inTank Media Baskets

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a box of Yate-Loon fans from an old project...

2011-03-04_18-36-29_293.jpg

That thing was ghetto as shit, but awesome.

While others are using the heater core from a from a Chevette, Ben is using the radiator from a 57 Buick rambler.

jedimasterben

Would you recommend one Bridgelux 950 or a 1350 over a 29 gallon tank?

Probably just a 950, with three Luxeon M royals, two cool blue.

Getting antsy. The LDD are pushed back til the 17th. :/

Silent Mike

Probably just a 950, with three Luxeon M royals, two cool blue.

Any idea on what reflectors I should use?

I have the LDDs already. :D

Silent Mike

LUCKY!!! :P

The Brooke W for the BXRA and the Minnie WWW for the M.

I have one last question. ;) Any idea on how high I should hang it and what angle reflectors?

Thanks for all the help. :)

Likewise. I've been following this thread closely, check every day. I see your avatar expecting an update and am always disappointed. :(

jedimasterben

You can hang it pretty high, 12-18" for good coverage and to avoid burning things. :lol:

The reflectors I recommended are specific angles. The Brooke W is 50 degree and the Minnie WWW is around that, the part that comes after the name denotes the angle.

Likewise. I've been following this thread closely, check every day. I see your avatar expecting an update and am always disappointed. :(

GsE3k.jpg

Minnie WWW is 63 degrees.

Ben, if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to create your coverage diagrams in the OP?

Would you recommend one Bridgelux 950 or a 1350 over a 29 gallon tank?

I'd suggest two 950's each with a single Luxeon M. A single 950 based cluster was way too bright over my 15 long, and had to be raised well over a foot to get even coverage. Two clusters will be fine for a typical 30gallon with ~16" between them for even coverage. There's no way you'll be running the 950's flat out, and I'm making a solid guess a single Luxeon can them keep up with each 950, although two per 950 won't hurt anything.

You can obviously use a single cluster, but you'll need it hoisted quite a ways above a 30 standard...unless you like the partial spotlight look.

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Not particularly. LDD are still not in at LEDGroupBuy, and I don't yet know if my drivers will ship out with this order, they've got a TON of backorders for them.

Not particularly. LDD are still not in at LEDGroupBuy, and I don't yet know if my drivers will ship out with this order, they've got a TON of backorders for them.

Ouch. I've been checking almost every day hoping for an update :P

How many arrays would you recommend for a 36"x18"20H" 57 rimless? I've been doing light research for months and maybe this DIY build is the ticket

jedimaster ben has 4 arrays going on his 90 gal, that's not too much for a 57? Also, how long are those rebel M squares, trying to figure out the best width and length of a heatsink. Any suggestions? I definitely want thriving sps' though.

Blasterman, what's your overall opinion of this setup? Metal Halide crisp look while throwing greater PAR? If built correctly, a top tier LED setup?

Why not switch to the pinned version of the LDD-H board. They are much easier to find right now and in the end it is a much cleaner build when used with the mounting boards. Plus they have pull down resistors built in, which is nice

jedimasterben

How many arrays would you recommend for a 36"x18"20H" 57 rimless? I've been doing light research for months and maybe this DIY build is the ticket

I am calculating that two would be fine for that, as that's what I calculated out for a 40B. Only thing I've yet to play with is coverage as far as even lighting goes, blasterman would be best to chime in on that.

jedimaster ben has 4 arrays going on his 90 gal, that's not too much for a 57? Also, how long are those rebel M squares, trying to figure out the best width and length of a heatsink. Any suggestions? I definitely want thriving sps' though.

The Luxeon M PCBs are 30mm.

Blasterman, what's your overall opinion of this setup? Metal Halide crisp look while throwing greater PAR? If built correctly, a top tier LED setup?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/299831-the-evil-cluster-revisited/

Why not switch to the pinned version of the LDD-H board. They are much easier to find right now and in the end it is a much cleaner build when used with the mounting boards. Plus they have pull down resistors built in, which is nice

Shipping delays, mostly, but I've already had half a dozen of those so far. Places will either have one or the other of the 1000 and 700.

I would like to have used the PCB, but I don't know where to get them, nor where to get the other pieces that go on them. If someone had some of the boards already with the other components on them, I'd get them.

Shipping delays, mostly, but I've already had half a dozen of those so far. Places will either have one or the other of the 1000 and 700.

I would like to have used the PCB, but I don't know where to get them, nor where to get the other pieces that go on them. If someone had some of the boards already with the other components on them, I'd get them.

I just ordered 10 boards with DHL shipping form itead studio a few days ago. Unfortunately the expedited shipping is like $25 but the alternative is to wait 3 weeks for snail mail from china for $5. In the end with shipping it comes out to about $50 for 10 boards or $5 a board. I will only need about 4 for myself if you want any of the others I will sell them to you at cost. I also have the parts list for the components for the board from ebay.

jedimasterben

I just ordered 10 boards with DHL shipping form itead studio a few days ago. Unfortunately the expedited shipping is like $25 but the alternative is to wait 3 weeks for snail mail from china for $5. In the end with shipping it comes out to about $50 for 10 boards or $5 a board. I will only need about 4 for myself if you want any of the others I will sell them to you at cost. I also have the parts list for the components for the board from ebay.

That would be cool. Shoot me a PM with the parts list if you would, sir. thanks!

Cuz....I have no idea how high people are mounting these things, or what type of Bridgelux is being used. Two Luxeon M royals flanking a 1500-2000 lumen Bridgelux is a different animal than using single 950Bs.

For a 3' tank a single row of three Evil Clusters with reflectors would normally work fine, but it would have to be raised a bit for even coverage. No absurdly high, but maybe a foot. Personally I hate partially lit tanks and always fudge on the side of smooth coverage. Four 950B based clusters are guaranteed to work on 36" no matter how they are mounted, so that's my justification :-)

Colorwise this combo is real close to a radium 14k. A tad less 'radiance' than a kessil because the light source is bigger, but more halide like than a LED par or common array. Color is closer to radium than other LED sources.

I've thought about building a dual cluster on a Makers sink or something, then loaning it out for reefers to evaluate on their own tanks as long as they pay shipping. That way people can compare it to existing rigs or commercial LED fixtures and do their own evaluation.

Jedi, why so many hyperviolets on the new build? Is that many necessary? I assume since this Evil cluster has been around a year or so you have been tweaking the colors. Let me know what you think

Archived