Top Shelf Aquatics

NUVO 16

x3thelast

Damn, tank looks great bro!

Thanks homie. I'm TRYING to bring back the tricolor from the dead. So far so good. It's polyps are slowly coming back out! :D

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jiungerich

I just ordered an mp10 for my 16 gallon. what modes do you put it on and whats the max power you put it on? thanks!

Do you notice that you get a lot of stuff floating around your tank since you dont use any filter floss? I have been thinking of removing the floss but it seems like anytime it's not in there I see a lot more crap floating around my display. I also don't like the waterfall sound I get without the floss in there since my tank is in the living room. What would you suggest? I am trying to eliminate all spots where nutrients will get trapped and cause issues in my tank and I know that floss is one of those.

Do you notice that you get a lot of stuff floating around your tank since you dont use any filter floss? I have been thinking of removing the floss but it seems like anytime it's not in there I see a lot more crap floating around my display. I also don't like the waterfall sound I get without the floss in there since my tank is in the living room. What would you suggest? I am trying to eliminate all spots where nutrients will get trapped and cause issues in my tank and I know that floss is one of those.

So I have the NUVO16 and Have been going back and forth about what media to use... Can we get away with no filter floss? If so should I just use some sort of carbon and phosphate sponge for the media?

So I have the NUVO16 and Have been going back and forth about what media to use... Can we get away with no filter floss? If so should I just use some sort of carbon and phosphate sponge for the media?

A lot of people run without any filter floss, The majority of people I know local to me reccomend to run without it just because it can be a nitrate trap if you aren't vigilant about changing it out.

+1. Your LR is more than sufficient for filtration. Floss in the long run will do more harm than good IMHO. Sometimes simple is better. Also, as far as stuff floating around I don't notice that. i did when I first put my MP10 in though, woah! But now it's only when I feed or the emerald rips a large piece of algae loose and doesn't keep ahold of it.

+1. Your LR is more than sufficient for filtration. Floss in the long run will do more harm than good IMHO. Sometimes simple is better. Also, as far as stuff floating around I don't notice that. i did when I first put my MP10 in though, woah! But now it's only when I feed or the emerald rips a large piece of algae loose and doesn't keep ahold of it.

Im diggin your opinion.. so can I ask, what you suggest I have in my Nuvo 16 right now I have stock media in main chambers, skimmer in one chamber and purigen and chempure in the other? Should I just put a carbon bag in the second spot of my media and more purigen in the third of the main?

Im diggin your opinion.. so can I ask, what you suggest I have in my Nuvo 16 right now I have stock media in main chambers, skimmer in one chamber and purigen and chempure in the other? Should I just put a carbon bag in the second spot of my media and more purigen in the third of the main?

Honestly in my 14 or so years of reef keeping I've never had carbon or any other kind of filter bags in my system. I have a 2-3" sand bed, LR, and a skimmer and that's it. I keep nutrients low. Most things are replenished (except calc and alk which I have to dose) with water changes. I've been using Prodibio this time around and am loving it so far. I feed my fish and corals when I get home from work every day a variety of either cyclopeeze, mysis, brine, or pellets depending on my mood and go from there. I test weekly and have no nitrates or measurable phosphates (though for that I only have API which I realize isn't great, but my SPS are good, so it shouldn't be high).

Sometimes using carbon and phosphate remover can do more harm than good if you're not careful. It can also mask a potential issue. Not saying that they aren't good at times, but I've never used them or needed to. Good husbandry for the most part and a good selection of clean up crew will do all the removal you need for you. The bacterial/carbon dosing I've been doing with Prodibio (similar to Zeovit, btw) has been helping too. I rarely even have to clean my acrylic any longer. At this point, I'm just getting coralline off of it for the most part.

Hope that helps.

Honestly in my 14 or so years of reef keeping I've never had carbon or any other kind of filter bags in my system. I have a 2-3" sand bed, LR, and a skimmer and that's it. I keep nutrients low. Most things are replenished (except calc and alk which I have to dose) with water changes. I've been using Prodibio this time around and am loving it so far. I feed my fish and corals when I get home from work every day a variety of either cyclopeeze, mysis, brine, or pellets depending on my mood and go from there. I test weekly and have no nitrates or measurable phosphates (though for that I only have API which I realize isn't great, but my SPS are good, so it shouldn't be high).

Sometimes using carbon and phosphate remover can do more harm than good if you're not careful. It can also mask a potential issue. Not saying that they aren't good at times, but I've never used them or needed to. Good husbandry for the most part and a good selection of clean up crew will do all the removal you need for you. The bacterial/carbon dosing I've been doing with Prodibio (similar to Zeovit, btw) has been helping too. I rarely even have to clean my acrylic any longer. At this point, I'm just getting coralline off of it for the most part.

Hope that helps.

absolutely does help! Thank you :) Im new to this so everyones opinion is great for me :)

I just ordered an mp10 for my 16 gallon. what modes do you put it on and whats the max power you put it on? thanks!

I just use nutrient transport mode twice a day after feeding. At the 4th to last led light. And then random reef crest mode the rest of the day/night.

I really don't see anything floating in the water it's crystal clean. I have no waterfall sound on my overflow at all but maybe the drop is a much greater distance on your nuvo since its taller. I'll try to make a video for you to show ya how quiet it is :)

I don't like the flimsy basket that came with our tanks. you can get the intank basket if you like or run your media in the mini max reactor which is what I do. it's super easy to change out the media and it's much more efficient being tumbled.

Which zeolite reactor are you using?

just the IM minimax reactor. It's pretty much the same design just w/o the plunger thingy. so I just twist it a few times to clean the zeolites. Works fine.

heres the VIDEO.

SantaMonica
Do you notice that you get a lot of stuff floating around your tank since you dont use any filter floss?

If you have sand, it will grab any drifting particles. My reef pool has no sump, no filters, no glass, nothing..and looking top-down it's crystal clear. Nothing even floating on the water surface (the chromis probably grab them)

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!

just saw a flatworm on my millie no wonder its been looking like doo doo :(

Red_Blenny

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!

just saw a flatworm on my millie no wonder its been looking like doo doo :(

Bayer Insecticide Dip. I had AEFW before and Bayer took care of them but had to manually remove the eggs by inspecting the base or any parts where the flesh was eaten...

Archived