SaltCritters.com

'picOrdea' by ZROGST [Ricordea florida Species Tank]

BadCrab

Passaggper

I have to say I love the Red Sea kits, they took the time to make it easier for the user.

I agree! I'll even say they're kind of 'fun' to use.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm kind of anxious to get a pair of Sexy Shrimp, have them spawn and try to cue and settle the larva. I'll either be using a jar method (like pj86) or build a cheap kreisel from a petco tank and jug (like whys alive). I'd like to avoid raising my own BBS if possible - we have a local live food source at every LFS here called Reef Stew that I think will work.

Once my parameters are stable do you think it would be ok to add them to the tank?

We have an LFS here in the valley that has some contacts in the East for planted equipment, they regularly get ADA, Mame, and other products I can't read instructions on.

Looks what I found in the shop today! They had just received a big shipment of ADA/DoAqua tanks.

The Smaller (8mm) one is for the PicO Is and the Larger (10mm) one is for the PicO Custom. I might pick up another one for my temperate tank, but I'd have to see how Mike builds them - if there's a good spot on the rim for one with the lid on.

1eDNASX.jpg?1

Passaggper

I might pick up another one for my temperate tank, but I'd have to see how Mike builds them - if there's a good spot on the rim for one with the lid on.

Wait, wut? Dude, get some therapy already.

We have an LFS here in the valley that has some contacts in the East for planted equipment, they regularly get ADA, Mame, and other products I can't read instructions on.

Looks what I found in the shop today! They had just received a big shipment of ADA/DoAqua tanks.

The Smaller (8mm) one is for the PicO Is and the Larger (10mm) one is for the PicO Custom. I might pick up another one for my temperate tank, but I'd have to see how Mike builds them - if there's a good spot on the rim for one with the lid on.

1eDNASX.jpg?1

Dude, you just wasted a down payment on an Apex.

But they are so pretty :rolleyes: After the temperate tank (which will have a Reef Keeper Lite, being setup in a different room,) I wont be making any big non-livestock purchases for a while... at least until the fall. Winter this year will be the season of Apex!

I've also been looking around for a part time job, and as soon as I score one I'll be able to use all those funds for reefing, so it might happen sooner then that.

Passaggper

I've also been looking around for a part time job, and as soon as I score one I'll be able to use all those funds for reefing, so it might happen sooner then that.

Part time gig at a LFS?

:naughtydance: i hope so JP!

In other news, Norris thinks he's in a hair metal band. I've tried siphoning it off during water changes but all that's accomplished has been some freaky looking bald spots. I'm wondering if it's ok for him if I put him in a bowl of tank water and scrub his shell with a toothbrush?

t5K2i2p.jpg?1

RollaJase

One of my snails went like that when my phosphates were high. I just pulled as much as I could off and eventually a hermit climbed on him and at the rest haha.

andi.rahl

These are not the ones that I bought, but they are from the same shipment / diver. I don't see Rics with these colors often..

I purchased:

a. 1 sky-blue w/ 2 neon green mouths

b. 1 pastel yellow & blue w/ neon green mouth

c. 1 (very small!) rose red and purple w/ neon green mouth

I had one like the 2nd ric and my a-hole ex took it! Mine had 3 mouths, though.

Are yours in Fahrenheit? These are the first J-08 and J-10 i've seen with Fahrenheit labels. One annoying thing to note is that the bend sizes are in metric, making J-06 too small for a ¼" glass/acrylic, so if you have a tank with imperial dimensions you probably need one of these larger sizes.

I tried to give Norris a haircut today. The first method we are going to attempt is scrubbing with a toothbrush (presoaked in ro/di and rinsed in tank water.) I first placed Norris is a white bowl with some tank water.

First added to bowl:

oxCWacw.jpg?1

After a quick scrub:
6L5UZsV.jpg?1

First added back to tank:

fjwWBQ2.jpg

About 8 hours later (couple of minutes ago):
kjfTHYp.jpg

A couple of things I learned:

• Hair algae is attached much stronger then I anticipated
  • Scrubbing sucks
  • Norris has pretty sharp points on his shell

Next time I'll just try some tweezers. I'll wait a week, I don't want to stress him out. If that doesn't work the other option is a second algae grazer so they can clean eachother's shells, but I'm not sure which species.

You should try dipping your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide then scrubbing his shell (probably should try to not get any on him) i bet that would kill it.

I had hair algae from the original liverock, although it has exploded in the last week. The snail, Norris, has been in the tank for about 2 weeks now. I do agree though, if I was to do it again I would not have introduced him without fully removing the algae and QTing him.

I've just been trying to keep ontop of water changes (doing twice the normal volume since the initial bloom - 1g (20%) 4x a week. I scrub the backwall and rocks right before the water change, and rinse the particulate filters an hour after. I'm changing food from reef nutrition to fauna marin pellets to try and cut down on nutrients introduced.

I had hair algae from the original liverock, although it has exploded in the last week. The snail, Norris, has been in the tank for about 2 weeks now. I do agree though, if I was to do it again I would not have introduced him without fully removing the algae and QTing him.

I've just been trying to keep ontop of water changes (doing twice the normal volume since the initial bloom - 1g (20%) 4x a week. I scrub the backwall and rocks right before the water change, and rinse the particulate filters an hour after. I'm changing food from reef nutrition to fauna marin pellets to try and cut down on nutrients introduced.

This is why I'm so glad I used all dry rock.... Although I do miss the excitement of surprise hitchhikers.

Archived