Pod Your Reef

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Oh... wwell with the amount of water flow i have in the tank and the rushing waterfall in the back i think there is plenty of surface contact... there are 2 big gaps on each side though... that diffuser will probably do more harm than good because it blocks a lot of light and there isn't much space below the egg crate for the light to disperse... i had the stuff on my tak at one point too... just change 1/2 the water every 2-3 days with good RO... it should be gone real quick... don't dose any chemicals till it's gone either...

IC JMT thanks....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

New pump cam a couple days ago... It's almost too big for the sump, the suction cups are simply wedged against the sides... works great though a good amount more flow than the 1300... below is a pic comparing the two... the new pump is also more efficient, using 28 watts instead of 31.5 watts... no big whoop, but it just goes to show that the company is still improving their products... i also revised the plumbing... insteadt of a vertical tube coming up from the pump i'v used a 45 degree elbow, supposedly this is supposed to make the pump flow better, but physics tells me otherwise...

My stuff from marine depot finally arrived. It took them 7 days to ship my stuff, and UPS beat the crap out of the package. I was surprised nothing was broke or missing. Dr. Foster & Smith will probably get my future business; it takes them one day to get me my orders.

So I think on Sunday I'll get my tank filled. I was thinking about getting a hangon skimmer and filling that first compartment with spaghetti algae, live sand, rubble etc. Northcoastmarines (under the quarantine tanks link) has a small 12'inch light (13watt for $24) that might fit over that part. Then on the other side, I'd ditch the ceramic rings, and upgrade that powerhead. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Got some more pics under my gall

Next thing I need is a better camera--lol

AFter this tank matures 3 to 6 months Im gonna look into your flow upgrade. But for now the Fluval PH is a good water polisher that is needed with all the Dead rock crap in the tank. No more cyano with the use of erythromycin just need to keep it that away. Just added 13 frags this past week and tank is coming to life.

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Looks very nice 130 watts should work great for you... what frags did you stick in there...? tank looks nice... what brand and model camera are you using?

BHP

My camera is a POS--hehehe

HP photosmart 318- I believe it is a 2.3 megapixel

It just doesnt represent the colors the way the tank is-- seems like

the pics are much darker than what the tank is. Guess I could try to use flash or lighten up the room-- been using no flash with the room dark. I got 5 zoa, 1 yuma from Ultmate reef.com-- except the Yuma didnt make it :( (did have a freebie though !!!!)

I also picked up a 7 piece frag with bonus frag from B16A2NR.

His frag pack was nice -- except Eagle eyes didnt make it.

Ended up with 4 zoas ,GSP , Neon something (opps), Sun Polyp, and Green People eaters :).

Much better quality than I ve been able to get from my LFS.

Man I love that new light -- cant believe the difference between it and the stock light.

BHP what to you think about the MH ?? Do you get the good glowing of the corals like my new actinics are doing??

My new light has a dual 420 and 470 actinic- when you turn off the daylight bulbs (dual 6700 and 10000k) the corals glow and is awesome :)

Well back to work today after a week off :(

Take care

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

damn... well the only adjustment you have is exposure... increase the exposure time (but you will have to keep the camera absolutely still, tripod would be best)

soundslike you're going to have a beautiful tank...

yeah the 15,000k bulb makes the corals fluores* w/o supplementing actinics... i love it... are u using sunpaq bulbs? because sunpaq makes a dual actinic w/ O3 actinic and 7100k Blue... the combination looks pretty cool..

They are sunpaq but only got 420 and 460 actinic that was offered in the Satellite fixture. I noticed the Orbit fixture had that Actinic bulb combo but it was to wide to fit the Finnex and still use protein skimmer. Ill check to see if I can get that bulb combo :)

Man that camera ##### A@@-- you cant adjust exposure -- barely can turn the flash off--hehe

New Camera would be a good aniversary gift for the wife and I coming up in Sept.

Izzue

Hmmmm -- Never mind on the lighting-- I think Current list some of the stuff wrong

I bought

Current USA Dual Satellite

Daylight has Sunpaq dual 10k + 6,7 k

Actinic has Sunpaq dual 420 nm + 460 nm

I think when they list 7100 blue -- not a real actinic and the 420 + 460 is better???

Not real sure -- straighten me out man :)

I sure meant to get the best light I could that would still fit without going MH.

Edit: BHP after looking at the Current Web site I think that the actinic 420+ 460 is the same as 7100k/03 ????

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I thought maybe it was that bulb... nothing is to say it's better, but in my opinion it just makes stuff fluorese more and makes the tank look better... there was a fairly popular thread about 7.1k blue and actinic trying to decide which was better, i think i ended the conflict when i posted something about that bulb... every one seemed to agree it would be the best of both worlds, but i never got to see a pic of a tank lit by one... I'm sure your light is absolutly fine... you may even be able to keep some sps up high...

Hey BHP

Your gonna be mad--lol

Just orderd another Damn PH for the tank :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...AG&N=2004+22788

Couldnt stand thinking and seeing my flow just not being enough

The Fluval 2 in their now is rated at 110 gph and the stock return is 305 gph (at least from what I remember), either gonna take out the fluval or add this new pump to the right side -- in tank movement bye new pump 620 gph :) (110 and 305 and 620= better)

You dont think thats gonna be to much flow do ya??

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Never too much flow, but for the time and money you've spent on on those other PHs you could have done what i did...ahh everybody swings their own way i guess... any pics i thought that seio was a huge PH...

Rgr That

Im just not that big on DIY and a guess Im afraid I might screw something up that would cause some grief-- Not to mention the wife " do what you need a new aquarium cause you cracked it-- I dont think so!!!!" hehehe

Lucky to have the one I have--lol

2.17" x 2.6" x 5.5" high-- thats the dimensions on the 620 gph model I got coming in. Hit the link in previous for pic --then more info

Actually I was talking with my LFS that sold me that tank, and was asking him about oversizeing the return pump and he recommended I dont do that??? You would think he would want me to spend and screw up things more $$$ for him. SO far he has been really good about answering all my questions and hasnt sold me anything (live) that would not do well in my tank :)

Next time you are in Miss-- gonna have to get you to come mode my M-tank for me :)

Izzue

Darren-Dyna

IM BACK AGAIN!!!

i havent even set up my tank or lights yet but i have both of them... If you dont remember I am on page 21+ i just started to get intrested ub reef keeping and I am going to start up my tank in about 2-3 weeks I-ll post some pictures soon

Darren-Dyna

IM BACK AGAIN!!!

i havent even set up my tank or lights yet but i have both of them... If you dont remember I am on page 21+ i just started to get intrested ub reef keeping and I am going to start up my tank in about 2-3 weeks I-ll post some pictures soon

Just got the F18g running on Sunday, added 25 lbs of rock from premium aquatics yesterday. Late last nite my readings were:

Temp: 78

Ph: 8.4

Ammonia: .5

Nitrite: .1

Nitrate: distracted by girlfriend who was complaining about me loving the tank more than her.

Got a few questions:

1. I'm not sure my skimmer is working right. Water level is a bout .5 in above the base of the cone. Bubbles/foam is about 1 in thick. This morning it was the same, no gunk or coloration. The skimmer has been running since Sunday. Thoughts?

2. Should I run my lights for anytime during the day during cycling? Since my rock was pretty clean (except for a couple of slightly foul smelling chunks), I think this cycle will be pretty short.

3. I got my rocks stacked against the back of the aquarium, actually leaning on the wall, is this fine, or is this a big no no?

I'm at work and all i can think about is restacking those rocks.

Also, I was thinking of submerging a section between the drip trays and putting some LR in there. I think I have too much rock up front, but i dont want to toss any of it. Thoughts?

Whitmda

I saw your post under the other section--hehehehehe-- They are a little baffled--lol

BHP is great and he or I can help ya just didnt have time to post yet-sry

1-- Sounds like the skimmer needs adjustment- Make sure it is all the way down (grey touching grey) -- their is a adjustment on the output that you can turn slightly one way or the other (dont remember) this will adjust the out flow - in return it will adjust the skimming height. Make sure the air tube is not obstructed in anyway-- you may even want to take the silencer off to make sure. The 1st time mine cranked up it was overskimming and pushing water into the the skim cup-- I raised the skimmer up and held in place with rubberband until it broke in a few hours. Then a was able to lower again. I added my substrate, LR and SW--after skimmer broke in it went to work and I had sewage within couple of hours collecting in cup :)

2--Yes I ran my light cycle of 12 hours during curing-- algae at this stage is good -- and clean up crew can take care of it later.

3--Since the tank is acrylic leaning the rock on back may not present a problem --but may cause some flexing. I have some rock touching the back but none being supported bye the back.

BHP--please give him your advise also.

BHP is the man and is way overskilled and knowledgeable then I :)

Izzue

What benefits would liverock in an unlit sump provide? Would the nitrate reducing algae thrive without light? Or would these rocks turn into bioball-like nitrate factories?

Thanks for the help Izzue. I read a ton of stuff before I got my tank set up. now that things are underway, I realize don't know as much as I thought I did.

Archived