Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gramophone's Reeftrola

Gramophone

i have a solution for all that purple. scrape it into a bag when i get a few nest frags from you. i want purple in my tank

Haha. I most certainly can do that if you really want. I've given up scraping the sides :rolleyes:

Looking fantastic. Thanks for making the full size photos available on flickr ... too bad it's blocked at work. :(

I love the way the birdsnest continue to take over the top of the rocks.

Is that a Montipora undata on the back of the frag rack? it looks like it's on ORA rock.

Thank you, Mark! It's actually a green monti cap. It's browned out quite a bit, and now I don't have any room for it :( It's growing though!

jedimasterben

The tank would look very different without all the coralline on the walls! It may look stellar though. I say go for it! :D

Time to get an urchin to eat all that coralline, especially if it grows fast!

I really don't mind it. As long as I can see the front of the tank, I'm okay :)

The tank would look very different without all the coralline on the walls! It may look stellar though. I say go for it! :D

I can't reach my arms far enough to scrape the sides :(

jedimasterben

I can't reach my arms far enough to scrape the sides :(

Are your arms like a foot long? ;)

There are magnetic scrapers and you can get one on a little pole-majiggy. :)

• Like 1

I considered keeping the coralline on my back wall as well (a matter of preference), but after viewing all the great tanks on this forum, I decided to scrape it. I got myself this tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Maintenance-Algae-Scraper-Length/dp/B0006JM0K8

I've been scraping spots of coralline on my glass with the blade attachment, which works fairly well, but if the coralline is thick, you might be better off with a sharp razor blade.

I considered keeping the coralline on my back wall as well (a matter of preference), but after viewing all the great tanks on this forum, I decided to scrape it. I got myself this tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Maintenance-Algae-Scraper-Length/dp/B0006JM0K8

I've been scraping spots of coralline on my glass with the blade attachment, which works fairly well, but if the coralline is thick, you might be better off with a sharp razor blade.

Thanks for the tip, guys! I actually have one of those as well, but obviously never use it :P

I actually like the coralline. The purple is appealing to me :lol:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So my dead plate coral decided to spawn babies... 61 of them :eek::haha:

13991749294_55cfa974d8_z.jpg

Not the best picture, but these guys are tiny; I mean like a millimeter tiny. I'm so excited! omgomgomg

• Like 18

Not the best picture, but these guys are tiny; I mean like a millimeter tiny. I'm so excited! omgomgomg

Congrats!!!! That's so freaking awesome :D. How do you frag those? Or do they naturally release from the skeleton???? At least I know now if I ever lose my plates, to hang onto the skeletons :D.

Sometimes I'm tempted to buy what looks like a pretty sick plate coral from an LFS on the cheap so it will make tons of babies and I can trade them back in for store credit. Then I think that's probably a little unethical and I have to reel myself in.

• Like 1
Legendary Corals

That's freaking awesome!!!

• Like 1
Sometimes I'm tempted to buy what looks like a pretty sick plate coral from an LFS on the cheap so it will make tons of babies and I can trade them back in for store credit. Then I think that's probably a little unethical and I have to reel myself in.

F that. I'd do it

• Like 2

Congrats!!!! That's so freaking awesome :D. How do you frag those? Or do they naturally release from the skeleton???? At least I know now if I ever lose my plates, to hang onto the skeletons :D.

Thanks, Gena! Your guess is as good as mine. I'm really hoping that they just release themselves. Maybe someone who knows can tell us B)

I'm with Jeremi on this one... do it! They probably just toss dead skeletons :(

That's freaking awesome!!!

Thanks! I'm pretty pumped about it!

• Like 1

Wow, you hit the motherload. I thought that after a little while you can cut them off. maybe at a quarter or half dollar size? I don't know much about it.

I don't see that as being unethical at all! I would totally do that, in fact, next time a see a dead plate coral at a LFS, I'm going to ask for it :lol:.
  • Like 2

F that. I'd do it

:ninja: Looks like next time I got the crappy LFS I'll be on a mission. Operation save enough store credit for a Nuvo is on.

• Like 3

Wow, you hit the motherload. I thought that after a little while you can cut them off. maybe at a quarter or half dollar size? I don't know much about it.

I may have to start a thread and ask everyone. They have a LOT of growing to do though!

• 2 weeks later...

Omigosh! How long did it take? I'm waiting for my orange's skeleton to pop some out..

• Like 1
opaquelace

Omigosh! How long did it take? I'm waiting for my orange's skeleton to pop some out..

Looks like a while the skeleton isn't white anymore. I claim a baby if yours has them!
  • Like 2