Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Canon T4i (Practice Phase)

shaner014

T4i was the better decision, you are able to autofocus while shooting video. It's not a big issue for reef purposes, but your going to like it when you shoot anything else. Remember because of the 1.3 crop factor that 50mm is going to frame more like an 85mm. Congrats on your new set of gear!

Thanks!

I see lots of success stories with the 50 on a cropped sensor, but the 40 pancake is close enough in price that I would go that route if you think it would be more versatile as a prime. Thoughts?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What have you decided on?

The t4i will be here tomorrow. Veng posted a link that saved me shipping and tax, on a new camera deeply discounted. I really owe him. I was about to buy the body only refurb for 543 plus tax and shipping :o

Got the T4i with 18-55 kit lens for 579.99 and it turns out to be one day shipping since they are in NJ and I'm in Buffalo.

That's a great deal!

Almost missed it too! They sold all 40 by the time I woke up this morning. Almost didn't get out of bed to load up PayPal last night, so glad I did!

SouthFlorida_Tron

The t4i will be here tomorrow. Veng posted a link that saved me shipping and tax, on a new camera deeply discounted. I really owe him. I was about to buy the body only refurb for 543 plus tax and shipping :oGot the T4i with 18-55 kit lens for 579.99 and it turns out to be one day shipping since they are in NJ and I'm in Buffalo.

That's great. You will love it! The 18/55 is very handy. Inexpensive and will do the job for general shooting and FTS!My personal suggestions however:

1) a class 10 memory card, get a great price @ newegg.com you will want this for video, you don't want skips, lags, or bad saves.

2) the CANON battery grip with extra battery, 2 reasons, extend battery obviously, but on those awkward portrait held shots it makes it so much easier to hold, the extra shutter button is great, and adds nice bulk you will want to the camera.

3) this one I speak from direct hands on experience, regarding the CANON 100mm macro. This will be your money lens for the reef. The 60mm is cheaper and sharp but will leave you wanting more reach at times. The 100mm is sharp and takes sexy photos. Now you have two options, the regular 100mm which most shots will require a tripod for long exposure etc, or save the $ for the f2.8 macro L lens with IS, what an amazing lens and tack sharp.... This lens is worth all $850. Amazing glass, weather sealed, and image stabilizer is money on it. One click & you'll see y

Just some recommendations from hands on experience

^^ all good suggestions. The grip you could probably go non-canon and be just as happy, but meh that's up to you. I wouldn't quite call it a must-buy when you're first starting out.

The canon 100 macro is a very good lens.

I'd stick with the 50mm over the pancake lens just because on a crop body the 50mm equates to 85mm, which is an excellent portrait distance.

Obviously a $900 lens isn't in the cards tomorrow, what kind of reef shots can I expect to get with either the kit or a prime lens?

Thanks!

I see lots of success stories with the 50 on a cropped sensor, but the 40 pancake is close enough in price that I would go that route if you think it would be more versatile as a prime. Thoughts?

You'll be happy either way. Personally I like the extra stop you get with the 1.8.

If you could shoot at 1/60th at f/1.8 with the 50mm, you'd be shooting at 1/30th (or possibly 1/15th) at f/2.8 at the same ISO value.

Also get these, they are really fun to play with:

Yongnuo Flash

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560-Speedlight-Flash-Nikon/dp/B0079M711S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364486390&sr=1-2&keywords=flash

Wireless triggers

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Speelights-extra-receiver/dp/B005IQRMN4/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_y

Shoot through

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Single-Bracket-Mounting-Umbrella/dp/B002DE3RYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364486630&sr=8-3&keywords=shoot+through+umbrella+kit

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ya i guess it isn't too much of a must have but it does add nice bulk and on trips the extra battery is nice.Save ur $, stick with that 18-55 until you can snag a 100mm "L"Will be one of the best investments you'll make

Obviously a $900 lens isn't in the cards tomorrow, what kind of reef shots can I expect to get with either the kit or a prime lens?
Kit will be great to shoot corals just not macros. Fts are cake now.

You'll be happy either way. Personally I like the extra stop you get with the 1.8.If you could shoot at 1/60th at f/1.8 with the 50mm, you'd be shooting at 1/30th (or possibly 1/15th) at f/2.8 at the same ISO value.Also get these, they are really fun to play with:Yongnuo Flashhttp://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560-Speedlight-Flash-Nikon/dp/B0079M711S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364486390&sr=1-2&keywords=flash'>http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560-Speedlight-Flash-Nikon/dp/B0079M711S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364486390&sr=1-2&keywords=flashWireless triggershttp://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Speelights-extra-receiver/dp/B005IQRMN4/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_y'>http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Speelights-extra-receiver/dp/B005IQRMN4/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_yShoot throughhttp://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Single-Bracket-Mounting-Umbrella/dp/B002DE3RYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364486630&sr=8-3&keywords=shoot+through+umbrella+kit'>http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Single-Bracket-Mounting-Umbrella/dp/B002DE3RYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364486630&sr=8-3&keywords=shoot+through+umbrella+kit
If you're referring to the canon 50mm 1.8 that thing is garbage compared to the 1.4

Thanks!

Don't get me wrong there's is nothing bad about using the 50mm on a cropped sensor, you just want to account for the difference in perceived focal length (from 50mm to ~80mm) and its framing capability's. Checkout this tool from canon and you'll see what I mean. The 50mm 1.4 is by far my favorite day to day lens because it have the reach to shoot people from a distance that's comfortable (3-6 meters) and with its wide aperture its able to shoot really fast and in low light situations like an indoor party or at night. But the 80mm framing along with a working distance that only comes down to about 0.5m pulled all the way in doesn't work that great for most nano reef shooting. Most times I end up having to resort to my kit lens simply because I can get closer to my subject and get a better detail as a result.

So I cant say if a 40mm would be more versatile than the 50mm as its more up to the style of the photographer. But just remember when looking at lenses that you want to take the focal length and multiply it by the crop factor on your camera to get the focal length you will actually see on the photos. so 50*1.6=~80mm and 40*1.6=~64mm then its all up to how you intend to shoot.

Also +1 to getting memory cards online. I found some really great deals on woot's community deals to be exact, but you gotta be patient.

If you're referring to the canon 50mm 1.8 that thing is garbage compared to the 1.4

and the t4i is garbage compared to the EOS-1D X

SouthFlorida_Tron
and the t4i is garbage compared to the EOS-1D X
Touché sir, touché...

Btw, as sharp as primes are, you'll want zooms, especially for reefs....Primes are good for portraits and family photography, not well suited in most cases for aquariums with exception of macros

T4i was the better decision, you are able to autofocus while shooting video. It's not a big issue for reef purposes, but your going to like it when you shoot anything else. Remember because of the 1.3 crop factor that 50mm is going to frame more like an 85mm. Congrats on your new set of gear!

Just remember that the crop factor isn't 1.3x. If the T4i had an APS-H sensor, I'd have one myself. The T4i is a 1.6x crop factor.

Also, Vic is right regarding that macro lens. Although the 100 2.8 L is nice (trust me, I know), to most photographers, the little bump in IQ isn't enough to justify double the money. The 100mm 2.8 EF lens from canon is still incredibly sharp. For macros, even with the advantage of IS, I end up shutting off the IS on my lens and putting the camera on a tripod.

Also the 50 1.8 can't just be called garbage. It won't be the best regarding image quality, but the point of a fast 50 isn't for stellar sharpness. Trust me, even my $1500 Canon 50 1.2 L gives less than stellar results on the sharpness charts, but that isn't the point. It's a useful focal length, and at f/1.8, you will be able to get shutter speeds that will allow handheld shots, and unbeatable bokeh. The bokeh on that fast 50 is not terrible, and the only advantage I see of the 1.4 over the 1.8 is a little bit more light, and better bokeh when stopped down.

I've been happy with my lenses. They cover just about all the distance I need.

-Canon 50mm 1.8

-Canon 17-55 2.8

-Canon 100-400 4.5L

-Tamron 180mm 3.5 Macro

Taking all this in. This thread is exactly what I wanted it to be.

Another question on cards, is 45mbs ok or should I go 90?

SouthFlorida_Tron

I have a fish eye too. I bought it on a whim and am always forgetting I have it. Its pretty fun though.

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L

8598426890_2e7ea880f3_c.jpg

Realistically, the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens will do everything you need to do with a reef tank, other than macro shots. You'll have no problem taking photos of individual corals or full tank shots with it, period. It the best great close focusing (.34X @ 55mm) of any non-macro lens. There's no reason you need to run out and buy another lens to do coral photography.

Your next lens will most likely be 1 of the following 4.

1) 75-250mm - This would be to give you extra zoom at distance, i.e. wildlife. Because of minimum focusing distances this will NOT give you bigger coral pictures.

2) 50 F/1.8 - aka "nifty fifty" These are cheap (~100$ new) and could be your first "fast" lens. That is, wider aperture. Low light, shallower depth of field, better bokah, however same focal length (zoom) you have in the 18-55.

3) 40 F/2.8 - Again, fairly cheap (~150$ new) and would be similar to the above, except more compact, slower, and wider angle.

4) 100mm Macro - This is a very sharp lens (sharper than anything above, all save the 75-250 are sharper than the 18-55mm, not that the 18-55 is bad), that can focus close enough to give you macro shots (shots where a spider fills the frame, or a single head of an Acan fills the frame). It is however 400$ refurbed and 500$ new.

For now, I'd recommend you wait for the camera and 18-55 to get in and realize how awesome it is by it's self before thinking you have to toss another lens on it.

SouthFlorida_Tron

That canon fisheye is pricey, I tried the rokinon fisheye, manual focus, very inexpensive and fun, just not super practical, but allows you to be very creative!

Realistically, the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens will do everything you need to do with a reef tank, other than macro shots.

What camera are you gonna get??

The 180mm has a rebate going on right now. Its been good to me.

8597354227_a32ae18dff.jpg

8597354403_379e5164fe.jpg

8597354463_93c462439e.jpg

8598457736_ce613109e6.jpg

8597363559_714d297326.jpg

I can't wait until I get to shoot through my ADA. It has been a bitch shooting through the bowed glass on my cadlight.

Archived