Innovative Marine Aquariums

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i would say wait on adding a fourth if you are going to be propogating shrooms...

Cut them off at the base, set them is some kind of reef safe container in the bottom of thank with some substrate in it wait 2-3 days... they will be stuck to some substrate, this will hold them down... set them on the peice of base rock of your choice...2-4 more will grow back in their place..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

oh sorry 2 more questions...

i would seriously recomend an acrylic knife... they are only like $3... try it with a utility knife and you may either be buying new plastic or cutting for hours... w/ the acrylic knife, 3-4 passes over the plastic along a metal straight edge and snap.. wa la a nearly perfect break... acctually when i did mine it looked like it had been cut and pollished instead of snapped...

Corals absolutely attribute to bioload...

Question: How long should I be leaving my lights on? I currently have 130w Coralife power compact. Right now I have it on for about nine hours a day. Is that too little? I am going to eventually add a second timer, so the blue light will be the first to come on and the last to shut off.

Whit

You are cracking me up -- spf 15 hehehehehe. Guess it depends on how well the fish tans :)

Ok-- BHP gonna blow your mind as usual-- sry I dont have picture drawing capabilites-- LFS is gonna help me customize my flow, but I wanted to attempt to explain and see what Yall thought

Gonna take out rain tree trays - install 900-1000 gph pump, gonna use flex type plumming line. From pump to SCWD located in sump area--this will then have a return to original drilled hole for stock pump (hole will be drilled slightly larger). New hole drilled(in back wall) on left side as close to the skimmer and overflow that we can get hole. On inside of tank will have Locline Y so the flow can be split 4 ways.

To prevent main pump from running dry and to get more water to it( this will actually increase overall sump volume)-- gonna drill hole(1/2 inch) in partition thats in the sump just above the skimmer pump so it would not run dry. My only concern at this point is wILL the pump be to large-- but that will be easy to down size if needed.

What do you think -- or should I delete this terrible explaination--hehehe-- sry. But thanks for trying to understand :)

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

is the pupm going to be inside the tank or plumbed externally? everything else sound great!!! just not so sure about your pump instillation you reall don't want to put the intake for the pump in with the skimmer... or to drill any kind of hole in the skimmer compartment for that matter... also that overflow can only flow about 5-600 gph reasonably... i think the sytem whit and i are running could be greatly improved by in corporating a SCWD!!! a VA 1800 would still fit in the sump too... use vinyl tubing instead of hard piping it...

Just my 2 cents... you could just make the overflow larger and plumb in a 10-20 gallon sump underneath the tank... also adding a fuge... check out the 20L/20L sump in wall that is linked in my signature... i built that for justin's tank...

Tks Barb

Yes the pump will be internally in sump area back right (not skimmer compartment). I cant remember exactly why LFS thought we needed to drill hole in sump partition, I will ask to find out. I think he was concerned about the way the water would rush over the partition in sump due to so much water being pushed into tank and then coming through overflow-- this would help with how much going over partition and provide additional water for pump so it would not run dry.

Edit: Gonna drop down to 600 gph pump -- that way no hole will need to be drilled in partition. Dont think LFS realized that the protein skimmer is a venturi-- so if water was lower in sump compartment with skimmer that would cause problems with skimmer.

Barb--When your water rushes over the partition from skimmer compartment what do you have in the bottom of the pump compartment to break the noise of the fall of water?? Would some foam or charcoil be ok??

Izzue

I cut a drip tray in half and have the pieces setting vertically in front of the pump to stop the bubbles and to muffle the noise. I guess you could fill up that side with extra water so the doesn't have so far to fall. With the acrylic I'm getting, I may make a tiered baffle structure thingymcbob (thats the official name of it). That way the water will flow down to the pump via small water falls. See my hi-tech illustration below (sorry if the schematics are too confusing. I used a super hi-tech word processor to engineer the design).

Exhibit 1

| |

| | |

| | | |

| | | | [pump]

When I started using the Aqua Via 1800, what got really noisy and bubbly was water from the front of the tank falling back through the original water outflow from the pump compartment. I took a piece of cpvc and some fittings and plugged that hole up.

I need some info. I am thinking of getting a torch coral. I know clowns are impervious to stingers and what not. What about other fish? Is my Blenny going to be fine with an anemone like coral in the tank?

Today my lunar lights are coming. I got two lunar links. Do you guys have these? I'm wondering how to affix them.

Not sure about the blenny--but i would imagine he knows better or would find out soon enough.

My stock finnex didnt have a moonlight, I bought a simple 3/4 watt blue 420 nm and attacked it in the center with velcro-- hoping it would not come loose and fall in and fry everything. Luckily that never happened and my new current light fixture had a built in white moonlight that I like much better than the blue. The corals dont flouress (spelling) under the white but it looks more natural to me :)

looks like its time to get some new hermit shells. i found one of my scarlet hermits crawling with out his shell and missing all his left legs. Then I found that a blue hermit was sporting the scarlet's shell.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

the war begins...

heres a tip that might help... i used a peice of 1/16th inch plexi cut to size (taller than that little peice that supports the rain trays and causes lots of noise/ bubbles and wide enoough for a tight fit) there's no need for it to be watter tight though...

Tks BHP

I did a water change yesterday and decided to test taking out the foam filters and just using the rain trays. Way to noisey to be in the living room. I returned the black foam to the 1st tray-- no more noise. Hopefully all my parts will be in next week to get my flow plummed :)

Thanks again for the tip :P

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

cool... you're going to have a time modifying those raintrays to accomidate the bigger pump, plumbing, etc... i'm thinking of building something to hold media that is easier to manage... i hate having to pull the raintrays in and out because that means you have to pull out all the plumbing...

Ya

I was just checking to see what kind of noise the rain tree it self would make. Rain tree will be gone with install of bigger pump. Gonna use a baffle or nice little box like yu designed :)

I like your box- that would be great to have charcoal or phosband or even sponge.

Izzue

Archived