ReefCleaners.org

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean by easier? (loaded question)

Ya know we need more accounts like this. There is so much advice given in this hobby and then silence when something goes wrong. It may bore the hell out of people but documenting both the good and the bad will go a long way to making it easier for everyone.

There's a thread on RC, Guess the Phosphate Level, of a guy running a tank with over .3 phosphates. Decent colors, not great, but decent and good growth. Now more studies are coming out showing many corals have increased growth with higher phosphates. Anecdotal evidence has existed for a while that moderate phosphates and nitrates lead to a seemingly more healthy tank, perhaps we are now starting to see more scientific evidence to support this.

I started to feed my tank heavy with quick export and I can see a drastic change in color! I also started daily water changes and the polyp extension has doubled.

The fact that I'm away from the tank and can't feed the tank myself and do water changes myself is probably one of the biggest factors of why this tank went down hill. I can tell my parents what to do but if they can't, then it just doesn't get done.

Thanks man. I'll just live through your tank ;) it truly is amazing.

Haha, thanks - it's still a baby but hopefully it fills out nicely. It's starting to get thirsty for alk and cal - so I'm getting my head around balancing that with dosing. Daily learning. :lol:

came home today. nothing else seems to be going downhill. fed a bunch.

some sps actually look insanely good... regardless, most of the sps will go. if i can get this display turned around i can keep it all, but right now only 2/3 test acro are doing well in the 65.

picked up one of the colonies that was necrosing and saw a bunch of brown pests scurrying around the skeleton

you think they're a cause? or just safety seeking copepods/amphiods.

they were small. like pod small. brown and very slim

I think youre going to have to take a closer look. AFAIK AEFW or red bugs don't scurry around.

That's what I thought. I think they were just pods hiding in the skeleton. I'll try and get a magnifying glass next time I look.

The last few weeks in this thread have been a pretty emotional rollercoaster for your tanks man. Sorry for the disillusionment your experiencing with sps but if thats the kind of coral that you really enjoy stick with it even if you are going to a smaller easier to maintain tank.

btw I don't do zoas anymore because I can't stand when a colony will just melt when parameters look fine and every other zoa colony is looking good. Coral failure is the suck.

TheKleinReef

The last few weeks in this thread have been a pretty emotional rollercoaster for your tanks man. Sorry for the disillusionment your experiencing with sps but if thats the kind of coral that you really enjoy stick with it even if you are going to a smaller easier to maintain tank.

btw I don't do zoas anymore because I can't stand when a colony will just melt when parameters look fine and every other zoa colony is looking good. Coral failure is the suck.

Thanks for the kind words. :) this hobby is in my blood so i keep at it. Practice makes perfect I guess.

I get amphipods that like to hang out at the edges of corals and dead branches that were shaded out once in awhile. I think they are either eating coral slime or algae that has grown on the edges. I have no evidence to suggest they are eating the tissue, but anything is possible.

TheKleinReef

10g waterchange today.

added the hawkins and a couple of green slimer frags to the dead coral bucket.

added the red planet and granulosa to the STN watchlist.

:/ i just want to start over.

Archived