Cultivated Reef

Canon T4i (Practice Phase)

shaner014

SouthFlorida_Tron

you have great advice from us, the rest is up to you, and for starters, go read for a few days at that site POTN i posted up there.... a canon photography site. like nano reef but for canon slr! lol

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all im trying to say is that in 5-6 months, you will be wishing you had the non beginner type slr...

I used a 40D for 6 years before finally upgrading this past January :shrug:

I suppose that's my next question, is photoshop the only software I should consider?

In my experience, photoshop is too complicated for a novice to pick up. It's little brother, Lightroom, is a MUCH better tool for a photographer. You'd be shocked at the results you can get from using Lightroom. It's a lot more user friendly and is a good workflow tool. I have both and I barely touch photoshop, but that's because I haven't been trained to use it and I don't see the point in putting the time in to learn. I'm more than satisfied with my results using Lightroom instead.

I use both Photoshop and Lightroom. Lightroom is great for quick edits using theirs/your own or third party filters, but I find I get far more natural results using Photoshop. It's all personal preference, and the sliders are nice, but I find I mess around with the sliders too much sometimes and ruin the photo :P

If you can, try both. I believe Adobe has trials you can download.

IMO Photoshop is better than Lightroom since you are able to do so much more. Lightroom is very limited in composure editing but has everything you need to adjust colors properly, where as photoshop allows you to do everything in Lightroom and edit to your hearts content.

Thanks everyone for chiming in! Greatly appreciated!

Am I ok running either on a 13" Macbook Pro Unibody (Mid 2009) 8GB Ram? I assume so, and am not about to buy a new computer, but may entertain a new monitor to connect to it.

If you are going to purchase Photoshop or lightroom make sure you get a student copy.

If you get a new monitor look for an IPS display to get the best color representation.

If you are going to purchase Photoshop or lightroom make sure you get a student copy.

If you get a new monitor look for an IPS display to get the best color representation.

How do I get a student copy?

Most universities allow students and teachers to buy steeply discounted versions of adobe products. Find a student or teacher and have them buy it for you.

Most universities allow students and teachers to buy steeply discounted versions of adobe products. Find a student or teacher and have them buy it for you.

Are you a student or teacher? :)

Find a student or teacher and have them buy it for you.

I was confused at first. In my head: Where am I going to find a student? I don't talk to any of my classmates and I don't think my professor would let me use their discount....Oh wait I am one... So I am guessing the bookstore would have it?

I was confused at first. In my head: Where am I going to find a student? I don't talk to any of my classmates and I don't think my professor would let me use their discount....Oh wait I am one... So I am guessing the bookstore would have it?

Yep. Student discounts on lots of software. Man I wish I could go back and pick stuff up. There's a lot of software I'd like to pick up at student prices. And not just Windows & MS office.

Student version online looks to be 350. I know that Universities often have lower yet. I need to hit up a frat party.

is the most recent version necessary?

If you can find older versions, they will probably cost the same. For the most part, the new features are things you will almost never use. I'm going to back up Vic in saying that Lightroom would be better suited for your needs. For processing RAW images, nothing comes close to Lightroom. PS and Lightroom are completely different software, with unique uses. Lightroom would be for RAW processing (it uses the same methods as ACR). Processing RAW photos through PS is a much longer process. PS is for photo manipulation. After a wedding, I'll process every photo I want to keep through Lightroom. Afterwards, if I wanted to make a triptych, I will use PS for that. Most things you will use PS for (cloning, white balance, sharpening) can be more easily done in Lightroom. PS also has a steep learning curve. I couldn't use it proficiently until I took a two semesters worth of graphic design courses.

Student version online looks to be 350. I know that Universities often have lower yet. I need to hit up a frat party.

is the most recent version necessary?

I will for sure get the trials of both and go from there. Wand your pretty convincing, especially with that lens list. sheesh.

I will for sure get the trials of both and go from there. Wand your pretty convincing, especially with that lens list. sheesh.

They're only tools. Tools tell nothing of the craftsmen. Practice, practice, and more practice is the only thing that will get you better pictures in the real world. I'll post a thread in this subforum highlighting the major differences between the two programs. The emphasis will be on file management and RAW image conversion, and most importantly, speed of workflow.

They're only tools. Tools tell nothing of the craftsmen. Practice, practice, and more practice is the only thing that will get you better pictures in the real world.

I agree with this. Anyone with the cash can buy the lenses. It takes some pride though to list them on a reef site. You are clearly proud of your work, and with good reason. I looked through your thread.

Not only is craftsmanship required, but time is required. Taking raw photos is one thing, spending the time to properly expose them from raw to jpgs is another. I'm far too lazy when it comes to this and I know it. I leave a lot on the table here. Hopefully as I get better, the process will get faster, and I'll be more willing to spend the time needed.

Not only is craftsmanship required, but time is required. Taking raw photos is one thing, spending the time to properly expose them from raw to jpgs is another. I'm far too lazy when it comes to this and I know it. I leave a lot on the table here. Hopefully as I get better, the process will get faster, and I'll be more willing to spend the time needed.

This is why I love Lightroom. Presets save tons of time, and Photoshop doesn't have RAW presets (that I know of). I usually pick a preset that will work with the photo, and do a little bit of tweaking here and there for specific colors. At the end, save your preset for use in similar photos.

This is why I love Lightroom. Presets save tons of time, and Photoshop doesn't have RAW presets (that I know of). I usually pick a preset that will work with the photo, and do a little bit of tweaking here and there for specific colors. At the end, save your preset for use in similar photos.

I made a post in your thread about your photos in that thread. Quote me if you respond to it there so it'll show up in my notifications, but really, how do you get those really black, black backgrounds? I've been getting into photography and reading everything, but have yet to see anything suggesting how you are doing this, other than post processing. I'm laying out ~1500$ for a "kit" and if lightroom is something I need to include in that, then so be it. But I could use some insight here, as my research isn't leading me anywhere on that front.

I made a post in your thread about your photos in that thread. Quote me if you respond to it there so it'll show up in my notifications, but really, how do you get those really black, black backgrounds? I've been getting into photography and reading everything, but have yet to see anything suggesting how you are doing this, other than post processing. I'm laying out ~1500$ for a "kit" and if lightroom is something I need to include in that, then so be it. But I could use some insight here, as my research isn't leading me anywhere on that front.

Divulge your Kit?

At this point I'm leaning towards a T4i w/ 18-135mm, 100mm Macro (non-IS), a value set of ND & CPL filters for the 18-135, and a 40mm pancake. However I'm a touch over budget. Been bouncing between this 40mm F/2.8 pancake and a 50mm F/1.4. With the crop sensor i'm afraid the 50mm is too much focal length for the crop sensor.

Headed to bed soon, so have to catch up with this thread tomorrow.

Archived