ReefCleaners.org

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

I can't imagine it would be a city water issue with chloramines if one tank is doing fine and another is not doing well. I would assume they get water from the same place?

I got nothing though, so don't mind me. I would blame low nutrients, but you aren't using GFO or carbon dosing so...

But how much does he feed?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank uses GFO. 4 tsp passively along with BRS carbon 4tsp passively. But I still get lots of algae and this tank gets over fed daily.

Should take the GFO out?

What kind of algae?
TheKleinReef

What kind of algae?

I shouldn't have said lots. But I get a significant amount. Way more than the 65 that's for sure.

The normal micro algae, bubble algae, caulerpa, and some turf algae.

I say if you started over with no big changes did everything slow you would be successful with sps again.

I would put money on it.

No big changes... add only a coral or so at a time to the system, stability with your parameters and good flow nutrients and lighting and of coarse export.

You know and have done these things. ..you know what your doing!

I lost one acro in my tank since I started, it was to rtn. Luckily I fragged it quickly and I have a new one growing so I have not lost a coral yet...but anyway I looked back at my records for a change and I feel the only thing that changed was a 1.5 degree drop in a waterchange and I added an acro crab to that small colony a few days after.small changes and boom gone! Finicky burgers

So my point is the water change stressed the coral and then the acro crab stressed a little more and thats all it takes! Stability is the key and corals will adjust make a few changes to quick and dead. Anyway my 2 cents

You know what's up you just need to do it again.You can't leave the sticks. Lps is boring and 2 easy lol

It's kind of hard to run an SPS tank when you're away often. Seeing those small daily changes in your corals and algae growth is kind of important when reading your tanks health. If I left my tank with my parents for a month, Im pretty confident everything would be dead :)

With the few SPS pics that you posted I still see partially bleached corals. That's not browning, that's a low nutrient tan color that acros get. I still think you are stripping your tank. The alages that you listed are not a good indicator of nutrient because they will grow is very low nutrients as well. Manual removal and clean up crew is needed there.

From what i see on this thread, I would stop using GFO immediately,You don't need it. Start dosing a bacterial supplement to bring a little stability to the tank (Tim's, nite-out II, or Biodigest) I would also let things be for a while. Don't be overly concerned with keeping the tank clean. With proper flow and light, SPS survive much better with more nutrients. Let your po4 and nitrate get up there. Bacteria will boom in the system to deal with waste. IME by doing this, you will be left with a tank that is more stable with good SPS health and color.

FYI I've been where you are right now, to the point where I was going to throw in the SPS towel. This was in an old 120g. All my acros STN from the base up and I couldn't understand it because I had 0 po4 :). Leaving the tank alone for 6 months with only a couple of water changes, no gfo, my acros began to color up and grow nicely.

Good luck Rog! The challenge can be rewarding ;)

TheKleinReef

Thanks pod! I just took my skimmer offline as well. I think that might be a problem as well. It's rated for 250g so I'm sure that's not helping either. I'll give this tank one more shot with the advice I've gotten recently.

I love NR. the people here rock! Thanks everyone

TheKleinReef

Always at night, isn't it?

seems like it. i check the tank before lights out and in the mornings.

the night before it was a nice bright blue.

the next morning... bone white.

what could shift that far overnight? pH? that was the only colony.

A pest in the tank killing it.

A temperature change,

Something that only comes on at night that is putting electricity into the tank.

Contaminated topoff, or something else that only doses at night? Bad Kalkswasser etc.

???

TheKleinReef

A pest in the tank killing it.

A temperature change,

Something that only comes on at night that is putting electricity into the tank.

Contaminated topoff, or something else that only doses at night? Bad Kalkswasser etc.

???

i think i should just start over...

but some coral are doing well. i'm clinging on.

-__-

i think i should just start over...

but some coral are doing well. i'm clinging on.

-__-

I hate to the the downer, but if it's something with a piece of equipment or with a procedure then it may still return. If it's a pest and you use new rock then of course you'd be ok. I just can't stop wondering why this tank is having so many issues when everything seems fine.

You've fed so heavy you can hardly see the back of the tank, right? I mean really heavy?

TheKleinReef

I hate to the the downer, but if it's something with a piece of equipment or with a procedure then it may still return. If it's a pest and you use new rock then of course you'd be ok. I just can't stop wondering why this tank is having so many issues when everything seems fine.

You've fed so heavy you can hardly see the back of the tank, right? I mean really heavy?

not that heavy, but yeah, the tank gets a nice mixture of food daily.

i'll double check now, but i don't think it's equipment.

TheKleinReef

any reason why i need to dose 1/3 more ca than alk. currently dosing 21mL to keep this tank at 8.0, and 36mL to keep it at 400.

i just replaced the ca solution with the same batch that the display is using now. maybe i messed up the mixing when i made fresh Ca solution?

i'll test next week and see if that makes a difference.

i feel like this may have been the problem.

current paramaters:

ca: 400

Alk: 8.0

Mg: 1360

Temp: 79.8

SG: 1.026

parents want to get an apex for this tank, for my birthday. :o i really want to get the pH module for the Lite i have on the 65 as well.

• 3 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

things are basically on autopilot on this tank. haven't lost an acro in 3 weeks. maybe i should just let it be. but man the bubble algae in this tank is getting obnoxious. i threw in some gfo, hopefully that'll help clean everything up.

every time i use gfo i run into problems. even with 3 tbsp in 60ish gallons run passively. i think i'm having trouble balancing the nutrients.

That algae can be effectively addressed.

Dip the frags in 50/50 peroxide for 3 minutes. While they are submerged, using a towel, wipe off all areas on the plug that you see algae. If bubble algae is on the plug cut it away with a very sharp blade and dunk it in the peroxide.

3 minutes can make sps lose color but it will return.

For the frag rack, same thing. Remove it from the tank and soak in straight peroxide for 3+ minutes making sure to rub off and cut away any algae.

CUC will take care of the weakened algae.

TheKleinReef

Dip the frags in 50/50 peroxide for 3 minutes. While they are submerged, using a towel, wipe off all areas on the plug that you see algae. If bubble algae is on the plug cut it away with a very sharp blade and dunk it in the peroxide.

For the frag rack, same thing. Remove it from the tank and soak in straight peroxide for 3+ minutes making sure to rub off and cut away any algae.

CUC will take care of the weakened algae.

this. i should probably do this..

thanks kat (:

For the frag rack, same thing. Remove it from the tank and soak in straight peroxide for 3+ minutes making sure to rub off and cut away any algae.CUC will take care of the weakened algae.

Even on Zoas? Or say an ora birdsnest?

Even on Zoas? Or say an ora birdsnest?

Even what on zoas? A peroxide dip? Yes! And SPS too, although as I mentioned a 3 minute strong dip will make SPS lose color (it will come back). I have sometimes placed a high end acro frag standing up in a small cup/shot glass, filling it with dip just enough to cover the frag plug and not the coral itself. I do this for sensitive SPS. Zoas can take the dip no problem.

• 4 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

I've kind of given up on trying to fix this tank. Some are doing okay, others STN'd completely. I'm probably going to move everything to the 65 and tear this system down.

• 3 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

everything but the millie colony browned out, the mille bleached out probably due to the bulb switch. and STN set in on one of the big green slimer frags i have...

luckily i'm taking this tank down in the next few weeks.

gonna restart a fresh build in Boise.

Archived