Coral Vue Hydros

Canon T4i (Practice Phase)

shaner014

SouthFlorida_Tron

When you look through the viewfinder, see those dots? Right now, they probably all light up red, I prefer "especially shooting coral" using the Center point.

Just wait until you get into metering modes lol...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been picking my focus points, but probably not steady enough or placing them where I should. I'm still in the click happy while messing with the dials phase. I only have about a 5% keeper rate.

I have been picking my focus points, but probably not steady enough or placing them where I should. I'm still in the click happy while messing with the dials phase. I only have about a 5% keeper rate.

Protip: use single af, and once you get a lock on focus, recompose your shot. The center AF is the most accurate on Canon's entry level (and my 5D MK II). Even I only use my center AF, and recompose. Even for weddings, the center AF is the only one I deem accurate enough for daily use, at least on Canon's lower end AF systems, meaning 5d II (and lower) and rebel lines - normally the Canon xxD, excluding 60D, has a better AF system)*. If I'm not using one-shot AF, I remap my AF so that only the AF-on button will activate my autofocus (look in camera custom functions, pm me for more info). Whether shooting a wedding, engagement, or senior portraits, I only use center AF point with recomposing. If I recompose, I will give myself 5-10 of the same shots so that I have a higher rate of keepers for a single shot.

Another tip: if you are doing macros on a tripod, use the live-view, and manual focus the lens. On 10x magnification, your manual focus will be more accurate than the AF, especially after recomposing.

*5D II and 5D classic both have/had entry level AF systems, similar to the xxxD/Rebel SLRs. The 60D AF system was a noticeable downgrade from the 50D AF system, at least in my experience.

Edit: Even shooting in RAW, I use live view sometimes to set exposure and color balance. Not sure if you can do it on the xxxD series, but give it a shot anyways. There are two perks to this: 1) You get a WYSIWYG look on your photo, as far as exposure goes, and 2) Post processing RAW files that already have the correct color balance and exposure is much faster.

That is awesome info! Thank you!

As far as using the center and recomposing... How do you get an off center subject correctly focused? Sorry for probably a simple question.

Also, I do have live view and I will look into the custom functions as you mentioned.

Archived