Cultivated Reef

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

hehehe

Well the fish guard hasnt fallen apart just yet B)

BHp-- If you removed the overflow grides it probable would flow better-- Dont know about the way the water would react with a whole stream shotting into sump. Only take out a few at 1st???

Wonder if another slot cut in back wall next to overflow would do??? That may not go to well if it doesnt stream and bounce into protein skimmer??

I still have my pump slightly choked with Rio valve that was supplied with pump-- Water level 2 16ths from top---except when SCWD changes stream side to side the water level gets to top on tank on opposite side by a couple inchs wide.

The SCWD seems to be awesome so far :P

Kid

Pic of pluming that will be changed the 1st time I have to clean SCWD

post-14574-1129762096_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hooked up my SCWD on Sunday. I actually kept the locline and the threaded CPVC elbows they are connected to. I connected the 3/4 ID tubing to a piece of cpvc and a straight line fitting. this fitting fits snugly in side the tubing. Then I took the exposed piece of cpvc and connected it to the elbows like normal. Seems to be working well. I still have a small rio (50gph) in the back corner pushing water behind the live rock.

I need to get a screen for the overflow. I want to get some neon gobies, but they will be dead meat if I leave the grid the way it is.

Pics coming soon...hopefully tonight. Later guys.

Kid

Pic of plumbing that will be changed the 1st time I have to clean SCWD

Thanks, It looks real clean. When the SWCD kicks in does the water come out the light stand slots at all?

The 32 gallon has a built in bubble trap that extends to the top of the tank. It would be too much work to drill through both bubble trap walls cleanly. Guess my plumming will hang over the top.

Wife gave me the ok for the Ocean Motion squirt and revolutions, so i'll probably be going that way instead of the SWCD. Still researching it.

Is the sump area about the same size width wise for the 32 and 18/20 gallons? If it is, then when I finish the refuge I'll post the plans in this post as well, you guys might be able to get away with using the same plans with some modifications.

Whit

sounds good man-- I havent worried about water flow behind LR yet-- when I do water change I add new water with pump and go back and forth on back wall to stir all the crap that has settle in the back up :)

Look up a couple of post-- i made a simple flow through box out of cheap acrylic to guard fish from overflow. I used the Silicone they had at HD to hold together and got luckey that my lockline holds it in place. I lost my citron goby due to overflow :(

Bhp

I agree -- 1st time a have to clean SCWD im gonna totally replum

Reverse pump so intake is on other side-- add elbow to pull from very bottom.

Gonna leave SCWD where it is but plum a U going over to pump return-- by adding 4 elbows for return, this should decrease the efficiency of pump enough to hopefully open valve all the way so pump will not be strained by valve

Izzue

Kidphc

No water on the floor yet :D -- the water does not come out of light slots....

The closest its been to water on the floor was this morning. I had 2 stomella snails eating around the overflow--one was on back side of 1st overflow slot -- the other was in a middle slot of overflow. Just those 2 snails slightly impeding the water flow was causing the water to touch a large portion of the top acrylic lid--no water getting out anywhere though. I used a pipette and moved the little suckers and flow went back to normal.

cOOL on the ocean motion-- I dont know anything about it either-- research it..

The 18 gal sump area is a little less than 4 inchs wide-- would love to see what you come up with. At this point I havent been concerned with refuge-- dont want to run another light -- not to mention Im running out of room.

I could see where the 32 gal refuge would be a good idea-- but on the 18 gal-- I use b-ionic to control alkalinity that keeps ph stable and make weekly water changes to help everthing else

Izzue

nevermind. i got the brain thing figured out.

time to post some pics!

I don't know why, but this message board won't let me create different messages to post separate pics. So here is a summary:

The pics show my new plumbing with the scwd and my shipment from seacrop.com. I ordered 11 cpr frags (mostly @ $9) and 3 others from the $2 menu.

I got a green favites brain, merulina (cabbage coral), (2) seriatopora, (2) montipora dig., green candy cane, blue candy cane, star polyps, green tipped torch coral, green salomon is. tongue coral, capnella, (2) assorted zoo polyps. Everything came out to be $150-$160 incl. shipping. I am pretty happy with what I got. Everything is alive and well. Everything is basically rehabbed to 100% before she sells them to anyone. Seacrop.com is a great place to get a bunch of stuff at once. [promised Mary that I'd give her props for good product and good service]

I also got a rock with 10 or so mushrooms for $54 from the lfs.

post-15373-1129854197_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129854299_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129854326_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129854346_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129854545_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855515_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855549_thumb.jpg

There's a pic of my blenny in there. his name is cpt. a-hole. he nips my arm when im in the tank messing around. He likes to sleep in the purple mushroom bed.

post-15373-1129855639_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855655_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855673_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855696_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855717_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855756_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855775_thumb.jpg

post-15373-1129855896_thumb.jpg

Wow

Looks awesome man :D

sorry on the favia--dont have one so I sure didnt know what was best-- you got it happening!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been eyeing a large online order also -- but with our utility issues hear thought I better wait. Little more important to pay the electricity bill than stock right now --booooooo

Now with some growth time you gonna be stuck in front viewing that nice setup B)

Izzue

BHP

This is sad and makes me mad-- I just realized Nano-reef new update killed all your pics from day one-- damn this bites.......

I want to see some new pics BHP with your MH blasting away :D

Question: At one time I remember you had a yellow gorgonian-- did it do well??

Aquacon has a combo of red and yellow for a good price right now..

Ive read some places say its advanced and some say easy

whats your opinion??

tks

Izzue

i just made another impulse purchase. i bought two neon gobies the other day (super tiny fish). That makes a total of five fish (other three are 2 false percs, and 1 blenny). Is this too many fish? I figured I was pushing it with 3, but Im thinking these neon gobies don't add much to the bio-load.

Thanks.

With the flow you have Whit-- doesnt sound like to many to me--just dont overfeed.

I have 2 TR percs -- blue chroma -- and firefish -- that makes 4 larger fish....

Izzue

gotta say, im loving the SCWD. i used to have a slime algae issue with my substrate, but now its as clean as can be.

i went to the lfs and bought a sheet of plastic screening. i cut a piece to fit over my overflow so the neon gobies don't get sucked through.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Sorry it has been a while since i've posted... I've spent 40 of the last 60hrs in the architecture building... Just found out that one of my professor's is a fish nut too(yeah i'm 1st in the class)... YEAH THIS ####### SUX GUYS!!! ALL THE PICS ARE GONE!!!! ######S.... I've still got them all, but it would take a week to repost them all... i may try over x-mas break...

No on the gorgs... wait until you're tank has been up for a year... then maybe give it a shot... they are cheap anyway, but they usually die in a small tank... they grow VERY VERY VERY slow aswell...

Sad sad news... if you guys saw my tank you would ###### your pants... brown algea everywhere... i left it in the care of my parents, and they over fed the fish... it's on the rebound, but it's slow since i can't be there to work on it... i refuse to post pics until it's back to normal...

Dang School-- j/j-- been their - done that...

Ya I know better and sometimes I have the tendacy to overfeed :)

You will straighten out ..

Izzue

cool... If ya had enough support , with that setup you might not have to keep your day job :D

The more I check out the new finnex 20-- the less I like it...

Looks like they tried to make it look like a cube almost-- main thing I dont like is it is only 21 inchs wide. This to me makes it kinda hard to find lighting upgrade, of course I really havent looked, but that seems like an off size...

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Yeah i almost started a frag system like that in my basement... the legs on a corallife fixture would fit on a 21" tank, i believe... i like the bowfront better anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

What's up guys. The thread has been dead for a while.

Anybody make any mods or get any cool livestock lately?

I just ordered 5polyps of acan lord, zoos, and star polyps from www.roesmarineworld.com. i won 70bucks for being the 700th person to sign up for the Cherry Picking message board. They also had free shipping for orders over 100 bucks this past weekend.

Wuzzup!!!!

Sounds really cool Whit...

Ive lately gotten a yellow toad stool leather-- Awesome tricolor Sps colony- green tree leather frag--couple of other frags of leathers..

My firefish jumped to his death ( got lazy about putting acrylic lid I designed on the top)-- didnt appear I needed it, I was wrong-- RIP little buddy.

It was really weird on the timing, I came home with a Six Line Wrasse and as he was aclimateing I noticed one of our dogs playing with something-- it was the dried out Firefish :tears:

My tank is really doing well -- and Im very pleased with my little Finnex Tank--only thing Ive gotten to dislike is Acrylic (scratchs way to easy) but on the up side it is safer than glass as far as water on the floor gos

Ill get some updated pics this weekend after maintaince

How bout some new pics Whit-- that would be COOL

BHP-- hope school is going well-- the parents treating your tank better????

Izzue

Archived