SaltCritters.com

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

I have the back to school blues too, first day at the new school is the 25th :unsure:

Busy week next week getting ready, knocking out some projects at the ranch, and cramming in as much nothing as possible, but I'll try to get a new picture up. Main problem is getting the white balance right with the LEDs, it's a chore :P

Good luck! My son came home exhausted. At first he said he hated it. But then he started talking about his day and decided it wasn't that bad. He's just not ready to start working again.

He said the cafeteria layout is just like in the movie Napoleon Dynamite, which is cool. It's one of his favorite movies :).

I didn't have my first day of high school today and I feel as exhausted as him :lol:. Guess I went to bed too late and got up too early today :).

No new corals on the way yet this week LOL. I checked UC this morning...I should check again :lol:. I do have an order coming from live-plants this week. Some macros, snails, and pods....always fun stuff :D.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remember feeling disoriented for weeks when I went to high school. It was a big high school. I had like 850 in my graduating class so multiplying that for the other 3 grades, it was large, a little intimidating. And of course I missed the bus home the first day because I didn't check what number bus I was to take home, I got all flustered and said screw it and called my mom.

I just remember feeling disoriented for weeks when I went to high school. It was a big high school. I had like 850 in my graduating class so multiplying that for the other 3 grades, it was large, a little intimidating. And of course I missed the bus home the first day because I didn't check what number bus I was to take home, I got all flustered and said screw it and called my mom.

His school is pretty big, but I don't think as big as yours was. I asked him if he had trouble finding classes...he said not at all :).

This is the first year I don't have to drop him off at school nor pick him up (no school buses here). We live 3 blocks from the high school :happydance:. I'll be saving money on gas, and I don't have to get dressed so early in the morning to drive him there :lol:. I still get up to make his breakfast and a sack lunch.

His school is pretty big, but I don't think as big as yours was. I asked him if he had trouble finding classes...he said not at all :).

This is the first year I don't have to drop him off at school nor pick him up (no school buses here). We live 3 blocks from the high school :happydance:. I'll be saving money on gas, and I don't have to get dressed so early in the morning to drive him there :lol:. I still get up to make his breakfast and a sack lunch.

Ahh, high school. So glad that's over :lol: though at times the law school cliqueyness feels like high school only with a bunch of over-achieving type-A personalities :wacko:. That's nice that it's within walking distance though. Not sure what it's like for his district, but with all the budget cuts bus rides are ridiculously long now, and that's assuming you're even located on one of the few routes. Sad, because there's even more kids probably needing public transit now than when I was in hs (population 2000 kids for grades 10-12).

Oooh, what macros are you getting?

I'm disapponted Gena. Haven't been here in a while and when I do there's no pancake or biscuit talk lol. Your tank is looking beautiful. I got that cherry blasto from Unique too. I'll be interested if your magic touch causes some growth. It's been in my tank for two months and still no babies :(
I've just started to heavily feed him everyday now though so soon hopefully.

Ahh, high school. So glad that's over :lol: though at times the law school cliqueyness feels like high school only with a bunch of over-achieving type-A personalities :wacko:. That's nice that it's within walking distance though. Not sure what it's like for his district, but with all the budget cuts bus rides are ridiculously long now, and that's assuming you're even located on one of the few routes. Sad, because there's even more kids probably needing public transit now than when I was in hs (population 2000 kids for grades 10-12).

Oooh, what macros are you getting?

Law school sounds great LOL :D.

I just ordered some lobophora for the fuge. It said it doesn't need intense lighting and it's not known to be palatable to fish and inverts. I have quite a few crabs down in the fuge so this should be perfect :).

I'm disapponted Gena. Haven't been here in a while and when I do there's no pancake or biscuit talk lol. Your tank is looking beautiful. I got that cherry blasto from Unique too. I'll be interested if your magic touch causes some growth. It's been in my tank for two months and still no babies :(

I've just started to heavily feed him everyday now though so soon hopefully.

Mmmmmm....blueberry pancakes! I should have made that for dinner tonight. Instead it's meatloaf :lol:.

Thanks so much for the compliments! Awesome you have the cherry blasto too :happydance:. I feed mine every second day or so. I think feeding them is key. I bet you start seeing some growth soon :) I'll update if I notice any babies.

Took a couple of photos for the new page :).

IMG_8279_zps8da5c507.jpg

IMG_8281_zpsa20241e5.jpg

I just ordered some lobophora for the fuge. It said it doesn't need intense lighting and it's not known to be palatable to fish and inverts. I have quite a few crabs down in the fuge so this should be perfect :).

Mmmmmm....blueberry pancakes! I should have made that for dinner tonight. Instead it's meatloaf :lol:.

Thanks so much for the compliments! Awesome you have the cherry blasto too :happydance:. I feed mine every second day or so. I think feeding them is key. I bet you start seeing some growth soon :) I'll update if I notice any babies.

IMG_8279_zps8da5c507.jpg

IMG_8281_zpsa20241e5.jpg

Those lips! :lol:

What kind of camera do you use?

It's a Canon rebel t2i that desperately needs a macro lens :lol:. I've been "desperately" needing one for over a year. I could probably have bought a few, by now, with the money I've spent elsewhere on the tank.

It's a Canon rebel t2i that desperately needs a macro lens :lol:. I've been "desperately" needing one for over a year. I could probably have bought a few, by now, with the money I've spent elsewhere on the tank.

Thanks, I'm looking into a DSLR. I plan on waiting till cyber monday but I prolly won't wait that long lol.

IMG_8279_zps8da5c507.jpg

IMG_8281_zpsa20241e5.jpg

Law school... <_< ehh, it has its perks. I've met some great people here.

My lobo all died so hopefully yours does better :lol:. That acro pops against your montis!

Yea Gena; no food posts?! What's up with that? I might have to post some dishes on your thread.

That Wrasse looks cool. How long is it?

David

Mr. Microscope

Ooh Ooh! Blasto factory! I'm lovin' it! Very very nice.

Your caps are really getting amazing too. Love how that purple one is spinning around.

:eek::eek:omgomgomgomgomgomg Amazing!

Thank you :flower:

Law school... <_< ehh, it has its perks. I've met some great people here.

My lobo all died so hopefully yours does better :lol:. That acro pops against your montis!

Got it today...plus a bunch of snails. Live-plants' snails are super healthy. I have better luck with them than with reef cleaners. I don't think I had a single loss!!!!! I got a bunch of nerites and ceriths including the dwarf variety. I put some of them into the 8g but most in here. The macro is really nice too. Hopefully it does well for me :).

Yea Gena; no food posts?! What's up with that? I might have to post some dishes on your thread.

That Wrasse looks cool. How long is it?

David

Nope...no food posts LOL. I haven't baked in a while. Too fattening LOL. The wrasse is probably around 2" :).

Ooh Ooh! Blasto factory! I'm lovin' it! Very very nice.

Your caps are really getting amazing too. Love how that purple one is spinning around.

Yeah...lovin' the blastos a LOT :lol:.

The purple monticap has really taken off up above the green one. I too love how it's swirling now into a cup shape :wub:.

Love the blasto garden! I can never keep them alive :(

Thank you very much! Too bad about your blasto luck. I wonder what the issue could be? So far so good for me fingerscrossed.

Thank you :flower:

Got it today...plus a bunch of snails. Live-plants' snails are super healthy. I have better luck with them than with reef cleaners. I don't think I had a single loss!!!!! I got a bunch of nerites and ceriths including the dwarf variety. I put some of them into the 8g but most in here. The macro is really nice too. Hopefully it does well for me :).

Nope...no food posts LOL. I haven't baked in a while. Too fattening LOL. The wrasse is probably around 2" :).

Yeah...lovin' the blastos a LOT :lol:.

The purple monticap has really taken off up above the green one. I too love how it's swirling now into a cup shape :wub:.

Thank you very much! Too bad about your blasto luck. I wonder what the issue could be? So far so good for me fingerscrossed.

Agreed, I got my mini nerites & regular ceriths from live-plants too and no loss. The ceriths perked up way faster than the ones from Reef Cleaners too; within 10 minutes with all but one. This isn't meant to be a negative review of John at RC because his stuff is great too & he always gives extras.

I'm running to Hydor FLOs so no dwarf ceriths for me :lol: they always got stuck and clogged it in my last tank.

Hi Gena,

would you share the latest setting of your MaxSpect? How many hours do you do on max? Blue/Write channel max? how many hours do you dim?

Thanks!

Agreed, I got my mini nerites & regular ceriths from live-plants too and no loss. The ceriths perked up way faster than the ones from Reef Cleaners too; within 10 minutes with all but one. This isn't meant to be a negative review of John at RC because his stuff is great too & he always gives extras.

I'm running to Hydor FLOs so no dwarf ceriths for me :lol: they always got stuck and clogged it in my last tank.

I made the mistake of putting some dwarf ceriths in my sump/fuge. They like to wander into all compartments. They end up getting stuck in my GFO/Carbon reactor pump and slowing it down. PITAs :D.

Hi Gena,

would you share the latest setting of your MaxSpect? How many hours do you do on max? Blue/Write channel max? how many hours do you dim?

Thanks!

Sure :). My photoperiod is 8am to 8pm. My max is 80% on A channel, and 90% on B channel. This runs max for 4 hours, between 12pm and 4pm. So between 8am to 12pm it ramps up. And from 4pm to 8pm it ramps down. Then I leave the B channel on 1% through the night. I really didn't get too creative with my settings. I think I used the pre-programmed setting but changed the maximum to the 80% and 90% because I didn't want to fry the corals :lol:.

I love the light...very happy with it.

So......corals. I may have a new obsession. Too bad I don't have room for a bunch :blush: I ordered a rainbow lobophyllia today :wub:. I've loved these for a while now. Finally decided to get one :). Looks just like this. Unfortunately I forgot to copy the photo before I purchased it but this is from the same vendor and it's basically the same coral :).

lobo_zps41c3bd4e.jpeg

they are about 25 minutes from me. all their corals are awesome

Good to know. I'd like to visit their place next time I go up to Cleveland. I think they are about 2 hours away. Wonder if I could get cheaper shipping? hmmmm

Archived