Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Surfer D's 5.5g 'I'm topless!'

lnglostsurfer

I wasn't going to do a HOB overflow because I don't like the look on the back of the tank but I think yours looks great! It looks so clean on the side.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lnglostsurfer

Yeah, it works out great having it in the corner because it allows me to have a completely clean back and put the filter on the other wall. I'm becoming more of a fan of not painting a tank but if you're running a HOB filter you kind of need to. This tank is kind of the best of both worlds.

Hopefully I can get a couple good pictures of the agave polyp and the people eater morph that I got from Clayalaleona in a bit. Still coloring up a bit but looking super healthy.

lnglostsurfer

People eater morph...hard to get a good picture

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131119_104353_198.jpg.html'>IMG_20131119_104353_198.jpg

Agave:

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20131119_104339_527.jpg.html'>IMG_20131119_104339_527.jpg

Really starting to color up and start to flouresce. I wish more of the frags would have survived but oh well...really happy with the ones that did.

lnglostsurfer

Hey tank looks great! I saw your post about a dimmer. Did you find one? Coral compulsion sells some that may work.

I actually didn't end up needing one so I kind of gave up (after not looking at all to begin with). To have the right coverage for my tank with the 90º optics I have to have it far enough above the tank that I don't need to dim it down. Kind of a perfect match. Everything seems to be responding really well so I won't try to fix something that isn't broken. I still wouldn't mind a bit bluer look, one of these days I might look into some reeflow soldering techniques to see if I could switch a white out for a UV diode or something to get a little more full spectrum/flourescent look. Again, haven't looked much into it but I'm sure I could pull it off. (heck, I have 3 of these cheap par38's to mess around with). And it doesn't look like I'll be getting a bigger tank anytime soon.

lnglostsurfer

So I'm noticing more and more amphipods and other pods that are just covering everything. Normally I don't mind as it's one more unique and interesting thing in the tank to keep me occupied....but they are starting to crawl on corals and piss them off. Not really sure what to do, I know 1stimereefer says her 6-line eats them like crazy, so I guess maybe a fish to help control the population. What about hermits or shrimp or other crabs? I would like something in the tank that moves around other than snails but I don't know if I really want a fish or not.

What do you guys recommend for something that will help control the pods?

I've never seen any of my 4 hermits eat amphipods. 6line- always on the prowl even when there aren't any- still looking in crevices. It's just what he does. Great pod vac.

lnglostsurfer

So I ended up with a 6-line, Shawn had one in one of her frag tanks. She said $10 because he's an A$$hole and I said sold...because he'll be the only fish in my tank so there won't be an issue. My 'fish' tank finally has fish! Pretty excited too because of all the fish I've ever kept (or attempted to keep) I have actually never had a wrasse. Super excited!

So I ended up with a 6-line, Shawn had one in one of her frag tanks. She said $10 because he's an A$$hole and I said sold...because he'll be the only fish in my tank so there won't be an issue. My 'fish' tank finally has fish! Pretty excited too because of all the fish I've ever kept (or attempted to keep) I have actually never had a wrasse. Super excited!

Wow, that's a great deal!

lnglostsurfer

Really enjoying this little guy. Swims in and out of the rockwork and has already been picking at pods. I was under the impression that wrasses were very shy and scared at first but this guy plopped into the tank after aclimation and instantly started to swim around. He's still getting used to me sitting at the desk next to the tank but he is coming around. Really impressed with this little guy, he's about an inch and a half long maybe so he's doing well for now.

I know 1stimereefer had hers in her evolve 8 and he was super happy, even with another tailspot as well and the display volume in those is what, 6.5 gallons maybe? Maybe more of a reason to upgrade to a bigger tank down the road, unfortunately it's not going to be before the end of the year like I was hoping. And the first few months of the year is a struggle financially through slow season....so we'll see.

I'll try to get a picture up once he doesn't freak out about my camera close to the glass

For me he acclimated very fast, mine was that size too when I got him, shorter than the tailspot for sure. Watch when you go to feed a blasto or something, he'll be right there ready to steal it. He's not afraid of my large tweezers the least bit. Just adore both of them. Oh hey, went to WNC Aquarium and Imports today. Check out the Dueling Mantis tank!

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, he's a really awesome fish. Although I still can't get over the fact that he crawls in a hole and looks dead every night to go to sleep....kind of weird from any other fish I've had.

So I think his name will be Fret. 6-line reminds me of a 6-string guitar...so Fret seemed fitting. It was either that or Gibson, Fender, Les Paul, Strat....you get the idea. But Fret stuck to me first.

lnglostsurfer

Gotta love working hospitality industry during the holidays. Fed over 6000 people at our resort today in total and worked from 7AM to 1130PM after only 5 hours of sleep from working until midnight last night. I'm pooped...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Yikes. Hopefully you'll be able to get some rest....Unfortunately I'm assuming that it won't happen until after Jan 1 with the Inn.

lnglostsurfer

Yikes. Hopefully you'll be able to get some rest....Unfortunately I'm assuming that it won't happen until after Jan 1 with the Inn.

Yeah, especially with opening this new restaurant concept. The 23 year, 4 diamond restaurant that's been a tradition of Grove Park is officially gone. We have been replaced with an "american brasserie" concept that is a bit more casual. We'll see how business goes. Definitely different after doing the fine dining thing for so long.

So I'm sitting at my computer and my 6-line wakes up from his sleeping spot. He's kind of swimming around frantically bouncing off the walls and rocks like he's blind. Is it just because I have the light on in here and he should be sleeping or is something else going on? Kind of weird to see him like this but I also haven't had the light on when I've been home for the past few days (since I've been working crazy hours). He's not breathing heavy or anything, nitrates and everything are still in check. Just kind of weird behavior I haven't seen yet.

lnglostsurfer

Yep he's swimming around perfectly normal this morning. Just never really seen a fish act like that before. Also never had a wrasse before...or a fish that wedges itself in a hole to sleep at night...

I've never found yet where mine sleeps in the 34 and in teh Evolve he was behind the rockwork so I couldn't see him then really either.

• 1 month later...
lnglostsurfer

Well, I'm finally back! Still need to get some updated pictures but even though I haven't been able to keep up with my thread with the busy holidays, my tank is still doing really well. Moved a few things around and got a pulsing xenia frag, a chalice frag, and something else that's still unidentified and struggling to stay alive (some montipora SPS I believe). I got my fiance a DSLR camera for xmas so hopefully I can play around with that if she lets me and get some new pictures of my tank. I'm really happy with the way this is coming along. Also had some zoas split and a few more heads on my blasto. Updates soon, I promise!!

Archived