Innovative Marine Aquariums

Surfer D's 5.5g 'I'm topless!'

lnglostsurfer

lnglostsurfer

Hm...I planned on building my own stand so I could enclose the sump but I will definitely keep you posted.

So my blue sting of LEDs in the tank went out again...I think these stupid drivers are just really cheap and shifty. Oh well, I think I'm going to take one of the par bulbs and hang it over the tank. I'm just worried about it being too much light...but at least they will be more dependable than my "custom build" LED.

My only problem is how white they are, there's almost no blue to them at all. I think the ratio is like 6 whites and 5 blues. I might try to look into the reflow soldering technique to try to change out the individual diodes.

But the good news is I'll be able to take this tank back to it's topless look!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lnglostsurfer

I've gone topless!!!!!

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131031_122217_412.jpg.html'>IMG_20131031_122217_412.jpg

Overall the par38 isn't as bad of coloring as I expected it to be. And the light spill is a bit much but at the same time I'm sitting here at my computer desk right next to it and it isn't blinding....helps with a little tighter optics. I'm hoping it won't burn my tank with light too much, it's hanging a good 18" off the water level (I'll actually measure that in a bit.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131031_122230_131.jpg.html'>IMG_20131031_122230_131.jpg

I'll have to erase my water fill line lol....the hood used to cover that up.

Does anyone know of a dimmer built into an electrical outlet? I can't wire one into the wall on the light switch because it doesn't connect to anything and I want it to all be on my GFCI surge protector. I guess kind of a manual in-line type dimmer if it exists. Just in case this thing is too bright. I have another 6" worth of cord that I could bring it up but we'll see.

I'm really really happy the way this thing looks. It's so much cleaner, especially once I take care of some cord management.

lnglostsurfer

I'm really starting to like the clean look of a rimless tank without the back painted black. Just looks super clean if there's no equipment or anything in the way. May do my next build like that

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, I actually did some measuring to see what the biggest filter I could put into it was because I didn't want to have an extra power head if I didn't need it. It barely slides in lengthwise in the end of the tank, plus it hides my heater and thermometer perfectly so it has a super clean look. I actually had to cut the rim off for the filter to fit. For some reason I think I had to mod the intake tube to make it a little shorter, can't remember right off. I do still wish I had a little more flow though but that can be resolved.

The bad part is....I forgot how much evaporation I get now! Holy crap I'm topping off about a quart a day, seems ridiculous for a tank this small, I might have to make a plexi top for it or something. I think I have some scrap laying around.

Plus I think tomorrow is going to be a water change day (also feeding day)

I have both plexiglass and the 1/4 acrylic leftover from today when I bought some to make a divider for my 20g. It should certainly fit your tank if you want to come by Sun or something and take a look. You can also see my new rock and I should have the WP-25 in there by then. in 1/4 I have an 8x12 and 18x12- just space some drilled holes in it for some gas exchange. I only needed a piece 10 x 12 for what I had to do.

lnglostsurfer

I do have the acrlylic I can use but I'd still love to come see the tank (and esp that wp-25). Not sure when I'll have to be to work on Sunday though....been 6-7 day work weeks for me lately so very little free time. Possibly sunday morning before noon.

I still can't get over how awesome that rock is that you got. O

Oh and Annette, an idea for the divided mantis tank to keep from running two totally different sides. Put a pump in one side and pump to the other side...either cut teeth or something in the wall so that it flows back into the other side. That way it's totally separate for the Mantis but will share the same water and you won't have to treat it as two separate tanks maintenance wise.

Guess I could have posted that in your thread haha

I do have the acrlylic I can use but I'd still love to come see the tank (and esp that wp-25). Not sure when I'll have to be to work on Sunday though....been 6-7 day work weeks for me lately so very little free time. Possibly sunday morning before noon.

I still can't get over how awesome that rock is that you got. O

Oh and Annette, an idea for the divided mantis tank to keep from running two totally different sides. Put a pump in one side and pump to the other side...either cut teeth or something in the wall so that it flows back into the other side. That way it's totally separate for the Mantis but will share the same water and you won't have to treat it as two separate tanks maintenance wise.

Guess I could have posted that in your thread haha

Yeah, I wanted to do it separate because if one side gets sick or something, the water won't impact the other. You can come by tomorrow evening for a quick stop. I'm going to Lowes right after work but I should be home by 7:15 if that works better.

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, I wanted to do it separate because if one side gets sick or something, the water won't impact the other. You can come by tomorrow evening for a quick stop. I'm going to Lowes right after work but I should be home by 7:15 if that works better.

Yeah, this time of year I don't really have evenings. I'm working today from about 1pm to midnight. Leaf season is crazy for the hospitality industry in Asheville.

sorry if youve already answered this, but what kind of par38 is that? looks really nice with the set up!

The par38 was from a guy on ebay that was breaking down a large system with several of these lights. I can't remember the company he said he ordered them from but he had them custom ordered. Supposedly (according to him) it had royal blues, deep blues, deep violets, neutral whites, warm whites and the red. Unfortunately all it has is 5x blues, 6x whites, and one red. It's not a bad light at all and I may be able to upgrade it, but for now it's fine. I bought 3 of them for $35 each so I really can't complain.

Overall I'm really happy with the setup and it's time to finally go coral shopping again. And all of my corals are adjusting really well to the new light, I must have done really well with the height on the first try.

lnglostsurfer

Just ordered a few zoa's from Clayalaleona! Pretty excited, I've been eyeing some of her stuff for awhile every time I see her post stuff in the classifieds. Will definitely update when they get shipped/are in the tank. Should add some much needed color to my tank.

lnglostsurfer

Order I'm getting:

pink and gold palys

people eater morph (with speckles!)

everlasting gobstopper

agave

captain america paly

Can't wait!!!! Should be shipping them mid week so I can get them on thursday.

A little feeding time action.

IMG_20131103_100922_128.jpg

I counted 5 new heads underneath the skirt!!! Two of them already have the red and blue color forming, the other three are still weird amoeba looking things. And I actually got a decent looking picture again

is that the mushroom?

lnglostsurfer

is that the mushroom?

Nope, that's my blasto, the little mushroom guys are doing really good too. Everyone has adjusted to the light really well, I may lower it an inch or two as long as nothing ends up bleaching at all. Water change time!

lnglostsurfer

So I found a random clump of like 3 green zoas that were floating back behind the rock. Must have fallen off the frag of pink zoas that didn't make it. I thought these guys were gone too but I glued them down to the rock and already have to polyps opening. Woohoo! Kind of a nice surprise.

lnglostsurfer

Went hiking this morning over at Graveyard fields/ridge/falls. Was definitely a cool morning! I think it was about 42º out there when we showed up. Was a really amazing hike though and was cool because it was a lot different than any other parts of the mountains around here. Just thought I'd share some pictures I took.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131104_134820_516.jpg.html'>IMG_20131104_134820_516.jpg

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131104_134641_951.jpg.html'>IMG_20131104_134641_951.jpg

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131104_130148_676.jpg.html'>IMG_20131104_130148_676.jpg

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131104_141543_811.jpg.html'>IMG_20131104_141543_811.jpg

Lots of blueberries in the area past graveyard fields as well come season. Fun camping as well, past that. You're up high and when you wake up and see the sky w/ so many stars it's incredible, but maybe more incredible is that blanket cloud cover you wake up to, you feel like you could just walk out onto it, and above you? just sky.

lnglostsurfer

So I got in my order from Clayalaleona tonight. (showed up today and a friend accepted it and floated the bags in my tank until I got home). So far things look good, will have to wait a day or two to see when things open up to see what is healthy and what needs some attention. there was one bag that smelled funky but the rest seemed fine. Really impressed the way she packaged these things. Everything was TRIPLE bagged in addition to bubble wrap and foam and packing peanuts, etc. She really planned well for the shipment considering I was a CHEAP A$$ and opted for the USPS priority shipment. Awesome Job Clayalaleona!! If anything doesn't make it I'm sure it's my own stupid fault for some reason or another. (I'm blaming work at this point) I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow if anything opens up.

lnglostsurfer

So at this point it's hard to say but it looks like at least 4 out of 5 frags will make it. Just hard to tell what anything is yet because nothing has opened!

This is one of the best looking ones, hard to tell what it is though. Possibly the Agave? There's another polyp that fell off, I just stuck the little rock it was on into the sand. It looks pretty healthy too

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131108_121827_544.jpg.html'>IMG_20131108_121827_544.jpg

This one is a little funky but still seems like it should be able to recover

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131108_121759_101.jpg.html'>IMG_20131108_121759_101.jpg

And this one I'm not so sure of....the head looks kind of black coming out, unless it's the people eater morph and has a really dark skirt...

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131108_121745_555.jpg.html'>IMG_20131108_121745_555.jpg

I've never actually gotten Zoas shipped to me before so I don't know what kind of condition they are typically in when they arrive, I just know they can take a few days to open up usually (they take a few days even when I get them from the LFS)

• 2 weeks later...

Tank looks amazing!! What size/type of filter is that? I was thinking about setting up my 5.5g and wasn't going to put a filter on it but yours looks so clean, I just might have to steal that idea!

lnglostsurfer

The filter is an aqueon 30 put onto the end. It literally takes up the entire back of the tank without the rim on the 5.5. Wouldn't fit unless it was de-rimmed. Honestly a great little filter, fairly quiet and reliable. I want to say it turns over like 260 gph or something like that, so I don't even have another pump in there. I don't have any dead spots or anything. Not sure what other HOB filters would fit, I just try to get the biggest one I can. When I had my 10g up and running I had a HOB filter for a 55gallon across the back of it, again with no additional flow and everything worked out great for me. Super simple but I can still hide the heater and thermometer and stuff in the HOB and keep it out of the tank.

Archived