Coral Vue Hydros

zooman72's 40B build...finally...

zooman72

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how's the tang doing in your 40b? I'm considering a kole for my 40b, but unsure about it..

The YT is doing great (fat, active and happy), but I lost the sailfin and angel during the extended power outage we suffered when we were flooded - I miss them... :( I have been looking for a smaller kole, maybe a bit bigger than the yellow so that it can hold its own during introduction... :owned:

Everything is looking great. I love seeing all of your fish :) Nice islands too - works really well.

Thank you, but still looking for BTA's... fingerscrossed

OK - here are a few recent (and poor :( ) shots:

Behind my desk...

temporary-92.jpg

FTS...

temporary-93.jpg

The YT was the only one of my three "larger" fish to survive the summer flood, here with the orange-spotted goby...

temporary-94.jpg

The YWG "rescued" from a local retailer's shop, often he is laying on the brain...

temporary-95.jpg

TSB is the fattest I have ever seen (can't tell from this pic though)...

temporary-96.jpg

Finally, the 3 clowns are now two - the large female finally started hosting the largest GBTA, and she had a little "hissy fit" for a day or so, going after the smallest clown (was in the overflow, now in the sump and OK) and for some reason my elongate dottyback (was also in the overflow, placed back in the tank as I did not see the clown actually target him, and now MIA for a few days... :( ) - she has also became a real bitch during water changes, actually coming out of the water once or twice after my hand... :oomgomgomg

Here is a side shot of the larger nem, the weird little half of the one that split (never has grown or seems "happy"), the huge Grube's gorgonian (started as a 3" frag, now around 12"), and of course the clowns...

temporary-97.jpg

Tank has recovered nicely from the crash (a lot of algae came and went), but I am looking for some additional fish since I lost the sailfin and angel... fingerscrossed I am also contemplating ditching the halide for a Photon 24... ;)

Well, came downstairs this morning to a nice surprise - found the elongate dottyback, but unfortunately it was in the overflow again (what a pain to get that fish out of there too!)... :(

So I decided to spend some time observing the tank to see what was going on:

1) The dottyback seems to want to live over on the right side of the tank in the "big island" structure, but the female clown, Spinger's damsel (thought I had two, but the other appears to be a Sinclair's), and tailspot blenny really don't want it over there! It is a shame too as the smaller left side island is really only claimed by the yellow watchmen goby, and "he" never goes after anything... :happydance:

2) The female ocellaris and the Springer's every so often "go up against" one another, with the Springer's putting on quite a show - fins flared and twitching, which seems to either placate the female clown or confuse her, as she then "moves on"... :huh:

3) The two clowns, but especially the male, do a bit of surfing every now and then on the MP10 flow - don't really see any other fish doing this... B)

4) The Springer's is dominant over the Sinclair's and the pair of Azure's damsels, but it also is the largest of the four damsels in there... <_<

5) The orangespotted goby and the yellow watchmen goby have no interaction whatsoever, but they are also inhabiting separate "islands"... :happy:

All-in-all, I am glad to have the elongate dottyback still in there, but I am worried that he may be too stubborn to remain over on the calmer left third of the tank, and I really do not want to fish him out of the overflow any more... :angry:

Look who's back! :wub:

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-98.jpg.html'>temporary-98.jpg

Of course, he is flitting back and forth between the two islands, and here under the clowns' anemone being chased by both the female clown and the Springer's damsel...sigh... :owned:

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-99.jpg.html'>temporary-99.jpg

Now pushing his luck with the tailspot blenny... :scarry:

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-100.jpg.html'>temporary-100.jpg

Watch out! :slap:

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-101.jpg.html'>temporary-101.jpg

This is after not seeing him for well over a week, thinking him gone, and now he is all over the place, pushing his luck of course... omgomgomg

Took me about 20 minutes to get those four pics - he is fast! :haha:

Tank is looking great, nice to see the fish are (mostly) getting along. I can't wait to get myself a larger tank so I get get a few larger fish like Tangs or Angels.

Tank is looking great, nice to see the fish are (mostly) getting along. I can't wait to get myself a larger tank so I get get a few larger fish like Tangs or Angels.

Thanks - they are almost always an adventure!

The tang won't be here for its entire life (probably), but it won't be the first time I will have to trade a fish in... :happy:

I miss the Lamarck's angel, and am looking at adding one or two more fish in addition to the anemones I have been planning on for months - maybe another small angel of sorts or a fathead anthia... fingerscrossed

Actually have a purple firefish in quarantine that might go in too... omgomgomg

Decided to enlist some help in my battle with phosphates, so enter the Aqua Medic Phosphatfilter Fe (read about it here on ReefBuilders: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/10/07/aquamedic-phosphatfilter-fe-preloaded-coarse-gfo/ ) - came preloaded with their AntiPhos Fe, and I hooked it up with a spare MJ 900 I had laying around.

I have to say, it is very well built, and let's hope it does the trick... ;)

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-108.jpg.html'>temporary-108.jpg

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/aaroncobaugh/media/temporary-109.jpg.html'>temporary-109.jpg

• 2 months later...

nice tank! love all the fish in there. any updates?

Actually, I do have several updates, but I have not had much time to get some good pcs - let's see what I can do about that... ;)

OK, well I guess it is time for some updates, so let's see if I can remember them all:

1) Biggest update was the addition of more BTA's - 6 more to be exact! I got lucky, and a couple of local reefers where offering up some RBTA's, so I grabbed 4 of them - 2 large and 2 small, and one of the large is bigger than I anticipated - almost 10" across when open! I also got another pair of GBTA's from a friend at the local public aquarium - one large and one small... :naughtydance:

2) The fish lineup changed a bit, as I lost a couple of prized specimens with the power outage/ summer flooding issue a few months back (my Lamarck's angel and my little sailfin tang, and also one of my azure damsels), so I added the following: one yellowtail damsel, one Rolland's damsel (awesome fish!), pair of Talbot's damsels (another of my favorites), and a Lubbock's fairy wrasse. This brings my fish count up to 14! I have upped my water changes a bit, but no serious issues in water quality have popped up... ;)

3) Changed my lighting - now using a ReefBreeders Photon 24 - I have to admit, this is a quality fixture, and I like the controller. I am still ramping up the intensity, and as of now, the light peaks at 35% blue and 30% white at midday... B)

4) Only negative issue I have encountered is my pair of leather corals have been losing pieces of themselves over the last few months, with the pieces settling out and growing throughout the tank - odd to say the least... :(

5) Also lost the orangespotted goby - found him on the floor one evening, and I think he jumped through a small gap in the tank cover because my soon-to-be 2 year old son was smacking the tank - he loves to scare the fish, and the wife won't let me beat him... :lol:

Now for the requisite pics...

FTS...

temporary-116.jpg

temporary-110.jpg

temporary-111.jpg

Anemone "island"...

temporary-112.jpg

A couple of the Rolland's damsel - I just love damsels, and this is the first time I have had local access to one - the color is not well-represented here though (it figures)...

temporary-122.jpg

temporary-117.jpg

Talbot's damsels and fairy wrasse..

temporary-113.jpg

temporary-119.jpg

temporary-118.jpg

temporary-125.jpg

Weird leathers...

temporary-124.jpg

Nice small GBTA...

temporary-123.jpg

Weird small GBTA - split from one of the larger ones, has looked like this for months...also notice the little leather "frags" around...

temporary-120.jpg

Pair of original GBTA's that have never moved from their spot at the rear of the "island"...dammit...good color though and nice bubbling of the tentacles...

temporary-121.jpg

Well, that is all for now - I need a better camera than my smartphone, and I am looking to add another MP10 to the opposite side of the tank. I also may have to move (or frag - although I love its mature shape) my Grube's gorgonian as it is getting squeezed by the anemones now...

Damn everything, now I've gotta have an anemone rock in my tank. THANKS!

:lol:

Yeah, I do not regret the decision I made while planning this, but too be honest, I think you should blame Lawnman for your "future problem" - it was his shallow cube with the anemones in the center that inspired this (along with another 40B full of RBTA's over on ReefCentral)... :P

Seriously though, this tank has been "easy-peasy" from a husbandry standpoint - wow, I hope I didn't just jinx myself... fingerscrossed

Cool tank. Omg tang in a 40 ... Interested in how long before he has to go back. Mine is growing fast. So how is that phosphate thingy working?

Cool tank. Omg tang in a 40 ... Interested in how long before he has to go back. Mine is growing fast. So how is that phosphate thingy working?

Thanks!

Tang has been in there since last March I believe, and while it has not grown much in terms of length, it certainly has fattened up since I got it, and seems quite healthy at this point - was a bit of a "mess" when I brought it home (lateral line erosion), and I did not think it would make it through quarantine. It will be traded in when it gets a bit bigger I would think, and I am in no rush... ;)

The Aqua Medic phosphate filter seems to be working well, but they use a larger "grain" size GFO media which is supposed to work more slowly and longer than traditional GFO's. However, I never meant for it to work overtime here - filter sock changes, a good skimmer, and water changes do the "heavy lifting here... :)

• 1 month later...

Update?

Not much to report, but I will try to get a new shot today - moved the gorgonian as the anemones were causing polyp retraction in a few parts, and I upped the two channels a bit on the Photon24, and now my green anemones are quite a bit lighter in color, but still "bubbly", so I don't know if I should lower the lighting levels again or not (damn)... :(

My dottyback has also decided to live under the brain coral, and has excavated the substrate from beneath it - have to maybe find a platform for it that keeps it from being "undermined"... :wacko:

Let me see what I can come up with shortly... :)

Not much to report, but I will try to get a new shot today - moved the gorgonian as the anemones were causing polyp retraction in a few parts, and I upped the two channels a bit on the Photon24, and now my green anemones are quite a bit lighter in color, but still "bubbly", so I don't know if I should lower the lighting levels again or not (damn)... :(

My dottyback has also decided to live under the brain coral, and has excavated the substrate from beneath it - have to maybe find a platform for it that keeps it from being "undermined"... :wacko:

Let me see what I can come up with shortly... :)

LEDs are different haha! But on the bright side (get it... bright :D ) you can dim them. I would say that thr bright light is telling it that it dorsnt need at much chlorophyll to survive, but it you want them darker, I would turn it down. If they are healthy and you like it, dont worry!

LEDs are different haha! But on the bright side (get it... bright :D ) you can dim them. I would say that thr bright light is telling it that it dorsnt need at much chlorophyll to survive, but it you want them darker, I would turn it down. If they are healthy and you like it, dont worry!

Well, I have always been most careful with light acclimation and overall usage, and I only increased the output on each channel 5% at most (have it set to slowly increase throughout morning into early afternoon, and then back down into the evening), but these green BTA's were from a system where they were frequently fed and not brightly lit (public aquarium), and I am not feeding, so maybe they are a bit more sensitive - the red BTA's have not changed color one bit and are still gorgeous... :blink: All other corals have shown zero ill issues with the lighting going up a bit, and even though the green BTA's have lost quite a bit of color, they are still "bubbled", whereas the red ones are not... :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Archived