Innovative Marine Aquariums

zooman72's 40B build...finally...

zooman72

Its all coming together nicely! I love the new addition. I want one or a midas blenny but yours makes me want a tailspot lol!

Thanks FB!

The Midas blennies are a good bit bigger, but I personally like the coloration of the tailspots. Just be sure if you grab a tailspot that you get one that is not emaciated, as I have not seen many recover if they are too thin to start with... :( The bigger the better!

New FTS?

Not much has changed yet as I am still waiting for the other BTA's, but I will grab one in a minute...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest FTS (never mind the dirty glass and reflection of my computer screen) - moved the leathers up with some live rock, but now have to shift them over to the right, plus the Kenya trees have been a little unhappy the last day or so...

temporary-72.jpg

The other half of the GBTA that split (the other is facing the rear of the tank) - looks a little bleached, which is somewhat odd as it previously was under 250W MH's (14K Hamilton bulbs I believe) and mine is only 150W...

temporary-73.jpg

Looking great! I'm liking the look of this!

Thanks, but should look alot better with some more (and larger) BTAs... :happy:

My family loves all the fish though... :)

FishBrawler

Thanks, but should look alot better with some more (and larger) BTAs... :happy:

My family loves all the fish though... :)

Thats always a plus. May I ask why you added a damsel?

That is excluding the clowns as damsels lol :lol:

Thats always a plus. May I ask why you added a damsel?

That is excluding the clowns as damsels lol :lol:

I love damsels, and there are 5 in here - 2 azure (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) and 3 Springer's (Chrysiptera springeri) - and they are great splashes of color. They are also not a threat to anything else in the tank as they are small, they eat anything and everything offered, and the 2 species are known for being relatively peaceful for damsels (unless crowded in a smaller tank).

The clowns (at least the 2 larger ones) are much more of a problem here than the other damsels, but I love clowns too...

FishBrawler

I love damsels, and there are 5 in here - 2 azure (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) and 3 Springer's (Chrysiptera springeri) - and they are great splashes of color. They are also not a threat to anything else in the tank as they are small, they eat anything and everything offered, and the 2 species are known for being relatively peaceful for damsels (unless crowded in a smaller tank).

The clowns (at least the 2 larger ones) are much more of a problem here than the other damsels, but I love clowns too...

Well thats good to hear. You usually just hear so many people putting down damsels so I was wondering why since you obviously have alot in there.

Well thats good to hear. You usually just hear so many people putting down damsels so I was wondering why since you obviously have alot in there.

Damsels can be a pain, no doubt, but so can a lot of other species - the idea is to plan properly, and not to get too ambitious, expecting them to be model citizens no matter what.

I just appreciate their hardiness, colors, penchance for being easy to feed, and their activity levels, plus they are usually inexpensive... :naughtydance:

The new FTS looks good, I love your leather corals, makes me want to get one :D.

Thanks!

I got them for a good deal too from a LFS near me - $40 for the pair, and they are nice and tall - my pics don't do them justice... :happy: Took a few days for them to settle in though, and worried me a little... :unsure:

I have a theory that the Tyree green leather coral in my 15g column is the reason for the loss of my xenia and anthelia from that tank, and I am tempted to temporarily move a leather into my 29g gorgonian tank to see if it will get rid of the invasive anthelia in there... :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess it is time for an update. Lost my small sailfin tang - slowly declined over a 2 week period after doing very well initially for the first week, and the other one he came in with also died in another tank (not mine) over the same time frame - should have enacted a specific quarantine protocol maybe, but not clear what they succumbed to.

Decided to get another fish or two, and came up with a pair of blurs, although I hope they slow down a little for better photography... :happy:

First up, the Lamarck's angel - not sure about this one though - looks great, eats well, but went after my beloved open brain coral... :angry:

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-79.jpg.html'>temporary-79.jpg

Next up is the elongate dottyback (one of my favorite fish!) - great color, just very shy (i.e. a blur) the first few days now... :)

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-75.jpg.html'>temporary-75.jpg

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-80.jpg.html'>temporary-80.jpg

The scarlet cleaner is also doing well, but hiding alot still, but does come out to eat...

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-76.jpg.html'>temporary-76.jpg

The tailspot blenny is doing very well, and not shy at all, and still very fat!

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-78.jpg.html'>temporary-78.jpg

Tailspot and orange-spot hanging out...

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-74.jpg.html'>temporary-74.jpg

Orange-spot posing by the ricordeas, as usual...

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-77.jpg.html'>temporary-77.jpg

Gotta find some time to grab some more BTA's...

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-81.jpg.html'>temporary-81.jpg

jedimasterben

Lamarck's angels are strictly planktivores and algaevores - I have never heard a confirmed case of them picking at any coral unless it was trying to get at algae next to it. Zoas are a prime target here, because algae can grow in between the polyps.

They are one of my favorite fish, and my favorite angel, but they are known to be mean to other planktivores, I do want to get one, but they get very large, on average 7-8" for the males, and don't process food very well, so they do need to be fed often IMHO unless they have a lot of very well established live rock to peck on.

When I get my big tank, though, I'm totally getting one (or a pair). :)

Lamarck's angels are strictly planktivores and algaevores - I have never heard a confirmed case of them picking at any coral unless it was trying to get at algae next to it. Zoas are a prime target here, because algae can grow in between the polyps.

They are one of my favorite fish, and my favorite angel, but they are known to be mean to other planktivores, I do want to get one, but they get very large, on average 7-8" for the males, and don't process food very well, so they do need to be fed often IMHO unless they have a lot of very well established live rock to peck on.

When I get my big tank, though, I'm totally getting one (or a pair). :)

Yep, that is why I got her - she is not supposed to pick at my open brain, not supposed to get that large (5-6" tops for females usually), and not supposed to bully anyone else - so far, she is 2 for 3! I have actually seen her several times actually nip at the brain (no algae around it), but nothing confirmed for the past couple of days, so maybe she will get it out of her system.

She is easy to feed however (often picking at the rocks too), quite peaceful so far, and one of my favorites also... :)

Now, if only the elongate dottyback would come out more often - he was quite bold in the store... :(

Pics look great zooman. Everything looks so happy :D

Thanks Jordan - so far so good - even my brain coral is perking up today a little (first the large clown, then the angel... :wacko: ) - just have to grab some more anemones (and hope they like the front better!)... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Update?

Wow, have I been gone so long?! Sorry about that!

Tank still humming along, after a minor "power outage issue" (and a few lost fish as a result), but have not done much - still working on getting my nicely finished basement repaired after some serious rainfall a few weeks back, which of course caused flooding...

Once everything is back to normal around here I plan on grabbing some new anemones - just have to get a minor algae outbreak under control first though.

Wow, have I been gone so long?! Sorry about that!

Tank still humming along, after a minor "power outage issue" (and a few lost fish as a result), but have not done much - still working on getting my nicely finished basement repaired after some serious rainfall a few weeks back, which of course caused flooding...

Once everything is back to normal around here I plan on grabbing some new anemones - just have to get a minor algae outbreak under control first though.

You left us for soooo long! Don't do that again!

• 2 months later...

Hey zooman, i also use the eshopps nano overflow and want to make a gurgle buster like yours. Did you shrink all the dimensions from those listed on the "hofer burgle buster" site? Or was is just the long piece of 1" pipe?

Hey zooman, i also use the eshopps nano overflow and want to make a gurgle buster like yours. Did you shrink all the dimensions from those listed on the "hofer burgle buster" site? Or was is just the long piece of 1" pipe?

If I recall correctly, I did just that - reduced the original dimensions so that the contraption would fit the overflow... :)

YOU'RE BACK!

:lol:

Never really left - just in a sort of holding pattern until I finally pull the trigger on some more anemones - local prices for larger RBTA's (and even GBTA's) are outrageous! :bling::wacko:

:lol:

Never really left - just in a sort of holding pattern until I finally pull the trigger on some more anemones - local prices for larger RBTA's (and even GBTA's) are outrageous! :bling::wacko:

well none the less! fts imediately! Chop chop!

Archived