Coral Vue Hydros

RealReefs' Evolve 8

RealReefs

Hey guys! I have been really busy lately, I'm sorry for not unloading anything for a couple weeks! But, I thought I would give youd guys a little update. Everything has been doing great, all of my corals look gorgeous with the aid of my new LEDTRiC PAR30! Everyone knows that when you think you have it all figured out something pops up again. I have been battling some green hair algae for the past week or week and a half. It is starting to spread so ,decided to visit a new LFS and pick up a few more hermits and a turbo. But, while I was there, they had Bangaii Cardinals for a steal, only $13.00! I couldn't resist and I picked up a small one in hopes of not having him in there too long because of my new 29 gallon being started soon. Thought I would give you guys a little update on how everything is doing! :D

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have enjoyed reading about your reef. This thread is what actually made me decide to pull the trigger and get a tank going! It is nice to see someone running it stock and being successful.

Oh thanks I would post more but, I just haven't had time! The tank looks really nice right now. It will be gone soon though because I am setting up my 29 right now. I just started the cycle, I should have a thread up soon on it! It means a lot that I could help you decide to jump into this wonderful hobby! :)

I'm not going to be able to afford a par anytime soon... was thinking about running the two Mini-PC 50/50's like you mentioned initially to improve lighting. Finances are going to be a struggle soon wit the holidays coming on and i'm not sure how much extra I will have for the reef beyond a coral or two to start (I want to start with those before adding fish). How did you have those mounted above the tank? I didn't see any pics of that part of your initial setup. I plan on going with the decorative shelf with a pendant for the Par30 or Par38 eventually, but that will be down the road.

It was really ugly! LOL But, I had the lid on the tank with stock LED still on it, and then I had a standard 10 gallon PC fixture just lying on top of the LED and the lid. Then, I just changed out the stock bulbs in that fixture with 50/50 bulbs from petsmart. It didn't look that bad. It actually worked really well until I realized I wasn't getting enough oxygen exchange at the surface. I then knew I had to take the lid off, add a bubbler, add more flow, and get a new light.

Did you add a different lid? Sigh, guess I'll probably end up having to bite the bullet and get some different lighting sooner rather than later. You still running without a lid? Not sure I want to go that route, but if there are issues with low oxygen exchange I'd rather correct those sooner rather than later. You running a fan? My tank jumped up to 82 today (has been sitting at 78) so I unplugged the heater. I think I need to get a new one already.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived