Top Shelf Aquatics

zooman72's 40B build...finally...

zooman72

That's the reason for my love of anemones and softies. Is your sand deep enough for a sand dwelling anemone? I've been heavily involved in anemones for a while, keeping everything from BTAs to giganteas, and I've never been able to keep an LTA happy in less than 4" of sand. I lost a red LTA to a powerhead because it decided to detach from a 2" sand bed.

On another note, I had that same skimmer and had trouble with micro bubbles as well. Not sure if my water level was too low, but even after a couple of months of skimming, they never went away. I had to resort to putting a media bag over the outlet to get rid of micro bubbles in my display.

Well, actually, it does not seem all that "happy" at night, and that may be due to the fact I only have about 2.5" of sand in this tank. I did have almost 3.5" in my 20L where it was initially, but it would not settle down there either. It seems to pull its foot up at night, and comes periously close to floating off. I have seen other local reefers (and others online) keep them in 2-3 inches of sand, as long as they can pull in under a rock, which this one did at the LFS, but it only did it initially for me for the first week or so. I may decide to find a new home for it if it continues to look "off".

As for the skimmer, I had major microbubbles for the first week or so, but now there are very few. I have it in about 9.5" of water, and actually have another one in the exact same sump layout on my 29g. For the money, it is pretty quiet and effective. This one is destined for my 20L as soon as my Bubble Magus Curve 5 comes in later this week... :happydance:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, time for an update...had a nice surprise when I got home yesterday...

temporary-45.jpg

temporary-46.jpg

Got me some "Chinese sexy"...

temporary-47.jpg

temporary-48.jpg

Now, with the nice and clean sump - whisper quiet and zero microbubbles...I may pick up 2 more and sell off the SCA-301's, I like the BM Curve 5 that much!

temporary-49.jpg

Well, not much action here - as some have intimated, maybe I need to be an #######, or have boobies.... ;)

Seriously though, everything is progressing well enough...

BM Curve 5 broke in within a few hours, and starting to pull some nice stuff - picked up 2 more for 20L and 29g...

temporary-54.jpg

"New" sailfin tang settled in well, at least after the yellow gave it the once over for a night...

temporary-58.jpg

temporary-59.jpg

Banggai cardinal no longer afraid of me...

temporary-57.jpg

temporary-60.jpg

Added the 2 GBTA's, and one split immediately, with the 2 halves still not out and about, but the other is out - too bad facing the rear of the tank... <_< Also, pulled the silver bush gorgonian (continued to recede, which is too bad after 6+ years... :( ) and replaced it with a Grube's gorgonian (Pinnagorgia sp.) that outgrew my BC 14, and the LTA moved to the back corner...

temporary-61.jpg

Leathers have also settled in finally - have to place some more live rock under them and pick them up a bit...

temporary-62.jpg

Left side...

temporary-53.jpg

Right side...

temporary-63.jpg

Down the length...

temporary-64.jpg

FTS...and not the best either... :wacko:

temporary-51.jpg

One for the road - I just like this one...

temporary-55.jpg

i like that skimmer :D

how quiet is yours?

Seriously, it is fantastic - can't even hear it hum!

I liked it so much I grabbed two more - going to selling the SCA-301's from the 20L and 29g - nothing really wrong with them, but the Curve 5's are so much nicer... :wub:

i cant wait to get mine up and running.

i love how easy it is to take apart and clean. plus the wine bottle shape is much better then the old cone.

i cant wait to get mine up and running.

i love how easy it is to take apart and clean. plus the wine bottle shape is much better then the old cone.

Yeah, they really did a nice job with this one, and I was pleasantly surprised how quickly it broke in - can't wait to get my other 2 in and running on the other 2 tanks... fingerscrossedomgomgomg

Just looked back a few pages and saw the shots of those other tanks. You sir, have a problem.

A good problem if there is such a thing.

Man you have a some nice looking tanks in that picture too!

Why thank you good sir...

Just looked back a few pages and saw the shots of those other tanks. You sir, have a problem.

A good problem if there is such a thing.

Yeah, I have heard that before, usually from the wife! :lol:

i think ive seen that 45f before......

Hmmmmm.......wonder where...... :happy:

Maybe I will try to get a good pic of it in the morning - turned out quite nice and just what I wanted - a low tech, easy to care for, simple planted tank I can see over from my seat at my desk! :)

Everything is looking great zoo, the tank is really coming along nicely. After seeing how awesome your new skimmer looks I took a look at them myself for my current tank, unfortunately they were all too big for my my size requirements and the ones that would fit (NAC Nano) couldn't handle my water quantity. I ended up settling on a Aqua Macro M-30 and will hopefully get it tomorrow. This will be my third skimmer on this tank so hopefully I don't have to change it again haha :D.

Everything is looking great zoo, the tank is really coming along nicely. After seeing how awesome your new skimmer looks I took a look at them myself for my current tank, unfortunately they were all too big for my my size requirements and the ones that would fit (NAC Nano) couldn't handle my water quantity. I ended up settling on a Aqua Macro M-30 and will hopefully get it tomorrow. This will be my third skimmer on this tank so hopefully I don't have to change it again haha :D.

Thanks RJ - the NAC Nano does not use the same type of pump, so I would have to have one in hand before I would recommend it personally. We don't get the Aqua Macro line here in the U.S., but hopefully it works well enough for you - I know what it is like to switch out equipment - my 20L and 29g tanks will be on their 3rd skimmer each: first the Tunze 9002, then the SCA-301, and now the BM Curve 5!

I am just going to have to sell off the pair of 9002's and 301's, or the wife is going to end me! ;)

Zooman 72 - wow awesome tank !!! And great choice on the skimmer - I am looking to replace my sca-302 with the curve 5 too !!!

Thanks RJ - the NAC Nano does not use the same type of pump, so I would have to have one in hand before I would recommend it personally. We don't get the Aqua Macro line here in the U.S., but hopefully it works well enough for you - I know what it is like to switch out equipment - my 20L and 29g tanks will be on their 3rd skimmer each: first the Tunze 9002, then the SCA-301, and now the BM Curve 5!

I am just going to have to sell off the pair of 9002's and 301's, or the wife is going to end me! ;)

The Aqua Macro stuff seems to be big in asia and their nano line looks pretty good, they offer a hang on calcium reactor, skimmer and media reactor all with the same footprint and from what I have read the pumps seem pretty reliable. If it's no good I'll be onto my fourth skimmer haha. I wanted a Tunze 9002 so badly but the $300AUD price tag for a new one almost made me cry :(.

Zooman 72 - wow awesome tank !!! And great choice on the skimmer - I am looking to replace my sca-302 with the curve 5 too !!!

Thanks, and I really do like this skimmer - I am sure you will too... :)

The Aqua Macro stuff seems to be big in asia and their nano line looks pretty good, they offer a hang on calcium reactor, skimmer and media reactor all with the same footprint and from what I have read the pumps seem pretty reliable. If it's no good I'll be onto my fourth skimmer haha. I wanted a Tunze 9002 so badly but the $300AUD price tag for a new one almost made me cry :(.

Well, I hope this latest skimmer does it for you then!

Too bad about the Tunze 9002 cost - I have 2 just sitting here too, and if it did not cost so much to ship one halfway around the world I would send you one of mine... ;)

Well, I hope this latest skimmer does it for you then!

Too bad about the Tunze 9002 cost - I have 2 just sitting here too, and if it did not cost so much to ship one halfway around the world I would send you one of mine... ;)

Well I have had some issues with the skimmer. It's a pain to prime and there was a small leak on the inlet. I covered the leak with some polly cement plastic glue to fuze it shut and hopefully that fixes the problem. I assume your spare 9002's are 110v only as well, otherwise I'd hit you up for a postage quote :D.

Well I have had some issues with the skimmer. It's a pain to prime and there was a small leak on the inlet. I covered the leak with some polly cement plastic glue to fuze it shut and hopefully that fixes the problem. I assume your spare 9002's are 110v only as well, otherwise I'd hit you up for a postage quote :D.

Sorry to hear that you still are having skimmer issues - I hope your leak is fixed... :( I would not want to have to fix a new skimmer! :angry:

As for the 9002's - yes, they are set-up for this country's electrical supply...sorry... :wacko:

Really is too bad you cannot find something in the Bubble Magus line to fit...

Sorry to hear that you still are having skimmer issues - I hope your leak is fixed... :( I would not want to have to fix a new skimmer! :angry:

As for the 9002's - yes, they are set-up for this country's electrical supply...sorry... :wacko:

Really is too bad you cannot find something in the Bubble Magus line to fit...

Damn, oh well, thanks for checking. I'm sure this will work well enough for my needs. I fixed the leak and it worked fine when i tested it. Now I need to make room in my sump for it. When I upgrade to a bigger tank I'll get a nice Bubble Magus or Reef Octopus skimmer.

Tank(s) are looking great Zoo. That new skimmer is sexy for sure, can't believe the gunk it pulled so quick!

About these extra 9002's :) I am close by, I'm curious to try one out. I'll pay ya! PM me if you want to get rid of one.

Tank(s) are looking great Zoo. That new skimmer is sexy for sure, can't believe the gunk it pulled so quick!

About these extra 9002's :) I am close by, I'm curious to try one out. I'll pay ya! PM me if you want to get rid of one.

Thanks Shane, I will PM you - maybe you can pick one up when you come to photograph the tanks! ;)

Damn, oh well, thanks for checking. I'm sure this will work well enough for my needs. I fixed the leak and it worked fine when i tested it. Now I need to make room in my sump for it. When I upgrade to a bigger tank I'll get a nice Bubble Magus or Reef Octopus skimmer.

No problem - I hope the latest skimmer continues to work for you.

I am changing my sump configuration for my 20L and 29g (have to cut out and move the glass partitions) just so I can run the Curve 5 in them! :)

Couple of pics of the ADA 45f, and of my view from my desk in my home office (shades drawn as the morning light is quite bright)...

temporary-65.jpg

temporary-66.jpg

temporary-67.jpg

The 40B sits behind me, and these are off to my right....

Well, the thread is still not getting much love :tears: , but I will keep updating anyways... :happydance:

Got a new resident - tailspot blenny - could not pass him up as he is the biggest I had ever seen locally and he is fat and bold!

Lights just came on for the late morning "sun-up"...

temporary-70.jpg

Orange-spotted goby is not impressed... <_<

temporary-69.jpg

Pic with the halide on... B)

temporary-71.jpg

The one GBTA that did not split (of course still facing the rear of the tank :angry: ) and the Grube's gorgonian...

temporary-68.jpg

FishBrawler

Its all coming together nicely! I love the new addition. I want one or a midas blenny but yours makes me want a tailspot lol!

Archived