ReefCleaners.org

Surfer D's 5.5g 'I'm topless!'

lnglostsurfer

lnglostsurfer

Lani's eyes are frosty blue gorgeous!!

I love FlCandy's tank.

Yeah, her tank was gorgeous, even with the little bit of algae. Its amazing how much color she has with all of her corals, I can't wait to have that much color. And yeah, the puppy is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. The picture I posted is one that my fiancé took, looks like its out of a calendar or something.

Tank and pictures look fantastic! I love that dog, too :) I'm heading to your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks to meet up with my in-laws. Any recommendations on places to go (for food/beer)?

Awesome that you'll be heading this way, so hard to recommend places as there's just so many. Depends a lot on the types of food you drink. Most bars have tons of local brews on tap, hard to go wrong. You'll probably get made fun of by any bartender if you ask for a bud light haha. Beir Garden definitely has one of the best selections, like 30+on tap and another 100 or so different bottles. Wicked weed is another brewery that's fairly new in town. Lots of great food there plus a downstairs 'tap room' that's a pretty cool place to hang out with some specialty brews they don't have anywhere else. Like I said, all depends on what you are looking for. Oh and if you can, try to catch one of the many food trucks for lunch at some point, they are all pretty incredible

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mellow Mushroom has lots of beer on tap. They have a pizza called Kosmic Karma that has both red sauce and splotches of pesto on it too, it's amazing.

One of the best beers from these parts is French Broad's Wee Heavier, if you love a high gravity beer.....like I do.

Yeah, her tank was gorgeous, even with the little bit of algae. Its amazing how much color she has with all of her corals, I can't wait to have that much color. And yeah, the puppy is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. The picture I posted is one that my fiancé took, looks like its out of a calendar or something.

Awesome that you'll be heading this way, so hard to recommend places as there's just so many. Depends a lot on the types of food you drink. Most bars have tons of local brews on tap, hard to go wrong. You'll probably get made fun of by any bartender if you ask for a bud light haha. Beir Garden definitely has one of the best selections, like 30+on tap and another 100 or so different bottles. Wicked weed is another brewery that's fairly new in town. Lots of great food there plus a downstairs 'tap room' that's a pretty cool place to hang out with some specialty brews they don't have anywhere else. Like I said, all depends on what you are looking for. Oh and if you can, try to catch one of the many food trucks for lunch at some point, they are all pretty incredible

Awesome! I've been a couple of times - last time was for a concert and we actually went to Wicked Weed. Cool place! I'll check out the food trucks, too. My wife and I LOVE food trucks, and her folks are foodies, too. I guess we'll have to see what we feel like doing as we get there. Any good LFS in the area? I may need to stop in on my way back here...

Mellow Mushroom has lots of beer on tap. They have a pizza called Kosmic Karma that has both red sauce and splotches of pesto on it too, it's amazing.

One of the best beers from these parts is French Broad's Wee Heavier, if you love a high gravity beer.....like I do.

I'm a big fan of Mellow Mushroom :D I'll check out Wee Heavier - thanks for the recommendation!

lnglostsurfer

Wee heavier is a great scotch ale, (I like the higher gravity too, think it comes in around 8%) Highlands Gaelic Ale is another good one if you like scotch ales. I really like a lot of the local porters and stouts, pisgah has a great porter, as well as green man brewery. It's all in what you drink but there is definitely something for everyone.

Also, as much as I absolutely love mellow mushroom (and how well it fits perfectly into asheville) it's not actually a local place, pretty decent sized chains thats in a lot of college towns and major cities, if that really matters much to you.

If you are looking for tapas I would definitely check out zambra or curate, both a little nicer places but well worth it (I personally love the atmosphere of zambra). If you're looking for something a little more on the ethnic side of things there's a great himalayan place (mostly indian type food) that does a small but excellent buffet on sunday mornings for $9. Chai pani is another great indian place. You can also get a really great burger at a newer place called Farm Burger (I heard this may also be a chain with a few other restaurants? Not sure yet). Or just a really good southern style meal definitely check out Tupelo Honey or Mayfels.

Pretty much everything I've been mentioning is downtown, I don't know where you'll be staying so I figured it would be something fairly centralized. Definitely let me know if there's anything else you wanted! Haha, I get a little excited when it comes to food and beer....

Edit: About the only LFS worth checking out is Shawn over at Mountains to Sea Aquariums. Her store looks a little rough but she is in the middle of a lot of huge changes and the lady is super knowledgeable and all of her corals look phenomenal. Mostly an LPS kind of lady but has some other stuff though. She used to have a tank with about 15 clams but she got rid of them sadly enough...

I agree with Shawn's place. All the others are mostly fish only or are just not worth it.

Thanks man yeah I have the HA but it seems to die off a little more each day. We will see what happens when the lights come and we change it from T5HO to LED I bet it just melts away!

Glad the fraggies look good and are happy for you. I was just glad the zoas were all open for you to see them as I had just cut them the day before, I fragged out a bunch more today as well. Mostly the same stuff and a few others including the Poci.

I will let you know when the Ochtode is ready, I have to send some Albert's way first then you have first dibs. ;)

lnglostsurfer

Alright, finally got around to getting some pictures. Just took a few quick ones, didn't bother with the tripod or turning pumps off but should still give you an idea of everything. Only thing I did with the pictures was crop them, no other editing. They are a bit out of focus...the lens with more zoom doesn't have the auto-stabilizer for when I'm not using the tripod.

The purple zoas, lavender/pink centers/green skirts

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/lavenderzoa.jpg.html'>lavenderzoa.jpg

Bright orange zoas, with yellow middles, lavender mouth and lavender skirt

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/orangezoa.jpg.html'>orangezoa.jpg

The Scripps Acro, getting great polyp extension already

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/Acro.jpg.html'>Acro.jpg

And a shot of my Montipora (supposed to be Capernicus? Not really sure though) Crazy growth and polyp extension but the color isn't super green like it's supposed to be. A little pale.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/Monti.jpg.html'>Monti.jpg

Oh and covering up the red LED in my par38 bulb has really helped with the purple tint in all of the pictures. Just wish I would have taken the time to take some decent pictures....not my best work.

Hey, even w/o a tripod your skills are awesome. I'm too lazy to take out the tripod myself. I'm happy that covering up the red worked. They are very excellent, give yourself credit. Nice color palate on those corals.

And how's that uber exciteable loveable puppy? How's she w/ your other dog? She trying to herd everyone yet? I forgot, did you say you had a fence? I couldn't recall.

lnglostsurfer

Puppy is doing amazing! I can't believe how quick she is picking up on training. Already potty trained, knows her name, knows "NO", starting to work with commands like sit and lay (not going real great though yet). She does really well with our other dog. Or rather he does really well with her. They just like being super close to each other all the time, which is exactly what we wanted. She also plays with the cat constantly too, big triangle of playfulness haha. So far she hasn't really herded anything yet, my old Aussie, Hurley, used to herd all of the dogs at the dog park to one corner. One day he had like 15 dogs in the corner just sitting there staring at them. Really funny to watch. And yes, we have a fence but for now we are always outside with her keeping a close eye on her. Definitely going to have some chewing habits to break but we are already working on that too. Just looking forward to the day that she becomes a bit more independent and I have time to myself again.

that is hilarious- herding dogs at the dog park- love it. I could imagine the owners looking at you like, Dude? Like your dog is messin' with everybody.

lnglostsurfer

Greatn pictures! Keep them coming!

Thanks man! I will have to actually play around with the tripod and cut the pumps off, see what I can get. It's been a lot of fun messing around with photography, I really have never had anything to do with it before. The biggest thing is just learning what all the settings even are and what they do. Then it's a matter of finding the correct adjustments and making everything work together. Oh and having a steady hand after my pot of coffee each morning....that's the biggest challenge for me haha.

I'm kind of excited, we are getting a nice steady snow all day and it's my day off. Already have a fire in the fireplace and just hanging out relaxing. Yardwork is put on hold but I think I can manage :happy:

lnglostsurfer

So I totally can't remember what FlCandy said these two zoas were, the purple ones I feel like I've seen before but the flourescent orange ones are something totally unique to me. Does anyone know the names on these? Not something that's super important to me, was just curious. Chime in if you remember FlCandy, though I know it's hard for you to remember with how many different types you have in your tank.

lavenderzoa.jpg

orangezoa.jpg

Are those the flourescent melon/orange w/ the navy purple in the middle? I know one set she got at like a frag swap or something she said yrs back. I don't know the names either.

these?

062_zpsbbe4fa15.jpg

are the other ones these? the purple w/ the pink middles at the bottom? Looks like those Aquascaper ones.

081_zps227b0392.jpg

lnglostsurfer

Are those the flourescent melon/orange w/ the navy purple in the middle? I know one set she got at like a frag swap or something she said yrs back. I don't know the names either.

these?

062_zpsbbe4fa15.jpg

are the other ones these? the purple w/ the pink middles at the bottom? Looks like those Aquascaper ones.

081_zps227b0392.jpg

Top picture isn't quite the right ones but the bottom ones look really close to what I have. I'm sure she knows if I just ask her. Hey, Annette, what's the powder food from Albert that you're using for corals? I heard Randi talking about that stuff too, was curious as to what it was and where to get it.

Nice tank! Pics are fantastic! Fret is an excellent name btw.

Thanks man, pictures are slowly getting to where I want them. And yeah, I was pretty happy with Fret haha. Ended up selling my guitar dirt cheap to a close friend so he could learn...I haven't played much in the past few years so I didn't think I would care. Definitely missing the guitar and playing. I'll have to stick to my keyboard for now.

Daphbio Nutrition. You buy it on Albert's site. He said for my 34 I'd use half a capsule each week so if you get it I'd think one capsule would last you a long time. Like you could use one of those little Salifert Red spoons in a test kit and put one leveled scoop in.

lnglostsurfer

Hey thanks! I've been wanting to start using some type of phyto product in addition to the frozen gunk I'm using now. Its an omnivore fish food that I spot feed corals with. Seems to work alright for the blasto and hammer but that's about it.

lnglostsurfer

So I got a koralia nano 240 from BattleAthletics. Not sure exactly on my final placement but it definitely adds some much needed flow to the tank, especially with the SPS frags in here now. Love being able to see the little polyps flutter in the current. It's just tough to find a good place for it since my HOB filter takes up the entire back. Right now it's under the HOB pointing in the same direction. It works but I need to reposition some things. Who knows, I'll figure something out. Also swung by my LFS to see what she had for coral food. As of now she didn't really have anything that she said to bother spending my money on but she should be getting some "reef roids" back in with her next shipment that she seemed really fond of. I think I've heard some people mention it before but don't know much about it.

Anyone out there have first hand experience with reef roids?

So I got a koralia nano 240 from BattleAthletics. Not sure exactly on my final placement but it definitely adds some much needed flow to the tank, especially with the SPS frags in here now. Love being able to see the little polyps flutter in the current. It's just tough to find a good place for it since my HOB filter takes up the entire back. Right now it's under the HOB pointing in the same direction. It works but I need to reposition some things. Who knows, I'll figure something out. Also swung by my LFS to see what she had for coral food. As of now she didn't really have anything that she said to bother spending my money on but she should be getting some "reef roids" back in with her next shipment that she seemed really fond of. I think I've heard some people mention it before but don't know much about it.

Anyone out there have first hand experience with reef roids?

I use RR with Kent Accel...corals going bananas. Multiple polyps per frag per month.

lnglostsurfer

Well I use the instant ocean accel right now. I'm having really good growth but my colors just aren't quite where I want them to be on some corals. She said she's had acans almost completely change colors after feeding reef-roids. The other one I may try is the powder from Albert Theil, Daphbio. Been hearing a lot of good things about that too

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
lnglostsurfer

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know I'm still alive! Things have been a bit crazy lately, between work, changing jobs, planning my wedding, heading to a friends wedding next week, and losing my grandmother in the middle of all of it. After I get back from my friends wedding next monday, I'll be starting my new job as Sous Chef at Mission Hospital which will really free up a lot of time and stress. Working four 10 hour days a week will be glorious compared to my six 10 hour days....

As for the tank, I lost my fish last week. He hadn't been eating for awhile now. or has tried eating and would just spit it back out. Tried different foods, garlic based and everything. He just started getting skinnier and skinnier and didn't seem like much I could do. His colors were still bright and he didn't have any signs of ich so I'm not sure what it was, maybe just stressed out from the smaller environment.

On the plus side, I'm kind of glad that I'm running a fishless system again, I was much happier with it in the past and I think I will be excited again. Just really hard to keep parameters stable with a fish in this small of a system, even with changing 50% every week. Tank is already looking clearer of algae and everything so once the paychecks start rolling in from the new job maybe I'll get a few more corals. Might try to get some new pictures of growth and such too. We'll see.

And Annette, the puppy is doing great! She's almost 5 months old now and really well behaved. really enjoying having her around, as does our other dog, he's in much better shape now.

Congrats on your job Dustin, sorry to hear about your fish but with what you said your system will maintain itself better without it. That means you'll have to get a rock flower anemone! Easy to take care of and beautiful. Yeah, our dogs are gonna have to meet some day. One day you can walk over w/your future wifey and dogs and you can meet my Hagen and my 34. I just found Hagen's papers, he'll be 6 on 4/26. And next time I'll walk over w/ my boy and check your tank out.

lnglostsurfer

Sounds like a plan! I've been doing a lot of running through the neighborhood since it's been getting nice out, haven't made it quite as far as your place yet but I've been exploring different roads. Only doing about 3 miles at a time for now but I'll get there. Have to get used to these hills! Will be nice to have all of the extra time. Hopefully get my yard in shape (finally) as well as get the old bike up and running. Lot of things going on once I get back from my trip to florida. May have to think about those rock flowers, never had one before. Only anemones I've ever had were aptasia!

Finally found what works for my aptasia but get them while they're small. Make a blob of kallwasser and water - they say paste but it falls apart too fast, and stick it on him. Kallwasser is base and he won't like it. It killed the ones I had. You're going to have a lot of catching up to do on my 34 thread. And my girls Gertie and Geneva are slowly growing. That thread had something chaotic happen. Geneva got stuck in the baffles of my 34. Don't even ask how she got there. You'll have to catch up.

Archived