera and settings? I gotta get out with my camera more, I think the past year the only pics I've taken are of my tanks!!

Cool sky pics. I wonder what that is.

Thanks! Funny enough i didn't even see it live because I was looking at the camera. Then the picture preview popped up and bam there it was!

Great shot for night time. I am planning on doing some as well.

Just simma down now! Do a couple larger H20 changes and while doing that pull some gunk out.

-Dave

Thanks Dave. It was really fun and amazing to see just what we're missing under city lights. Got a water change planned for today so let's hope it gets things moving on the right track.

:wub:

I was gonna ask, is that the milky way or clouds?

Really nice pics. What camera and settings? I gotta get out with my camera more, I think the past year the only pics I've taken are of my tanks!!

Thanks! Yep that's the Milky Way. Horrible planning on my part as these were taken under the full moon around midnight. I'll be going out in two weeks when the it's a new moon so there won't be any extra light and hope to see the Milky Way in even more detail.

Camera was a Canon t3i with a 16mm f2.0 lens. Most of the pics that turned out were about 20 second shutter speed and ISO 1600. Next time I plan on bumping ISO up to around 3200 as most of these were underexposed when I got them on the computer. Easier to post correct overexposed sky than underexposed.

That's a bristleworm. Just leave it be, they're the best (and free-est) member of your cleanup crew. :)

Well he's got plenty to clean! Thanks Ben

jedimasterben

I'm jelly. I killed 100% of my bristleworm/fireworm population while trying to get rid of dinoflagellates. I had hundreds upon hundreds of them.

IMG_6297.jpg

This big bastard was a true fireworm. Still welcome in my tank, but once you know you have them, you will want to wear gloves when moving rocks around :)

IMG_6308.jpg

Camera was a Canon t3i with a 16mm f2.0 lens. Most of the pics that turned out were about 20 second shutter speed and ISO 1600. Next time I plan on bumping ISO up to around 3200 as most of these were underexposed when I got them on the computer. Easier to post correct overexposed sky than underexposed.

what?! i always thought it's easier to correct underexposed than overexposed. maybe it's different for night skies.

sorry to hear about your zoa problems. beginner coral my butt...i lost more money in zoas than anything else.

what?! i always thought it's easier to correct underexposed than overexposed. maybe it's different for night skies.

sorry to hear about your zoa problems. beginner coral my butt...i lost more money in zoas than anything else.

My understanding of it is in most circumstances the camera sensor has plenty of light so it's easier to underexpose. But when shooting at night the camera needs all the light it can get to capture all the details so overexposing is best. That's how it worked for me too. All the shots that I had a tad overexposed turned out better. And yep zoas are certainly the most costly coral in my tank. In money spent and money lost

I'm jelly. I killed 100% of my bristleworm/fireworm population while trying to get rid of dinoflagellates. I had hundreds upon hundreds of them.

This big bastard was a true fireworm. Still welcome in my tank, but once you know you have them, you will want to wear gloves when moving rocks around :)

I wear gloves as it is. Don't like when unknown things crawl around my hands. That and my clownfish is a mega bitch and bites me every chance she gets :lol:

My understanding of it is in most circumstances the camera sensor has plenty of light so it's easier to underexpose. But when shooting at night the camera needs all the light it can get to capture all the details so overexposing is best. That's how it worked for me too. All the shots that I had a tad overexposed turned out better. And yep zoas are certainly the most costly coral in my tank. In money spent and money lost

I wear gloves as it is. Don't like when unknown things crawl around my hands. That and my clownfish is a mega bitch and bites me every chance she gets :lol:

*(&%#^ clownfish...

*(&%#^ clownfish...

She killed my other clownfish too. Made him jump out the tank! I just call her the big bitch when anyone asks about the fish in my tank

Archived