SaltCritters.com

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking of running the CPVC along the back of the display area and having them run down the sides 3-4". At the ends there would be the Y pieces with a total of four outlets. I was thinking of securing the CPCV along the back using two suction cups similar to those used on my heater. I bought 10 elbows, 10ft of cpvc, pvc cement; I'll figure something out.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

u don't need the cement if you cut the pipe with a pipe cutter... if you have to use a hack saw, use the cement, but remember to flush the entire thing with water for a while... if you want, use two or three coats of the flat black plasti-kote spray paint (or maybe it's called plastic-fusion) you can fint it at walmart... be sure to let it cure for a couple weeks like the can says... I did it on the undergravel spraybar i made, it seems safe and looks good, but it scrtched easy w/ just one coat...

BHP

Need some advice and opinion please.

PH has got to go :)

My plan is to use the existing filtration since I dont have a refugium (only using poly and foam--removed ceramic).

Gonna stay with the stock pump at 310 gph.

Gonna remove chiller pump and return from sump area-- if needed later I think it would fit under the protein skimmer.

What pump would you recommend to add in sump area -- it will be plummed up with a valve -- facing the tank to the left where return is and one hole drilled to install bulk head on top. I will then split that return into a Y and Im gonna also figure a way to split the stock return pump to a Y . Right now I have the stock 310 gph and seio 620 gph = 930 gph and is a little harsh.

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated oh master Finnex :)

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

It's great that you're getting rid of the PH... i have no idea what you're trying to explain to me... give us a picture/ drawing and we'll discuss it more... the problem w/ adding flow to the tank is the small overflow out of the display area... right now wit and i will be running < 500gph... probably 450 in my tank you can't fit a bigger pump in the sump... and the via-aqua 1800 is the most cost-effective, efficient and sturdy pump i've ever used... It really doesn't get enough credit... half the cost, less wattage, and same or better gph than a mag or quietone...

BHP

Thanks sir you answered my question :)

Im gonna use the stock pump thats in the filtration area -- leave the filtrations trays but install a Y connector to that pump inside the tank.

Add the pump you recommend to sump area with a valve to control if needed, drill hole on top of left side for bulkhead and add a Y on that return. I understand what you mean about the small overflow -- so if Im pulling to much water out of the sump before it gets to filtration area I can use the valve to slow it down some. I might even go with a smaller pump than the 1800 cause that would be a total of 310 + 480 gph going into the tank.

Izzue

Just got my Via Aqua 1800 today. That thing looks the size of a toaster compared to the stock pump. I can't wait to get rolling on this plumbing project.

Also, I just picked up 3 astreas and 3 dwarf hermits. They instantly went to lawnmower duty.

Is it possible for your Nitrates to go down without any water changes? My nitrates went from 10 to 5 over the past week. I have some green bubble algae and some long fern/grass looking plants. Could this be macro algae? I got green hairy spots of algae all over the sides of the tank too.

I'm doing some prelim planning for this water flow system. I would like to get an even flow of water out of both the left and right outlets. To do this would I have to have the water run an equivalent length of piping? Or would the flow be uneven? I was thinking of running the cpvc out the hole on the back wall of the display and running pipe to the left and right sides of the tank. The left side will have an extra foot or so of piping. I'm not sure how the physics would work, but I'm thinking the flow would be greater our the right side versus the left. If that's the case, I will run the pipe over the top into the middle of the display.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I'm not sure that a peice of cpvc will fit through that hole... water flows a little like electricity... the path of least resistance will be taken for the most part... i recomend a T joint right in the middle of the two nozzles...

That means that your cycle is finishing up...

Izz- The 1800 is really better in just that it doesn't put off as much heat... plus it's not that much more powerful... in fact i'm going to go ahead and tell you that anything less wouldn't be enough... the 1800 in my tank has no chance of catching up with my overflow at full flow... the current won't be so omni directional or violent with the 1800 T'd off to 2 nozzles...

BHP, can you describe what an FPT connector is? Does it have the male threaded portion that screws into the VA1800 (and the other end has a slip fitting for the CPVC)? I think I bought the wrong piece or a piece is missing from the VA1800 (I got a piece that has a female threaded portion and a slip fitting on the other end).

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeah that's right so far... you're just missing a double ended threaded male fitting... FPT of the Pump > Male to male fitting > FPT/Slip Fitting > Cpvc Pump...

ok. after fiddling with the pvc and holding it up to the tank, i realized its going to look like crap. ive decided to do the drilling.

BHP, what is the recommended drill bit type for this job? size?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i used a smaller metal bit to drill a pilot hole.. then i think it was a 13/16 wood bit for the final hole... be careful... read a little on drilling acrylic before you go for it...

So, these polyps i purchased came in multiple pieces. mostly polyps with very little rock base. i was thinking of supergluing these to a small piece of live rock. Can i just use regular superglue to do this?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeh you just pull out the larger peice of rock you wan to glue them to dab it dry with a towel where you're gonna glue em', put some glue one both the main rock and the frag while out of the water... hold it in place for 15-25 seconds... out of water and sick it back in the water... it might not take the first time, just try it again and hold the rocks out of the water for a little longer...

I just moved into my dorm at UT, so i'm not near my tank... however i'm going to have a web cam on it here before too long... I'll post the link here and on my signature when i get it up!!! should be cool... i think i'm gonna set it up to take a still shot every 5-10 min...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeh you just pull out the larger peice of rock you wan to glue them to dab it dry with a towel where you're gonna glue em', put some glue one both the main rock and the frag while out of the water... hold it in place for 15-25 seconds... out of water and sick it back in the water... it might not take the first time, just try it again and hold the rocks out of the water for a little longer...

I just moved into my dorm at UT, so i'm not near my tank... however i'm going to have a web cam on it here before too long... I'll post the link here and on my signature when i get it up!!! should be cool... i think i'm gonna set it up to take a still shot every 5-10 min...

Whit

Just my .02 -- I prefer superglue gel. BHP is right about it takes more than once sometimes, not to mention if your doing any choirs on inside of tank and knock the coral loose you get to glue it again :)

I did this yesterday: Note to self -- When drimmel tooling a large clump of superglue gel that has built up due to repeated knocking coral off--- DO NOT inhale cut glue fumes ??

HE HE HE== I smelled superglue all day yesterday, but it didnt glue my nose close thank goodness.

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

If the frags are zoos or xenia; something soft... super glue will work, but try using some hypodermic needles pushed into the rock....

Nice pics, BHP. I'll get a pic of my new clown and polyps when im done being lazy.

I think I had a bad anenome pop up over night. It was a brown color with a bunch of tentacles. Definitely not algae. Most of it's gone now. I torched it with some boiling water through the turkey baster. I'll keep an eye on it and blast it tomorrow if it's still there.

I'm thinking of getting an anemone for my clown fish. Will it survive under the stock lighting for a few months until I can upgrade? Maybe if I keep it toward the top of the tank that will help.

Damn snail knocked my polyps off. He's been executed as a result. Joking of course.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

This is the other half of bhp I have a 20L and I had an anemone that ended up splitting into to under stock lighting. but i wouldnt recomend it because I had a bad experiance and I believe it was due to the lighting if I were you I would wait.

Archived