Top Shelf Aquatics

50g Zeovit Tank....

Funkateer_1

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha so is the Cyano.... I think it's from xtra special. That stuff is really strong.

yes it is, I have a bottle myself, I would dose 50% of what you used to dose regular Xtra. Xtra has a lot of AA in it, it will darken corals and raise PO4 over time. I reduce my dose to 0.5ml Xtra Special, once a week..."less is more!"

• 3 weeks later...

2it26vs.jpg

New toy, Vertex Libra 2.5L vessel for dosing KH buffer. If my KH consumption rates stay the same, it should last me about a year before I have to refill. I have a Hanna magnetic stirrer for it as well. That thing makes a serious cyclone at full blast. I will be slowly replacing all of my dosing containers with this over time.

That's Sodium Bicarbonate. Seachem KH buffer. Kalk would probably trash my dosing pumps lol.

I was wondering why it is not dissolving in solution within the vessel and why you are stirring it. It looks to be super saturated.

It's about 180cc of powder in 2.5L of RO/DI. I've never gotten KH buffer to mix well, it always precipitates at the bottom... hence the reason for this project. I've heard mixing it in hot water helps it dissolve better. I've been struggling to keep my KH over 6....

It's about 180cc of powder in 2.5L of RO/DI. I've never gotten KH buffer to mix well, it always precipitates at the bottom... hence the reason for this project. I've heard mixing it in hot water helps it dissolve better. I've been struggling to keep my KH over 6....

I believe Seachem buffer contains a high proportion of borate.

"Reef Buffer™ will also raise carbonate alkalinity; however, it is intended primarily for use as a buffer in a reef system where the maintenance of a pH of 8.3 is often difficult. When pH is not an issue, Reef Builder™ or Reef Carbonate™ should be your first choice for a carbonate alkalinity supplement.

Reef Buffer™ is specifically designed to meet the needs and requirements of the closed reef environment. The principal difference between Reef Buffer™ and Marine Buffer™ is that the pK of Reef Buffer™ is slightly higher than that of Marine Buffer™. The pK of a buffering agent is equivalent to the pH around which that buffer most strongly buffers. One would presume, then, that the pK of a saltwater buffer should be 8.3; however, the multitude of organic acids produced by the inhabitants of a reef system forces pH downward to a much greater degree than in a non-reef, marine system. A buffer with a pK of 8.3 would end up yielding a pH more in the range of 8.0-8.2. Reef Buffer's ™ higher pK (8.6) allows for greater pH stability in a reef system where the bioload is significantly more than in a fish only system."

I would not use this product to increase alkalinity, it is designed to increase pH, and I do not agree with this method for doing so. You will offset the ionic balance and have issues. It should dissolve fully in RO water if not supersaturated, there should be no need to keep it in suspension with a magnetic stirrer. Your product has precipitated in solution

If you are wanting to increase alkalinity, I would do so with only a well balanced additive containing carbonate, bicarbonate, and borate, in the correct proportions. If you are trying to increase pH, keep your alkalinity at 7-8 dKH, reduce the waters exposure to CO2 (open some windows in the house and run the skimmers air intake line outside. I have also found dosing more Sponge Power daily has the ability to increase pH by improving the biological process in the system) Dosing large amounts of borate will only end in disaster.

I redid my solution and using the Seachem equation...

m=(.08)(Volume of tank in liters)(amount to raise Alk in meq/L)

m = (.08)(190)(.53)

m = 8.05g or 1.34tsp

Ill put this in a liter of RO/DI and see what my KH level is in a day or two,

yes it is, I have a bottle myself, I would dose 50% of what you used to dose regular Xtra. Xtra has a lot of AA in it, it will darken corals and raise PO4 over time. I reduce my dose to 0.5ml Xtra Special, once a week..."less is more!"

Very true.

TheKleinReef

I redid my solution and using the Seachem equation...

m=(.08)(Volume of tank in liters)(amount to raise Alk in meq/L)

m = (.08)(190)(.53)

m = 8.05g or 1.34tsp

Ill put this in a liter of RO/DI and see what my KH level is in a day or two,

i could never get any on the powders to dissolve very well. even after having extensive conversations with Seachem reps and people on here. i love the stuff for hand dosing, but when making solutions i found it to be a nightmare, especially the alk solution.

Sold it to a local coral farm in SD. My clowns wouldn't leave it alone. It now resides in a 600g display and is currently the size of a basketball.

I only had it for a year. It was an ORA piece. They explode with lots of phyto feedings. It's much much bigger than that now.

Archived