ReefCleaners.org

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

In my experience, dragonets of different species don't even acknowledge one another. There are three scenarios where aggression is inevitable.

The first, most common scenario is when two fish of the same species are kept together, regardless of the size of the aquarium, but one or both are malnourished. This is a recipe for disaster as survival of the fittest dictates that during times of need, there is no room for direct competitors. The next most common scenario is that where two members of the same species are of the same sex. I've found that males AND females are pretty intolerant of one another.

While this family is not known to form pair bonds, both males and females can be territorial towards others of the same sex while tolerating members of the opposite sex...given that everyone is in good condition and food is plenty. The least most common scenario occurs when a male and female are kept together and the male is not big enough to demand the respect of the female. In the wild, younger males are not welcomed in a females territory as they are inadequate mates and therefore must be driven off so a more adequate male can claim the territory. This is especially true with picturatus, I've seen. Female spotted mandarins have zero tolerance for males equal or lesser in size than them, while I've seen no aggression at all in pairs where the male is larger and both are well fed.

This last case leads me to believe that in the wild, mandarin males have a large territory that is made up of the territories of many females. A lot of footage of wild spawning a confirms that multiple females are involved in single spawning events but that a single dominant female is the only one actually spawning. I believe that in large enough tanks, harems can be a reality but in tanks this size, keeping the fish well fed would be so difficult that its likely females still won't tolerate one another.

Awesome awesome awesome! Thanks so much for this information. Really interesting, thanks!

• Like 1
JoeDigiorgio

The hardest thing about keeping them is keeping up with steady small feedings. They don't demand a ton of space and are very peaceful when kept happy. You just gotta baby them a little lol they like to stare at their food in deep thought before each bite so pumps need to be off or on feed mode for you vortech peeps out there.

• Like 1

Want more pictures of this big guy please.

Kat you are why I bought one of these great fish! I had no problem with these fish. I keep the pod population up and feed every other day and pow! Fat belly and a Happy Mandy!

Its geat to hear people having success with keeping these fish in such small tanks!

• Like 1
doppelganger

Awesome thread! Learning a lot and I may attempt one in the near future since my sixline went carpet surfing last night =( I've always loved mandarin's so seeing and hearing about all these success stories gives me some hope. Unfortunately I don't have access to alot of things up here in BC like nutramar ova or ora mandarin's. I'll probably have to train one from scratch which might be more challenging but totally worth it if it works.

JoeDigiorgio
Awesome thread! Learning a lot and I may attempt one in the near future since my sixline went carpet surfing last night =( I've always loved mandarin's so seeing and hearing about all these success stories gives me some hope. Unfortunately I don't have access to alot of things up here in BC like nutramar ova or ora mandarin's. I'll probably have to train one from scratch which might be more challenging but totally worth it if it works.

Like I said earlier, ORA mandarins are great but right now all they're releasing are picturatus, wild individuals of which are also the easiest ones to train onto frozen food. So in my opinion, ORA mandarins are not worth all the hype RIGHT NOW. Once they start putting out splendidus again, that will change my opinion.

Remember though, even ORA mandarins are going to require multiple feedings per day. The only trouble you're saving with a captive bred one is the actual training process, which isn't that bad if its done right.

I have been trying to get a video of my pair mating, its hard cause they do it during low lighting. But anyone who hasnt seen them mate, its really cool watching them spin up the water column.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here is my Fluffly Sculpin does he count as a cold water Mandarin? :P He eats everything that will fit in his tiny mouth and he is no bigger than two of my thumbnails

r2mfm1.jpg

2illzj8.jpg

• Like 11

Here is my Fluffly Sculpin does he count as a cold water Mandarin? :P He eats everything that will fit in his tiny mouth and he is no bigger than two of my thumbnails

r2mfm1.jpg

2illzj8.jpg

beautiful fish
  • Like 2

r2mfm1.jpg

2illzj8.jpg

What does fluffy eat? Coldwater tank?

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

He loved to pose for me, I believe he might have been a runway Model girl in the past, most likely in light green high heels... :P

169gcno.jpg

• Like 4

He loved to pose for me, I believe he might have been a runway Model girl in the past, most likely in light green high heels... :P

169gcno.jpg

Ok...you got me... temperate tank just made it to top of my "next project" :)

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

They have the best personality that I have seen in the reefing world, they learn classical conditioning and it's fun to see them hunt. They strike with lighting speed....

I kept mine in a 2 gallon and then later in our 6 gallon....

A must and very affordable fish once you take the plunge into the cold water world..... :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Ok, now I have to see if I still have the pics of my fluffy sculpins :)

Please show our tropical reefers the true beauty of these cold water fluffies...

PB110026.jpg

Love that face! Miss my sculpin....

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Stu,

If only everyone got the opportunity to see these guys in action it would really make them love the termperate world. I was one that was hesitant and thought how cool could these guys be.

But when your package came and I placed them into the small 2 gallon tank and they started hunting, posing for pics, I was without words! And their eyes are green/red with just the coolest coolers on the body.

Sorry for taking over your thread Kat, I just couldn't help it, I miss my cold water reef and can't wait to get one up again and order a bunch of stuff from Cold Water Marine Aquatics. :)

• Like 1