Pod Your Reef

zooman72's 40B build...finally...

zooman72

Yeah, got a few planned, plus I have to make a thread for the new 40B too, it is just having 2 little boys running around and getting over a nasty stomach "bug" has sort of kept me busy... ;)

I will see what I can come up with over the weekend as far as this thread, the 15 column thread and the new 40B gorgonian tank thread, as well as some new lighting reviews for BuildMyLED and Current Marine Orbit, but until then, here is a shot I took just before I got sick...

temporary-169.jpg

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent, thanks. I put the 90 optics back on and raised to about 14 inches above my tank.

Hope you feel better. I went though the stomach crap 4 years ago. Healthy before, healthy after, but that year I got sick 3 times, hugging the toilet type sick. Bad year. I do think it has something to do with the young ones running around and spreading those nasty kid germs. :)

I've got one of the new 20K BuildMyLED strips on order for my 46. Looking forward to seeing how it looks. My favorite fixture is one I made with mostly blue, UV, and warm white.

Thanks for the well wishes - I was only really sick for about 4 days, but wow, what a miserable 4 days! Couldn't keep anything down, even water, severe nausea, muscle cramps galore, etc. Started with the 6-year-old (in kindergarten, which is basically one big petri dish), moved to the 2-year-old (he was as bad as me for about 3 days), then on to the 20-year-old son, then finally me. Wife was also sick for about a day, but seemed to come and go for her - maybe because she sprayed everything with Lysol (worried me with all the tanks I have going)!

I really do like the Razors, and this one is maxing out at 65%:75% for 4 hours, with a total photoperiod of 14 hrs. The one on the other 40B full of gorgs is the same except I flipped the channels (75%:65%) so that it is whiter - brings out the color of the gorgs better. This one is just a bit bluer to bring out the fluorescent pigments in the nems and hammers.

You have some amazing tanks!!!! Get that 40B gorgonian thread going :D.

Done, but now I should update this one a bit I guess... :happy:

• 9 months later...

I guess I am due for an update, so here we go - some new residents include a mystery wrasse, falco hawkfish, and yellow watchmen goby. The Banggai cardinalfish and African red firefish were added a few months in and have become quite large.

I have lost since the beginning the Rolland's, Sinclair's, and Springer's damsels, plus one of the Talbot's damsels - never found any evidence of their demise, but they are most definitely deceased and gone, although not all at once, but scattered over several months. The tank is a bit less boisterous (placid if you will) without the previous damsels, but I am keeping 3 other species in my new 45W as I have a damsel problem. :)

The yellow tang was re-homed as he/she got too big, and the Lubbock's wrasse declined over time (~3 months) until it passed as well - I suspect collection stress or parasites, as it continued to eat but also continued to lose weight until the end.

So, I still have 12 fish, and they have been together in this group as is for at least the last 4-5 months (mystery wrasse was added last) - pair of ocellaris clowns, Talbot's damsel, azure damsel, YT damsel, African firefish, Banggai cardinalfish, mystery wrasse, tailspot blenny, YW goby, Falco's hawkfish, and elongate psuedochromid.

The anemones now number 9 (4 greens and 5 reds), the leathers were moved to get away from the tree corals (still not happy as the hawk and tailspot are constantly perching on them), and most significantly, the hammer corals have gotten massive. The only corals lost were the orange ricordea and the brain when the hammers decided one day to send out some very long sweeper tentacles... :(

Here are some pics:

FTS 1 and 2 (trying to get all of the fish in there!)...

temporary-2276.jpg

temporary-1364.jpg

End shots, left side first, followed by partial right (wall is in the way)...

temporary-933.jpg

temporary-1075.jpg

Finally, the view from the kitchen looking into my study/ office...

temporary-1116.jpg

B) lookin good zoo, that hammer is NUTS!

Thanks, and yeah, "they" are now looking too big for the tank - started with probably 10-12 heads total, plus the wall hammer, and now there must be almost 70 heads combined, plus the wall hammer has doubled in size. I am contemplating taking out both sections of branching hammers and just keeping the wall hammer. The Grube's gorgonian has also gotten big, arching up over the Kenya trees, but the bottom "stems" have little polyp extension due to the trees' toxic nature.

Thanks, and yeah, "they" are now looking too big for the tank - started with probably 10-12 heads total, plus the wall hammer, and now there must be almost 70 heads combined, plus the wall hammer has doubled in size. I am contemplating taking out both sections of branching hammers and just keeping the wall hammer. The Grube's gorgonian has also gotten big, arching up over the Kenya trees, but the bottom "stems" have little polyp extension due to the trees' toxic nature.

too big for the tank is a good look though, I love huge colonies. hell, look at tron's big 'ol frog, pretty cool imo.

If that was in my study/ office I would study the tank but no office work would get done.

I have 3 other tanks in there with this one, 2 of them marine "reefs", so it does offer a nice distraction or two... ;)

So nice to see an update, your tanks are always fantastic looking. Can you update us on all of them?

Thanks for the kind words, and I will see what I can do about the other two that have threads here on NR.

I was actually thinking of creating a simple fourth thread for all of the rest (have 6 others), but will need some good pics for that... :happy:

Archived