Innovative Marine Aquariums

'picOrdea' by ZROGST [Ricordea florida Species Tank]

BadCrab

Making me want to stock the entire front of my tank with ricordeas.

I wouldn't mind a spot covered in them also but they seem too small for it to be cost effective.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind a spot covered in them also but they seem too small for it to be cost effective.

Aquascapers has amazing rics, and the price is right too. Im thinking about having a small ric garden as well.

Deleted User 4

Aquascapers has amazing rics, and the price is right too. Im thinking about having a small ric garden as well.

On the sand? Or rock? Or distinctive island?

On the sand? Or rock? Or distinctive island?

I'm not sure yet, they will be on a rock for sure but not sure where. Need low light lol.
Deleted User 4

I'm not sure yet, they will be on a rock for sure but not sure where. Need low light lol.

On the sides then. Unless you want to make another small island. :)

Red_Blenny

Heh, R. Floridas are more popular than I thought. I'm getting too picky about them now and I'm trying to find interesting morphs. Always wanted to try Aquascapers but most of the pics are way too blue for me and I wish it was more 12-14k...

Heh, R. Floridas are more popular than I thought. I'm getting too picky about them now and I'm trying to find interesting morphs. Always wanted to try Aquascapers but most of the pics are way too blue for me and I wish it was more 12-14k...

The pics are super super blue but I can say from experience they have some nice rics. If/when I get some they will be my supplier.

I picked up a sexy shrimp tonight! It was the only one left after the LFS moved locations, so I grabbed him up. Did a slow, gentle drip acclimation for about a halfhour. Realized I didnt have a net and just had to pick him up carefully and place him nicely in the PicO. Immediately started spinnin' dat tail so I think he will be fine. Maybe a she, looks a little fat might be buried?

I'll post picks when whites come on in the morning. He's managed to wander upside down in a small overhang on the back of the main rock.

15/25/25 at the moment, yes I like the 20,000k+ temperature look :D A lot of the pictures are taken when my boyfriend gets off work and the AI Controller has started to dim the whites for sunset.

He was a smurf in a previous life. :)

I picked up a sexy shrimp tonight! It was the only one left after the LFS moved locations, so I grabbed him up. Did a slow, gentle drip acclimation for about a halfhour. Realized I didnt have a net and just had to pick him up carefully and place him nicely in the PicO. Immediately started spinnin' dat tail so I think he will be fine. Maybe a she, looks a little fat might be buried?

I'll post picks when whites come on in the morning. He's managed to wander upside down in a small overhang on the back of the main rock.

So what are you sayin, your sexy has a big ass? lol

RideTheLightning

Also check out Coral Pros (nano-reef member keydiver's site) for ricordia. He has a 20 pack for $160 and says only a few will be the same. I'm hoping to get a 10 pack to start my own ric garden if I can get my tank ready before he heads off to school.

Reefs2go has $2.99 green rics so you could grab a pile of those too if you don't mind a bunch of the same color.

Edit: meant to quote the person who said rics are too small to be cost effective.

Lauras nanos

This is not necessarily true, while I wouldn't place them high up with metal halides mine under LEDs actually prefer higher light and moderate flow. Imo these are very adaptable animals and as long as you carefully acclimate them to where you want them in the tank they will do fine.

As for them being too small, well you would have to see mine about mid-day at their happiest, they are at least 2 1/2 to 3 inches across.

Reefs2go has $2.99 green rics so you could grab a pile of those too if you don't mind a bunch of the same color.

Edit: meant to quote the person who said rics are too small to be cost effective.

If I wanted them to be all the same color I would just use zoanthids :lol:

As for them being too small, well you would have to see mine about mid-day at their happiest, they are at least 2 1/2 to 3 inches across.

I have seen them expand before. But I would still need about 20-30 to cover the garden/pillar that I would have for them.

We need an update picture with that sexy shrimp ;)

I didn't have a chance to grab a good DSLR photo with lighting, so I hit him with some flash from my iPhone, just to give you an idea. Little guy is full of character. I've named him/her Gary.

HT5CtFN.jpg

In other very exciting news, the reason I didn't have time today was LFS Road Trip Day! Boyfriend got off work around noon, and we decided to head down to SpectraPure and make Matt proud (we also managed to go to another 5 LFS today just to be lookey-loos. saw a mantis for Brad but it was a spearer :( )

On AZDesertRat's advice (which I respect highly) I picked up a HM Digital TDS-4TM meter, bucket of salt, annnnnd
4KLkEuB.jpg

A refurbished 90GPD SpectraPure system. So pumped to have this finally!
YnJL4Nw.jpg

Nice!!! That's the same unit me and my buddy share. That's also the salt I use :)

How do you mix? 5g bucket? Rubbermaid Brute? Do you know how much salt to measure out or do you dial it in with a refractometer? How long do you let it sit - do you heat yours? These are things I expected to be in the instructions, but I guess not!

I'm planning on sticking one of the Korallia's from the Solana in a 5g, adding salt, testing until right SG, then leave sit for 12 hours with powerhead going. That a plan?

Haha, I use the "homer" 5g bucket from Home Depot. You get better at this the more you do it, for a 3G water change it takes about 3 cups of salt then ill dial it in with my refrac to get it to .025. Best way I've found is to mix the water manually until it's clear then measure, add more salt as needed until you reach desired salinity. After you've got the salinity right toss in a heater and a powerhead and let it mix for a good couple hours (I leave it for about 3). After that check salinity again and your good to go. After a while you will be able to get salinity almost perfect before you even measure it, just takes practice.

Fwiw Red Sea suggests that you don't let it mix for an extended period of time, which is why I let it mix for around 3.

Red_Blenny

For me, I add the water first, then throw in a strong powerhead (I use a Koralia 750) and add the salt mix gradually without dumping it all at once (to me, it takes about 1/2 cup per gal). Once I get my salinity at the level I want, I add the heater. I tend to use the freshly mixed water within 4-12hours but like Tristan said, Red Sea usually suggest that you don't let it mix too long.

FYI, that's a female. You can tell by the broken stripe just below the tail. I ended up with 3 females in my tank. So eventually I'll add at least one (if not 2) males to get some spawning/food for the tank going.

FYI, that's a female. You can tell by the broken stripe just below the tail. I ended up with 3 females in my tank. So eventually I'll add at least one (if not 2) males to get some spawning/food for the tank going.

That's great information actually. I'm hoping to trigger spawning in this tank, so I can settle and cue the larva in a homemade kreisel. So I guess Gary is now Mary.

That's great information actually. I'm hoping to trigger spawning in this tank, so I can settle and cue the larva in a homemade kreisel. So I guess Gary is now Mary.

Yea, I wish I had known that when I got mine, but better late than never. There are some good sexing threads out there, but the broken/non-broken stripe is what's said to be the best way and easiest.

If you look at this post, you'll see one male and one female.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/151219-the-unofficial-sexy-shrimp-thread/?p=1558153

Our Jebao group buy just extended to the new WP25s, so I added one of those onto my order for $48. Exciting! We should be the first large batch sent to consumers in the US.

Congrats on the RO/DI and the salt! :P I'm mixing some right now. Just try not to over think it. I do 1/2 cup per gallon for the salt I use to get perfect 1.025

Archived