Cultivated Reef

Surfer D's 5.5g 'I'm topless!'

lnglostsurfer

Well hey stranger! Are you home today? Glad to hear your tank is doing well. I'm home since yesterday because I took time off for my b-day yesterday. My 34 is doing really well and I'm staying home and putting, finally, my LifeReef overflow and fuge. Question, I'm putting fitting together the pump and the output tubing. Put the ball valve and then the adapter so the tubing will fit. They gave me plumber's tape---am I supposed to put that everywhere there's a screw in thread? that part is underwater so I wouldn't believe it to be necessary. I've been dreading doing this even though it's probably not a big deal, I'm just not knowledgeable in this stuff. Do you know??? There's going to be a lot of pressure w/ this pump so a little leak I don't believe is going to matter. It's a mag 7.

005_zps2b92dcd6.jpg

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lnglostsurfer
lnglostsurfer

Played around with the DSLR a bit....definitely not a natural when it comes to photography but you should be able to get a feel for how the tank is coming along. The more I play with settings and stuff on the camera the more I will update the pictures.

Annette, Glad your tank is doing so awesome! Sorry I haven't been following along much, but it's good that you are getting that sump going. As for the tape, I would just tape everything, the slightest leak in anything and you're going to lose a lot of pressure once it makes it all the way up to your tank. what may be a couple GPH at the base may end up being quite a bit after the pressure loss from gravity.

Shawn said she had an extra used 30 breeder that she would sell me for $30....I may end up taking her up on that offer. Waiting to see what happens with a job that I'm applying for with the hospital. Going to be a great opportunity so we will see what happens.

Played around with the DSLR a bit....definitely not a natural when it comes to photography but you should be able to get a feel for how the tank is coming along. The more I play with settings and stuff on the camera the more I will update the pictures.

Annette, Glad your tank is doing so awesome! Sorry I haven't been following along much, but it's good that you are getting that sump going. As for the tape, I would just tape everything, the slightest leak in anything and you're going to lose a lot of pressure once it makes it all the way up to your tank. what may be a couple GPH at the base may end up being quite a bit after the pressure loss from gravity.

Shawn said she had an extra used 30 breeder that she would sell me for $30....I may end up taking her up on that offer. Waiting to see what happens with a job that I'm applying for with the hospital. Going to be a great opportunity so we will see what happens.

Pressurewise I'll be alright. I was at Shawns & told her I had a mag 7 and she thinks I'll burn the motor out, I don't know, that's what LifeReef recommended so I'm going w/ it. I turned it down to less than half before I even get it started and I'll close it more if I have to. I was at Shawn's today actually getting a little rock for my fuge. And got a pack of cyclopeeze/mysis from her too. She has a nice big low tank starting up over there today, didn't know if you'd seen it- in the back room, like 90 gallons maybe, she said she'd gonna shake things up there w/ that- I'm hoping it's nothing but a frag tank, a nice clean, frag tank w/ proper lights, blue would be good so everything doesn't look brown.

Your tank is looking really good. Love 6lines of course.

Wow, that would be really good at the hospital, shorter drive too. Hope that works out for you. And the tank?, yeah, go for it, soooo cheap. Previously it was about the expense, well, expense is low for the tank.

lnglostsurfer

I'm still kind of having fun with the small tank. The major expense would be corals to fill the bad boy up. And I'm really happy with how my tank is coming along.

But yeah, Shawn has a lot of really awesome things she's starting to do, I've been talking to her about it for awhile now. She bought out a fish store like 45 minutes away that closed down...all the equipment and everything. She's going to have one of those big divided wall tanks like petco with 12-16 different sections just for inverts, the frag tank that you saw, plus a lot of other changes too. She said it's going to start going really quick too, it was just a matter of getting everything together.

I'm still kind of having fun with the small tank. The major expense would be corals to fill the bad boy up. And I'm really happy with how my tank is coming along.

But yeah, Shawn has a lot of really awesome things she's starting to do, I've been talking to her about it for awhile now. She bought out a fish store like 45 minutes away that closed down...all the equipment and everything. She's going to have one of those big divided wall tanks like petco with 12-16 different sections just for inverts, the frag tank that you saw, plus a lot of other changes too. She said it's going to start going really quick too, it was just a matter of getting everything together.

Cool, if she can pull it off, that's what she needs to do. I hope it all works. If you do decide on a bigger one I have an AC70 which is a powerful beast, I don't need it in my fuge. I also have an RO/DI unit if you need a couple gallons of top off water.

You guys are gonna have to come by and see my tank sometime.

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, for sure. Still have a lot going, trying to get caught up on everything after the crazy season that we've had. Half of our staff was gone for the holidays just about, which left me working about 70+ hours from thanksgiving to new years. So many things at the house we are trying to do and get caught up on. Almost have all of the leaves up!! Haha.

Another big part of it is just trying to catch up with people who we haven't seen hardly at all lately either. why can't there just be like 9 days in a week....so much easier.

Yeah, for sure. Still have a lot going, trying to get caught up on everything after the crazy season that we've had. Half of our staff was gone for the holidays just about, which left me working about 70+ hours from thanksgiving to new years. So many things at the house we are trying to do and get caught up on. Almost have all of the leaves up!! Haha.

Another big part of it is just trying to catch up with people who we haven't seen hardly at all lately either. why can't there just be like 9 days in a week....so much easier.

And the day needs to be 30 hrs long so you can get that needed sleep and still have a full day left on your days off.

Whoa! That's an excellent pic. I don't know how you did that but keep 'em coming and then come to my house & show me! ;) That's one of the best I've seen of a chalice. Very pretty one at that.

lnglostsurfer

Tried to get a few more close up pictures playing around this morning. I think my problem is not being steady enough, with the way the tank is on my desk it's hard to setup a tripod and after my morning coffee I get a bit shakey. Anyways, here was giving it a shot. I might get into the photography forum to get some tips and pointers at some point

Blasto:

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/blasto.jpg.html'>blasto.jpg

Hammer:

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/spawn.jpg.html'>spawn.jpg

Shroomies (this pic was originally pretty washed out....tried to edit it back to what it looks like. Little bit more red in the picture but not too far off

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/shrooms.jpg.html'>shrooms.jpg

And some green star polyps with some monti polyp extension in front

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/gsp.jpg.html'>gsp.jpg

Tried to get a few more close up pictures playing around this morning. I think my problem is not being steady enough, with the way the tank is on my desk it's hard to setup a tripod and after my morning coffee I get a bit shakey. Anyways, here was giving it a shot. I might get into the photography forum to get some tips and pointers at some point

Blasto:

blasto.jpg

Hammer:

spawn.jpg

Shroomies (this pic was originally pretty washed out....tried to edit it back to what it looks like. Little bit more red in the picture but not too far off

shrooms.jpg

And some green star polyps with some monti polyp extension in front

gsp.jpg

Ok, well, you can give me lessons then, I'm great outside! but indoors, yeah, not as much. I do see though that pics through acrylic are really clear, I couldn't get as clear w/ the glass 34 until I put my camera lens IN the water.

lnglostsurfer

I'm by no means "good" at this yet, going to mess with the settings a little more instead of using automatic settings within the camera. Play with aperture and white balance. And actually try to get a tripod setup. Just have to do it quick so the lady doesn't start yelling at me for using her christmas present...haha

I can't even get that on auto setting w/ my Nikon D80. Of course my camera is probably considered outdated now since I got it in 2007. But...if it ain't broke....don't waste money on another.

lnglostsurfer

Tried to get a picture of Fret

bee0bf90-6cd7-42c4-ac53-cba33d0752d2.jpg

The exposure was way too short so the picture was dark but it's hard to lengthen the exposure and get a clear picture because of how quick he is. Will definitely need some practice on him. Tried to lighten up the photo a bit. Also was shooting in RAW format and it was a bit harder getting the settings right. But the colors are much more true to life.

Overall still not getting anywhere near the pictures I want but I think I am getting closer each time I mess around with it. I just need more than 10 minutes at a time to play with it.

lnglostsurfer

Ok....so in messing around with the camera more I have even more pictures. I was able to get the tripod setup and get things clean and turn the pumps off and really ended up with much better pictures. My only issue now is that they have somewhat of a purple hue to them. Anyone know what I need to do? Maybe adjust white balance? Still figuring this camera out so any suggestions would be appreciated. The only editing I did was cropping these pictures and adjusting a few shadows/brightness settings. Colors are all what they show in pictures.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/Hammer.jpg.html'>Hammer.jpg

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/Blasto2.jpg.html'>Blasto2.jpg

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/PPE.jpg.html'>PPE.jpg

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/Shroomies.jpg.html'>Shroomies.jpg

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/GSP2.jpg.html'>GSP2.jpg

If you have a grey mat you can put it under the tank so that the extra spillage of lights gets on it. Then take a picture of the grey matt and use that as your reference in your custom white balance. Or shoot in raw and then fix the white balance in photoshop or any other photo correction program :)

lnglostsurfer

Hey, that's a great idea. Hadn't thought about that before. I do shoot in raw format and it helps but my par bulb is a little more on the white side and there's one red led that I think is throwing off the color and making it look purple.

On a side note we just adopted a new puppy! She is a pure Australian shepherd and gorgeous. I will have to get pictures up soon. Definitely a little terror but my old Aussie was the same way. Just have to keep them entertained. Also meeting up with FlCandy tomorrow and maybe buying a frag or two from her, we'll see what happens. Water change today too.

Hey, that's a great idea. Hadn't thought about that before. I do shoot in raw format and it helps but my par bulb is a little more on the white side and there's one red led that I think is throwing off the color and making it look purple.

On a side note we just adopted a new puppy! She is a pure Australian shepherd and gorgeous. I will have to get pictures up soon. Definitely a little terror but my old Aussie was the same way. Just have to keep them entertained. Also meeting up with FlCandy tomorrow and maybe buying a frag or two from her, we'll see what happens. Water change today too.

Put a piece of tape over the red one and then shoot. Yeah, Uh, puppy? I've never seen an aussie puppy before.

lnglostsurfer

Put a piece of tape over the red one and then shoot. Yeah, Uh, puppy? I've never seen an aussie puppy before.

That's actually a great idea, didn't even think about that. On my tablet right now, pics of the puppy are on the desktop. I'll have to try to get them up tomorrow. So happy to be able to have an Aussie back, I missed my boy so much. Just weird now because this is one of the only girl pets I think I've ever had aside from a cat when I was a small kid and my tortoise.

I've previously covered up one just to see what impact it had. Any one of the lights covered I found to be a major impact in how they all work together. I think I covered up magenta or something.

lnglostsurfer

1487364_10202860695348022_1250441284_n.j

This is our new girl that we brought home 2 days ago, her name is Lani, which means sky in hawaiian. (our other boy is Kai, which means ocean in hawaiian).

lnglostsurfer

Also just stopped by FlCandy's place to get a few frags....pictures to come but things are already opening up and looking amazing! And they've only been in the tank a few minutes. Two different zoas and an Acro frag.....really excited about these.

Also just stopped by FlCandy's place to get a few frags....pictures to come but things are already opening up and looking amazing! And they've only been in the tank a few minutes. Two different zoas and an Acro frag.....really excited about these.

Lani's eyes are frosty blue gorgeous!!

I love FlCandy's tank.

Tank and pictures look fantastic! I love that dog, too :) I'm heading to your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks to meet up with my in-laws. Any recommendations on places to go (for food/beer)?

Archived