Top Shelf Aquatics

Canon T4i (Practice Phase)

shaner014

At this point I'm leaning towards a T4i w/ 18-135mm, 100mm Macro (non-IS), a value set of ND & CPL filters for the 18-135, and a 40mm pancake. However I'm a touch over budget. Been bouncing between this 40mm F/2.8 pancake and a 50mm F/1.4. With the crop sensor i'm afraid the 50mm is too much focal length for the crop sensor.

Headed to bed soon, so have to catch up with this thread tomorrow.

I'm on a similar path. I have pretty much tipped to the t4i side, on the new tech must be better logic. It is also consistently regarded as an equal to the 60D which everyone seems to like. Though I am gonna run the 18-55 kit lens till I figure out what it lacks that I need.

Only thing I wonder is how the t5i might effect pricing in another month. Too impatient to wait though.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am gonna run the 18-55 kit lens till I figure out what it lacks that I need

Sharpness, clarity, color, speed and build quality. :)

Ugh, I know. I should have said, it will fill the void until next play money pay day. Also, check pm.

Not only is craftsmanship required, but time is required. Taking raw photos is one thing, spending the time to properly expose them from raw to jpgs is another. I'm far too lazy when it comes to this and I know it. I leave a lot on the table here. Hopefully as I get better, the process will get faster, and I'll be more willing to spend the time needed.

I only have my camera set to RAW at all times. It's some work getting them to look great, but you have so much more control than JPG's. So much worth the time!

This is why I love Lightroom. Presets save tons of time, and Photoshop doesn't have RAW presets (that I know of). I usually pick a preset that will work with the photo, and do a little bit of tweaking here and there for specific colors. At the end, save your preset for use in similar photos.

Lightroom is great for quick editing, or fine tuning that one photo, or better yet a set all from the same location, copy settings into preset, apply to the others, and BLAMO! You're done. Photoshop is for the more serious editor IMO, as it gives you a lot of control,. but also a little more technical/tedious.

I've taken nearly all the photos in my thread with that lens. It's not spectacular, but if you have a good eye, you can work with it no problem :)

I'm on a similar path. I have pretty much tipped to the t4i side, on the new tech must be better logic. It is also consistently regarded as an equal to the 60D which everyone seems to like. Though I am gonna run the 18-55 kit lens till I figure out what it lacks that I need.

Only thing I wonder is how the t5i might effect pricing in another month. Too impatient to wait though.

You should stick with a good deal on a T2i, or T3i. The T4i is very similar and I don't think you would notice any difference on image quality.

I don't think T5i will affect pricing all that much right away. Probably after about 2-3 months out then the others may drop a bit more. OMG, I just seen the EOS 100D, SO FRICKIN' CUTE.

On the crop, I'd go for a 40mm pancake. 50mm is even too much length for me on a full frame. I hardly ever use the 85mm focal length (which is what 50mm would be on a crop) because it is so long and I feel very limited to portraits with it.

Also, I posted most of what you will need to know for simple photo processing in Lightroom http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323773-lightroom-raw-in-depth-primer/'>here.

At this point I'm leaning towards a T4i w/ 18-135mm, 100mm Macro (non-IS), a value set of ND & CPL filters for the 18-135, and a 40mm pancake. However I'm a touch over budget. Been bouncing between this 40mm F/2.8 pancake and a 50mm F/1.4. With the crop sensor i'm afraid the 50mm is too much focal length for the crop sensor.

Headed to bed soon, so have to catch up with this thread tomorrow.

Lightroom is great for quick editing, or fine tuning that one photo, or better yet a set all from the same location, copy settings into preset, apply to the others, and BLAMO! You're done. Photoshop is for the more serious editor IMO, as it gives you a lot of control,. but also a little more technical/tedious.

Nobody is saying anything to the contrary. Photoshop is a professional editing tool, and you basically need professional training to be proficient at it. Lightroom was designed to take all the typical adjustments that photographers would make in Photoshop, make them more straightforward and easy to use and combine them all in a cheaper software package. It isn't quite as good and isn't nearly as capable as Photoshop, but it is a lot easier to use and you can still get excellent results out of it.

This is somewhat relevant, I've been doing a 365 day project where I focus on editing (or it started out that way), so you can see some of the results that I've been able to get using strictly Lightroom. theWAND uses Lightroom as well and has been doing a 365 day project too, so there are lots of examples in this thread of what can be achieved via Lightroom.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317358-365-day-photo-project/

I've been taking raw photographs, mostly because it stops the jpg engine from trying to do any white balance corrections. The t1i does not understand what a 20K light is. :lol:

Nobody is saying anything to the contrary. Photoshop is a professional editing tool, and you basically need professional training to be proficient at it. Lightroom was designed to take all the typical adjustments that photographers would make in Photoshop, make them more straightforward and easy to use and combine them all in a cheaper software package. It isn't quite as good and isn't nearly as capable as Photoshop, but it is a lot easier to use and you can still get excellent results out of it.

This is somewhat relevant, I've been doing a 365 day project where I focus on editing (or it started out that way), so you can see some of the results that I've been able to get using strictly Lightroom. theWAND uses Lightroom as well and has been doing a 365 day project too, so there are lots of examples in this thread of what can be achieved via Lightroom.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317358-365-day-photo-project/

Yup, exactly.

Photoshop doesn't have RAW presets

It does, you can create macros to run preset RAW processing. The problem is each photo tends to be unique and presets will only take you so far as you pointed out.

Honestly rhe media organization is the only unique aspect to Lightroom that I have found in the program.

And yes RAW is king for any sort of obscure lighting, plus you get the added benefit of lense corrections. It is only the natural daylight shots that I will switch into JPEG's and that only if I'm worried about space on my card(s).

Back again with more questions for you folks.

What is the first lens that is a no brainier? Under $400 please (I know, not a huge budget) I have been looking a lot at the ef 50mm 1.4, and the "nifty 50" but haven't read enough to know if that lens style is even right for me. I'll have the 18-55mm kit lens so keep that in mind too I suppose.

My aspirations are tank pictures obviously, indoor portrait type stuff, and outdoor anything. I know the answer is probably 3 or 4 different lenses, but what's the best first one to buy?

Most people (including myself) would recommend the 50mm. I have the 1.8 and it is great. I took all the pics on this page on my thread with it. It serves me well :)

You can get those really great shots with extreme DOF (depth of field) which I personally love.

The 1.4 is ultimate, but I get great results with the 1.8 and glad i have it. :) I've been waiting to find a great deal on me 'vintage' style lenses as well. They aren't always "pin sharp" but you can get some really wicked results with a number of them. You get very intimate shots with a 50mm, as it is fairly close to what the eye would see.

If you are at all interested in older lenses, take a look at this forum. MFlenses there are some great threads there that show you what the lenses can do :) You can save some $ that way ;)

It really depends on what you want to take with it. The first lens I'd look at buying would probably be a macro lens like the canon 100mm macro. 500$ new, or 407$ on the refurb sale right now.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_269452_-1

The EF-S 18-55mm will have the most "zoom" of any non-macro lens (.34X mag vs 1X mag) at close distances. If you are looking for something to get "wild life" and pictures of far away things, then there are a few options like the 75-250mm that are fairly cheap.

For shorter, faster lens, your options are pretty much 50mm 1.4 or 1.8, 40 F2.8, and 35 F/2. They are all faster, sharper versions of 18-55 at a fixed focal length. Take your 18-55mm and set the focal length then go around and see what kind of pictures you can get with that focal length. You may find one is too narrow or too wide.

The faster lens (lower F number) means they have a wider aperture so they let in more light and have a shallower depth of field, thus giving better bokah. Google "bokah" and you'll see what I mean.

Also, you can rent lens both online and in specialty stores. So while it probably doesn't make sense to rent the 100$ 1.8, it might make sense to rent a 400$ macro before you buy it to see how you like it.

Also, here's a neat forum with sample images of pretty much every canon lens. It'll give you a feel for the types of shots you can take with stuff.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107

the no brainer choice for a lens right after you get your kit is the nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8). It is without a doubt the best bang you can get for you buck.

The flickr group for the 50mm

http://www.flickr.com/groups/50mmlens/pool/with/8595701081/#photo_8595701081

Not all of those will be with the f/1.8, but you'd be hard pressed to tell which ones were taken with which ;)

I bet I can if I look at the exif :P

So I'm ordering tomorrow.

T4i body only refurb, and 50 1.8 lens

Or

T3i w/ kit refurb and the 50 1.8 lens

The t4 route is about 90 more. Thoughts?

Long term, it's probably worth the extra 90$ for the t4i. Slightly better autofocus, the HDR scene modes, and the STM motor use w/ video. Although realistically, you'd be more than happy with either.

Also, I don't know the refurb kit price, but this was on slick deals today to make your decision even harder:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5933190-Canon-EOS-Rebel-T4i-18-0-MP-CMOS-Digital-SLR-with-18-55mm-EF-S-IS-II-Lens-580

T4i was the better decision, you are able to autofocus while shooting video. It's not a big issue for reef purposes, but your going to like it when you shoot anything else. Remember because of the 1.3 crop factor that 50mm is going to frame more like an 85mm. Congrats on your new set of gear!

Thanks! Yea I haven't bought any lenses yet. Camera should be here Friday. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Gotta remember to pick up some memory cards. Anything to avoid with cards?

Buy your memory cards online. There's like a 100% mark up in retail stores.

Indeed. Take your time to look around for the best deal. Brands are up to you, but I personally prefer Lexar. This is the one I use. Very good customer feedback for quality and longevity and lifetime warranty.

Archived