Coral Vue Hydros

Surfer D's 5.5g 'I'm topless!'

lnglostsurfer

lnglostsurfer

So I was feeding some phyto just now, and trying to get ready to take some pictures. while I'm heading back to the fridge I'm holding chocolate milk and the bottle of phyto...ALMOST just drank out of the bottle of phyto. I feel like that would have been about the worst tasting thing in the world.

Good news though, I'm trying to get some good pictures so hopefully I'll get something up shortly.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lnglostsurfer

Quick top-down

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140608_195403_498.jpg.html'>IMG_20140608_195403_498.jpg

My chalice is the shape of an ear....no joke!!

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140608_195327_555.jpg.html'>IMG_20140608_195327_555.jpg

Cyphastrea (? I think?) from flcandy

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140608_195200_447.jpg.html'>IMG_20140608_195200_447.jpg

My little zoa island. you can see the tiny (1/2") acro frag from flcandy

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140608_195111_281.jpg.html'>IMG_20140608_195111_281.jpg

Awesome mushroom from 1stimereefer (colors don't look right in the picture though)

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140525_193011_500-1.jpg.html'>IMG_20140525_193011_500-1.jpg

And I might have already posted that....not sure.

Anyways, these are all pictures with my phone, haven't had time to get the real camera out.

lnglostsurfer

It's a different size every day....depends on what I'm feeding that day and how bad the snails piss it off lol. Hopefully I have the same splitting qualities in it that you do!

lnglostsurfer

So I swung by my lfs to get some water and was chatting with the owner for awhile asking about some different foods and supplements and what she recomends and what her customers have had good luck with. She said she doesn't use it very much but the customers that she really trusts have really grown attached to the Aquavitro Fuel by Seachem. So I picked up a bottle figuring, what the heck, I'll try it out. Yesterday was my first dose and things are looking pretty good. Not any major changes but things are just open and healthy looking, so it didn't have any negative effect. I will keep dosing the recommended amount twice a week and report back with color/growth/health and see what happens. Pretty excited about this.

I have that too, use less than what it says and I only do it once a week because of algae growth. You get brown spots on the glass if you've done too much.

lnglostsurfer

I'll keep an eye on that. Haven't noticed anything yet, but since I haven't had fish my algae has pretty much diminished into nothing. Will be curious to see if this starts anything up. Just kind of hard to measure out the 1.2 mL that it says to use (since the smallest reading is for a 30 gallon tank and mine is 5.5). Either way I've seen nothing but good reviews online anyway so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

So, here is the newest money pit. I think it's the only thing that could have kept me from wanting to spend the money on a new tank:

IMG_20140514_101723_688.jpg

Fully street legal and registered, already running with all electronics working beautifully. Little body work and a quick paint job and this thing will be a blast! Already been driving it around the mountains up by the in-laws place in Franklin. Can't wait to get it registered and on the road! Heading that way tomorrow to do a bit of work on it.

Not sure if this is your first bug or not, but check the floor pan under the battery REALLY GOOD. I have seen them completely fall out of the car while going down the road. If the previous owner was willing to cut off the nose , and use plywood, I doubt the pans were a high priority.

Get a eye dropper, baby dropper, or pipette from the hospital & just put several drops. That's what I did for my Evolve8

lnglostsurfer

Not sure if this is your first bug or not, but check the floor pan under the battery REALLY GOOD. I have seen them completely fall out of the car while going down the road. If the previous owner was willing to cut off the nose , and use plywood, I doubt the pans were a high priority.

Yes first bug, but I've checked everything. (only $500 bucks so not a bad deal at all for a registered, driveable bug). The floorpans definitely have some rust but the guy before me took 3/16" sheet metal and riveted over the entire bottom. Inside is a bit rough but overall the body is really solid. Pretty much just built in an entire skid plate over the bottom of the bug. I guess he wrecked the front end of it doing some woods riding and didn't have any money at the time so it was about his only option. Works for now but I've already found a few fiberglass baja kits that would eliminate that issue. The engine is a 1.6 single port but runs absolutely beautifully with no leaks or anything. My father in law has a 1835cc with some perfomance jugs/heads and dual weber carbs sitting on a shelf but it's pretty much completely dissassembled so I'm not sure if I will try to rebuild it or just stick with the 40hp powerplant that's in it. I know it'll be super reliable for running around town. This will probably end up being my daily driver so long as I don't have any issues with it.

I really like the look of your tank. Especially the black sand, looks sharp. beautiful :)

Thanks for the compliments. The tank has definitely gone through a lot of changes but it's getting to where I want it (after over a year!). We'll see how long this lasts but hopefully I'll get to upgrade soon so long as the lady lets me. looking at 20L-ish type tank.

Yes first bug, but I've checked everything. (only $500 bucks so not a bad deal at all for a registered, driveable bug). The floorpans definitely have some rust but the guy before me took 3/16" sheet metal and riveted over the entire bottom. Inside is a bit rough but overall the body is really solid. Pretty much just built in an entire skid plate over the bottom of the bug. I guess he wrecked the front end of it doing some woods riding and didn't have any money at the time so it was about his only option. Works for now but I've already found a few fiberglass baja kits that would eliminate that issue. The engine is a 1.6 single port but runs absolutely beautifully with no leaks or anything. My father in law has a 1835cc with some perfomance jugs/heads and dual weber carbs sitting on a shelf but it's pretty much completely dissassembled so I'm not sure if I will try to rebuild it or just stick with the 40hp powerplant that's in it. I know it'll be super reliable for running around town. This will probably end up being my daily driver so long as I don't have any issues with it.

Oh wow, a non leaking single port is a rare find . LOL

I've had 6 of them , so hit me up if you have any questions. And get the 1835 in there ASAP !!!

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, we'll see. Totally reliable 1600 that runs smooth as silk or completely rebuilding the 1835 and not even knowing what parts are there.....kind of a tough decision to be honest. The only thing I have to do before I start driving it is replace the shifter bushing and install some seat belts (which I already have both). Transaxle won't stay in reverse unless I hold it there. Other than that all the electrics work and I've already adjusted all the drum brakes and checked all of the other things that could cause issues. The only thing is that there was a repair done to the front suspension beam that seams to have been done well but I still don't know about so I might invest in a new beam. And I've found a few with lengthened shock towers to run some longer travel shocks that I'm looking into.

Good to know I've got someone on here that knows their aircooled bugs....I'll definitely keep in touch with you.

Archived