ReefCleaners.org

Canon T4i (Practice Phase)

shaner014

Taking all this in. This thread is exactly what I wanted it to be.

Another question on cards, is 45mbs ok or should I go 90?

My card question kinda got lost in the pics. Just bumping it.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What camera are you gonna get??

I've been borrowing the same 18-55mm that's in your kit and a T1i.

I think I'm going to end up with a T4i, 18-135mm STM, AND a 100 macro. However, I'm really not sure. I really like the .34X mag on the 18-55, but I think I could "live" with using the 100 macro to serve the same purpose, I'd just have to be more careful about shot framing. The trade then, is I get a wider zoom range for a "walk around lens" while on vacation (at an increase of ~150$ in purchase price) and the STM motor (better for video). A full frame camera is still pulling on my sleeve, but there's not an affordable one in my budget.

SouthFlorida_Tron

45 should be plenty

Mine were class 10 with 30 mb/s

According to the random people on this thread

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50977464

The difference will come into play when shooting a burst at 5 FPS. The first 6 RAW frames will all be at 5FPS but the subsequent shots will depend on the speed of the card, acard with UHS-1 capability will be able to maintain a faster frame rate AFTER the buffer is filled. Almost any card can handle the first 6 RAW/30 JPEG (Large, Fine).

Also, good thing you weren't considering waiting on the t5i

http://dealnews.com/features/The-New-Canon-T5-i-Is-Overpriced-by-340/684244.html

So I have the camera, a card, and basic tripod all set to arrive tomorrow.

I subscribed to PoTN, and have been looking at a few "must have" accs. But I wan't to shift my focus to how I can maximize my time behind the camera to start out, what are some good articles that will start me in the right path tomorrow, or what recommendations do any of you have? Mind you I'm coming from a iPhone 5 as my primary camera, and for all intents and purposes am basically a total noob.

Edit, nvm, amazon just has a high price on the 18-135 kit. It's available for less than that elsewhere. Still not as cheap as the above deal was. I probably should have jumped on it. :lol:

You can start reading just about anywhere, but the most important things you need to understand is shutter speed drives motion blur and aperture drives depth of field. These are your creative drivers, how much light you need (and iso) are the result. Most people understand shutter speed buy miss the aperture part.

If you find yourself using your tripod a lot, especially outside, I would suggest investing in a quality one. Nothing worse than having thousands of dollars of camera gear precariously balanced on a $5 Chinese toothpick.http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Black/dp/B000UMX7FI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364496176&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=monfortto+tripod'>http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Black/dp/B000UMX7FI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364496176&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=monfortto+tripod

I wanted just something basic to get it steady in the fish room to start. Like you and others mentioned I will be getting more stuff based on my needs as I progress. Pretty pumped to have a new hobby from a hobby.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I used a nice manfrotto with a vanguard ball head, solid, useful.

I wanted just something basic to get it steady in the fish room to start. Like you and others mentioned I will be getting more stuff based on my needs as I progress. Pretty pumped to have a new hobby from a hobby.
Another expensive one, lol

If you find yourself using your tripod a lot, especially outside, I would suggest investing in a quality one. Nothing worse than having thousands of dollars of camera gear precariously balanced on a $5 Chinese toothpick.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Black/dp/B000UMX7FI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364496176&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=monfortto+tripod

You said http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TVC-33&type=4&eq=&desc=TVC-33-Versa-Series-3-Tripod&key=it'>a good one... :lol:

Holy crap do you use that? I'm going to guess he isn't in the market for a $1000 tripod.

Soon. Almost have the dough lined up for it. Decided to buy quality heads before buying the main support. Cheap ballheads were always a PITA to use. RRS and Gitzo are neck and neck for the best tripods, but I'll support good ol' 'murican products any day.

Just remember that the crop factor isn't 1.3x. If the T4i had an APS-H sensor, I'd have one myself. The T4i is a 1.6x crop factor.

Good catch, not sure where that came from but yes 1.6 is the proper crop factor for the rebel series.

I use crumpler bags and love them. I've been using the same $20 tripod for the past 6 years and it has worked fine. Its annoying to use and bulky, but it works.

So I got the camera today, was only able to mess with it for about an hour. I have a ton to learn. I am instantly hooked though, gonna be a fun one.

As far as bags, I am gonna get the Chrome Niko, or Thule perspektiv daypack. I'm between those two because I can get them under wholesale pricing. Hard to pass up, especially when I am eyeing other goodies.

Thanks everyone again for your help! Once I have some more time to actually shoot this weekend, I know I'll be back with questions. :)

POTN POTN POTN! Enjoy it

I will probably get past lurking there eventually. I am reading a ton. I like to come here though and get the friendly reefers advice too!

So, I think I'm going to spring and pick up the following: T4i w/ 55-135 STM, 50mm F/1.4, and 100mm macro (non-IS) and some filters. I was going to get the refurbished 100mm macro IS, but it went OOS and off sale! :angry:

SouthFlorida_Tron

You'll b wishing you had just been patient, saved an extra $300, and gotten the L IS... :ninja:

I went through the non IS before upgrading

Archived