ReefCleaners.org

zooman72's 40B build...finally...

zooman72

getting late, so i just skimmed through real quick. Frikken looks amazing. Love what your doing with the aquascaping. I'll have to drop in tomorrow and really see what your doing here in detail. I'm really curious about that durso, i need to modify mine in my frag tank.

Hey Zia - thanks, and no problem, drop by anytime... :)

That "silencer" is a Hofer "gurglebuster", and may not be as quiet as some other methods (not sure really as I am only using this method), but I had no other choice due to the size of the external overflow portion. Really, all I hear now is a little bit of "trickle" from the drain hose below the overflow... :happy:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
santacreekfurrows

Nice,

I have a 25 setup now, getting some life going while my DIY rock cures out and the PH settles... Awesome pics. I picked up a 50, just a couple inches taller. I have a bunch of stuff ordered and hope to order my light tomorrow. I'm looking at the Odyssea 4x39w light for like $80 from AquaTraders to get by for now. I hope to keep Zoanthids, Mushrooms, and possibly xenia and toadstool leather coral someday. My budget this "Sam Season" is pretty much blown and I don't even have all the toys I wanted yet...LOL Do you think that light would be OK for a while, or can you recommend a decent light for a 36x18" tank, one that isn't $200 or more...?

I am wondering, are you only putting more than 2 clowns in there because you'll have the anemones? I'd like to have a group but was under the impression that I'd be better if I stuck with 2.

I had this whole post typed up with all kinds of questions about my planned setup and stocking ideas.... I'll save it for my own thread...LOL Nice stuff, hope to see more.

Hello SCF, thanks, and good to hear that you have a new tank. I considered the 50, but did not like the center brace - does yours have one?

The only other way to light a tank that size and dimensions inexpensively would be a 250W metal halide, which could be found "used" on this forum maybe, or another like Reef Central. The light you have chosen would be OK for easier corals, but the reflectors and ballasts used in it are not the best obviously. Also, many choose to use six T5 in the 36"/ 39W size for a tank that size, but that gets expensive too. You could also try the ReefBreeders Value LED fixture for a tank your size, and that fixture would also be under your budget, but if you have a center brace than it and the metal halide would probably not work... :(

As for the clowns, ocellaris tend to be the least aggressive with conspecifics compared to other clowns, and I am attempting to replicate what is sometimes found in the wild - a dominant pair in association with a small group of sub-adults. Right now, I have one dominant clown (the second largest), one tiny submissive clown that elicits no response from either of the larger two, and one that is almost as large as the dominant one and has drawn the "ire" of it. The second largest is frequently going after the third largest, but I am hoping that once the anemones are in there that this behavior may dissipate as they stake out defined territories over the anemones. I then hope I can introduce a couple of smaller ones that pose no threat to the larger ones - this is all risky, and I am aware of it, but the challenge will be worth it - just like it is in my 29g Caribbean gorgonian tank with 5 royal grammas... :o;)

Well, it appears that the tank is progressing nicely as far as a cycle (or lack thereof...) goes, so it is time to start adding the anemones...

First up - the long-tentacle anemone that would not settle into my 20L with the A. clarkii clowns - seems to like it so far after 2 days... B)

temporary-24.jpg

temporary-23.jpg

Of course, the clowns won't even look at it, but I hope to pick up the BTA's within a week or so... :)

Nice,

I have a 25 setup now, getting some life going while my DIY rock cures out and the PH settles... Awesome pics. I picked up a 50, just a couple inches taller. I have a bunch of stuff ordered and hope to order my light tomorrow. I'm looking at the Odyssea 4x39w light for like $80 from AquaTraders to get by for now. I hope to keep Zoanthids, Mushrooms, and possibly xenia and toadstool leather coral someday. My budget this "Sam Season" is pretty much blown and I don't even have all the toys I wanted yet...LOL Do you think that light would be OK for a while, or can you recommend a decent light for a 36x18" tank, one that isn't $200 or more...?

I am wondering, are you only putting more than 2 clowns in there because you'll have the anemones? I'd like to have a group but was under the impression that I'd be better if I stuck with 2.

I had this whole post typed up with all kinds of questions about my planned setup and stocking ideas.... I'll save it for my own thread...LOL Nice stuff, hope to see more.

Xenia is a beautiful coral that adds a lot of motion to a tank, but it spreads fairly quickly and I found it to be aggressive in how it tries and succeeds in taking over in tank real estate occupied by other coral.

For light maybe you should look into starting with a couple of Par38 led bulbs and then add more as your budget allows.

For light maybe you should look into starting with a couple of Par38 led bulbs and then add more as your budget allows.

Would probably be better off with the 4x39W T5 fixture, even if it is a cheap one - a pair of Par38's would not be nearly enough light for a 50g...

Would probably be better off with the 4x39W T5 fixture, even if it is a cheap one - a pair of Par38's would not be nearly enough light for a 50g...

I should add that I don't have direct experience with the par bulbs. The T5's are probably the simpler solution.

BTW, Zooman72, I really like your 40 Breeder aquascape. You have a beautiful setup.

BTW, Zooman72, I really like your 40 Breeder aquascape. You have a beautiful setup.

Thank you very much....

I will have to post some new stuff I guess...hopefully I can pick up some of the BTA's tomorrow! omgomgomgfingerscrossed

Look back at the 29g gorgonian tank, but that picture is not exactly representative of what they look like in person, so I will have to get a better one of that tank, maybe by playing with the picture settings on my phone.... :happy:

Look back at the 29g gorgonian tank, but that picture is not exactly representative of what they look like in person, so I will have to get a better one of that tank, maybe by playing with the picture settings on my phone.... :happy:

How would you describe them? I just ordered one for a Coral QT tank I'm planning. I would love more pics if possible :D

Well, they are definitely different from the original layout - more of a 12-14K look (no yellow cast as in some 10,000K spreads), but with the same great color rendition - in fact I think personally they have a slightly better color rendition than the original layout. Colors do "pop" well with both "full-specs", but I like the "plus" fixtures as some colors show better - purples and oranges for example.

I think you will like it... ;)

Just a few pics from the last day or so...

temporary-31.jpg

Yellow tang has completely healed from the fin erosion and HLLE it had in quarantine (makes me wonder about the carbon in there)...

temporary-32.jpg

Hey you two - there is an anemone right there!

temporary-33.jpg

New (and fat) orange-spotted goby - acclimated readily, even with all of the action around him, and has not hid once...:)

temporary-34.jpg

The clown trio hanging out in their usual spot - I think they have started to bother the brain (damn punks!)...

temporary-37.jpg

The banggai cardinal "pair" that lasted as a pair for all of 2 days, then the big one turned on the little one, and he is now in the sump...:(

More to come.....

I'm about to pick up a decent camera so we should plan a meet-up sometime soon. I'll buy a frag or two and get to practice shooting on your tank! I know you talked to veganbrian about that but I haven't heard from him. Is he ok?

you must work a weird shift right? I always catch you when I stay up later than I should. haha

I'm about to pick up a decent camera so we should plan a meet-up sometime soon. I'll buy a frag or two and get to practice shooting on your tank! I know you talked to veganbrian about that but I haven't heard from him. Is he ok?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea - I am up for a meet, and I welcome the "target practice"... ;) , although I may not have any frags of anything to offer - just the privilege of my company and aquariums! :lol:

As for Brian - I have not heard from him, and I do hope he is OK too.

Maybe he just got wrapped up in life - happens to all of us... :wacko:

you must work a weird shift right? I always catch you when I stay up later than I should. haha

Nah, just a night owl (or vampire :ninja: ) - plus I cherish the quiet time after the 2 little ones go to bed...

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea - I am up for a meet, and I welcome the "target practice"... ;) , although I may not have any frags of anything to offer - just the privilege of my company and aquariums! :lol:

As for Brian - I have not heard from him, and I do hope he is OK too.

Maybe he just got wrapped up in life - happens to all of us... :wacko:

I'm OK with target practice. The reef community is rather small (WNY) here and I'm happy to make a new acquaintance, as long as your ok with a cold beverage.

But yea, about Brian, I got some stuff from him, and all is well but the torch I lost. Not his fault, but I know he himself was battling a few things and hope he's ok.

I'm OK with target practice. The reef community is rather small (WNY) here and I'm happy to make a new acquaintance, as long as your ok with a cold beverage.

But yea, about Brian, I got some stuff from him, and all is well but the torch I lost. Not his fault, but I know he himself was battling a few things and hope he's ok.

Hmmmmm....cold beverage huh? :welcome:

Sure, bring what you like! :lol:

Seriously though, I have a few beers laying around the fridge, slummin' it with some Mike's Hard, and you are welcome to share in the bounty... :P

I will have to keep an eye out for Brian - have not seen him over on the Upstate Reef Society subforum on RC either come to think of it...

Wow mad props to your scaping. Great eye for placement. Love the brain and your ric garden.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment, although I have to convince the clowns to leave the brain alone, especially the largest one - caught him savoring some brain mucus earlier... :o

Digging all the softies in the tank. Really adds to movement and depth.

Thanks - I have to get some live rock under my leathers to prop them up higher behind the Kenya trees - they were stretched out quite a bit in the dealer's tank (under Reef Brites...), but have settled in a bit lower in this tank... <_<

Oh, and I have to admit - I love softies and LPS so much more than SPS - easier to keep and their movement rocks! :D

I am ordering the camera tomorrow or the next day, so in a couple weeks i'll be looking to expand my horizons. I'll bring a 6er of something that reacts like a 12 :)

Thanks - I have to get some live rock under my leathers to prop them up higher behind the Kenya trees - they were stretched out quite a bit in the dealer's tank (under Reef Brites...), but have settled in a bit lower in this tank... <_<

Oh, and I have to admit - I love softies and LPS so much more than SPS - easier to keep and their movement rocks! :D

That's the reason for my love of anemones and softies. Is your sand deep enough for a sand dwelling anemone? I've been heavily involved in anemones for a while, keeping everything from BTAs to giganteas, and I've never been able to keep an LTA happy in less than 4" of sand. I lost a red LTA to a powerhead because it decided to detach from a 2" sand bed.

On another note, I had that same skimmer and had trouble with micro bubbles as well. Not sure if my water level was too low, but even after a couple of months of skimming, they never went away. I had to resort to putting a media bag over the outlet to get rid of micro bubbles in my display.

I am ordering the camera tomorrow or the next day, so in a couple weeks i'll be looking to expand my horizons. I'll bring a 6er of something that reacts like a 12 :)

:lol:

Archived