ReefCleaners.org

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

Yesterday Sam got crunchy pods to eat. I threw in hundred, he ate some, the rest are hiding. Today he's chasing his favorite potato chips: live brine.

Have you tried rod's food at all for the mandys? I think I may order some, the ingredients sound tasty. :P

I placed an order for prazipro, should be here tomorrow.

Have you tried rod's food at all for the mandys? I think I may order some, the ingredients sound tasty. :P

He likes Roggers food, it's green in color has a lot of spirulina. But when I put it in the small tank for him, he ignored it.

Tisbe pods should be here by Wednesday.

I've got fresh live blackworms in the fridge.

I just wish I can see a visible improvement soon, maybe better color, maybe more active of a fish, something. But if he has a parasite, this won't happen till the prazipro is dosed.

• Like 1

Hm, well rods has some different ingredients including fish eggs, oyster eggs, cyclops, freshly hatched baby brine, ect. I think I'll give it a shot. It sounds like something they would like.

Snow_Phoenix

Here's Michael. Almost 2-years-old and still going strong. Has been through 3 tank moves and with me for almost a year already. Previous owner had him for 1 year as well. Eats Repashy Spawn and Grow paste, frozen BS, frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms and Hikari Marine S pellets. Occasionally I give him live stuff as a treat. :)

0ndlANm.png

5LZMsHj.png

rY2XOiX.png

• Like 2

Here's Michael. Almost 2-years-old and still going strong. Has been through 3 tank moves and with me for almost a year already. Previous owner had him for 1 year as well. Eats Repashy Spawn and Grow paste, frozen BS, frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms and Hikari Marine S pellets. Occasionally I give him live stuff as a treat. :)

0ndlANm.png

5LZMsHj.png

rY2XOiX.png

He's gorgeous. Well done.

So my mandarin isn't eating, the only piece I saw him eat was a piece that got shot into his mouth by a power head while I was seeing if any of them were interested by frozen. I do know how to train so I'm not worried. Are there any vitamins/supplements I should add to the food? I'm currently feeding a cocktail of dr gs caviar and Copepods max and hikari bio pure mysis and spirluna brine. Also I want to start feeding nls pellets for I can feed before i leave for work. Is there any nls pellet you prefer to feed your mandarin? And which size should I feed my mandarin? 0.5 or 1mm pellets? He's somewhere in the 1.5-2" range, I will have to measure him.

He's a bit over 1.75"

0A214462-C229-421F-8E4F-EB5950456BB6_zps

• Like 1

So my mandarin isn't eating, the only piece I saw him eat was a piece that got shot into his mouth by a power head while I was seeing if any of them were interested by frozen. I do know how to train so I'm not worried. Are there any vitamins/supplements I should add to the food? I'm currently feeding a cocktail of dr gs caviar and Copepods max and hikari bio pure mysis and spirluna brine. Also I want to start feeding nls pellets for I can feed before i leave for work. Is there any nls pellet you prefer to feed your mandarin? And which size should I feed my mandarin? 0.5 or 1mm pellets? He's somewhere in the 1.5-2" range, I will have to measure him.

He's a bit over 1.75"

0A214462-C229-421F-8E4F-EB5950456BB6_zps

I would soak my food in selcon.

He's a bit over 1.75"

Cute guy. the smallest size pellet. Remember, their natural food is pods which are super small.

• Like 1

Sam in his little cage. This is the first time in a long while I have seen him with his fins flared. He's been sitting like that for some time. I think he sees his reflection in the tank as the room is dark. He looks a lot better even though he is still skin and bones. But he is alert and active. His dorsal spine is no longer a tall spine. :( I watched the flesh come off of it while he was still in the big tank and just the bone was there. Sometimes the fish nip at each other but I'm not sure if in his weakened state, he was a victim more than usual. Will the spine grow back?

20140703_215312.jpg

• Like 2

so after my mandarin jumped into the main tank he looks alot plumper, so i assume hes eating pods and such, seams only slightly interested in frozen now

• Like 1

I have a question for all you expert mandarin owners-

I've had one in my 30 gallon going on 3 days now, and I don't notice him grazing at all on pods. He mostly perches and hides. He's a big dude. I'm assuming he needs time to adjust to his new surroundings, but I can't help but worry. I know my tank is very populated and should be adequate until I finish plumbing a 10 gal fuge within the next couple of days.

The fish store I got him from was housing him with a pretty large (unidentified) eel, and the mandarin was wedging himself into the top corner as far as he could. I'm wondering if that maybe put him into a state of stress?

Mostly curious if this is just normal behavior, and how long before the get comfortable enough to eat and swim about.

He should have been eating at the store before you bought him home. If he wasn't yes it could be stress. Hope he recovers. You could try throwin in live brine shrimp to entice him. Live BLACK worms are better if you can find those.

• Like 2

I was hoping his robust size would mean he was a healthy specimen, I knew it was pointless to have them try and feed the mandarin in a tank with that eel. Aaaand truth be told there was another shopper eye balling him, so all reason went out the door :rolleyes: Plus I don't mind him being dependent on pods for a while, I've got the supply for him, and will work on getting him trained on prepped foods.

I've skimmed this thread, and do plan on picking up some stuff to entice him. I read sushi roe? And will pick up live black worms if I can find'em, if not definitely brine. He actually did inspect some Rod's food I put into the tank, not sure if he ate the pieces or not...

Thank You!