Pod Your Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

Hyper violet, turquoise (actually cyan), and cool blue also help with coloration, some with fluorescence, and some with color rendition.

Good luck finding a 90 CRI neutral white in the 4000-5000K range to purchase from somewhere that can guarantee the bin. There's usually only warm white chips available with a CRI that high.

That clarifies a lot, thanks.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everyone is always fascinated with the latest and greatest LED technology and all the colors out there, but I'm really interested to see how well the colors blend. I'm having a hard time imagining how the colors can blend seamlessly without disco with the different high powered emitters far apart, far compared to 3-ups at least or multichips. Could you take some videos with some heavy surface agitation when you complete your setup?

jedimasterben

I know everyone is always fascinated with the latest and greatest LED technology and all the colors out there, but I'm really interested to see how well the colors blend. I'm having a hard time imagining how the colors can blend seamlessly without disco with the different high powered emitters far apart, far compared to 3-ups at least or multichips. Could you take some videos with some heavy surface agitation when you complete your setup?

The beauty of this sort of array is that you hang them relatively high in comparison to premade fixtures and the light has a chance to blend better. That being said, any and all LED arrays that are not multichip will have some color banding.

jedimasterben

Ordered the last pieces of the puzzle just now from LEDGroupBuy! They won't ship until the 11th (or after) once the LDD are in. But, I'm still :happydance:

jedimasterben

Meh. I have credit at LGB, so I'm good.

EDIT: checked Mouser... they have a 4-15 week lead time.

Oh, looks like I got the last few before they ran out.

Wait a sec, they list three things for availability: Lead time, on order, and stock. If you search "ldd driver" and click on the cheapest 1000h, there are still 50 in stock.

jedimasterben
Oh, looks like I got the last few before they ran out.

Wait a sec, they list three things for availability: Lead time, on order, and stock. If you search "ldd driver" and click on the cheapest 1000h, there are still 50 in stock.

Those are a different model.

Finding information on that bin is easy, finding it for sale, not so much.

I'm having a hard time imagining how the colors can blend seamlessly without disco with the different high powered emitters far apart

Good question.

I....utterly effing hate disco shimmer, and I've been called a few names for pointing it out in other threads. The 'Evil Cluster' is not 100% disco free. Because you're using offset LEDs of different colors there will always be some. However, compared to other commercial fixtures popular here, especialy those that have red in the mix, the 'Evil Cluster' has substantially less.

There are two reasons for this. The first is because the big neutral is using a reflector -vs- an acrylic optic, and large reflectors do a better job blending light. Acrylics tend to collimate light like a lens, and this creates blending problems. Reflectors mix light.

The second reason for low Disco shimmer is that royal blues in an 'Evil cluster' are on either side of the main white source. As ripples in the water act like a lens and project color differences that catch our eye (disco shimmer) the opposing royals help fill in the adjacent shadows. They essentially cancel each other out. This is why I push clustering over even spread layouts. When I build Evil Clusters I mix in one or two 470nm blue in the ring of royals, and it's totally seamless. If you stared closely at it a standard triple up has a bit less shimmer. A Kessil a lot less, because it basically has none. Compared to a Razor,Radion, Vega, PAR38, or ay other fixture using discrete 3watt reds the Evil cluster has far less disco shimmer.

Finding information on that bin is easy, finding it for sale, not so much.

+100.

I've mentioned the Citizen chip a few times over the years. Problem is finding it, and more so optics for it. Nichia also has some high CRI options, but it' not even practical to use them.

Rebel ES is available in decent CRI lots in the 4000k range.

Those are a different model. Finding information on that bin is easy, finding it for sale, not so much.

May be malid or steve can get them for us

Following with great interest. Considering an evil type rig to replace existing 2x 400watt halide system over a 3 foot deep sps reef. Electricity prices in Australia are insane.

@Jedimasterben

I might have missed this in previous posts but which optics from your shopping list are going with the new luxeon royals. Also curious as to the choice of hyper violets vs true (or say the violets from Steves)?

Hyper/True violet is all marketing speak. There's 5-10nm difference between the different violet LEDs on the market, and they all perform.

jedimasterben
May be malid or steve can get them for us

More than likely they wouldn't, as they are very Rebel and Cree. ;)

Following with great interest. Considering an evil type rig to replace existing 2x 400watt halide system over a 3 foot deep sps reef. Electricity prices in Australia are insane.

@Jedimasterben

I might have missed this in previous posts but which optics from your shopping list are going with the new luxeon royals. Also curious as to the choice of hyper violets vs true (or say the violets from Steves)?

Everything seems to be expensive there, it's a shame!

The Luxeon M are getting the Ledil Minnie reflectors.

Look below about the violets.

Hyper/True violet is all marketing speak. There's 5-10nm difference between the different violet LEDs on the market, and they all perform.

I agree, almost all violet LEDs are the same make essentially, with the same output and the same spectral readout.

Standard true violet:

TV__20715.1356311934.1280.1280.JPG

The hyper violet are different. Milad has these custom made.

Hyper violet:

430nm__69156.1353274569.1280.1280.JPG

Guess who has Luxeon M boards. :happydance:

jedimasterben

Wow, no need for 3ups there. They are the same size and ~30% more powerful.

Considering 3ups are on the same 20mm stars, yeah, they're bigger lol. And actually, just the royal blue M at 1000ma is about twice as powerful as a NW-RB-RB Rebel ES 3up.

Being on that copper MCPCB, I wonder how much harder than 1000ma I can push them. They seriously weigh a ridiculous amount and will have zero issues dissipating heat. I've seen people run Cree XM-L at six amps (spec is maximum three). :o

What is your plan for cooling this monster? Do you plan to add fans to the setup? I'm considering a (somewhat) similar design using a single 1350 to cover a 24"x24"x18" run at 1000mA (3000+lm). Not yet sure how I want to cool such a setup.

Was considering LDD-1000H. What will you be using as I already have LDD-700H for other LEDs. Your build is going to be nice, will be following along. Thanks.

Archived