Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would kill for that haha.

I was surprised that it was only $20! So are there a lot of retractions on coral sales in Australia or are they just really expensive? Seems odd - most of us think that the warmer climates should have much better availability but I'm starting to find out that it isn't always the case!

skimlessinseattle
Roger is your city water treated with chloramines? Do you have a chloramines rodi system?
Great question. I recently had a similar experience with my acros and found out my municipality had recently switched to chloramine dissinfection. I use prime in all my makeup water now. I cant for certain say this was the root cause of my issue, but things are on the mend since using the prime.
I was surprised that it was only $20! So are there a lot of retractions on coral sales in Australia or are they just really expensive? Seems odd - most of us think that the warmer climates should have much better availability but I'm starting to find out that it isn't always the case!

Not really any restrictions, most of our local stuff is exported which drives up local prices. So do get some great deal on local pieces though if you shop around. Stuff from overseas isn't imported often either so from a variety point of view if it's not aquacultured or collected locally it is very hard and very expensive to get.

TheKleinReef

Roger is your city water treated with chloramines? Do you have a chloramines rodi system?

Nope. Confirmed that with the city. After what happened to deckoz made sure of that.

Sorry about your losses Rog. I know that this can be really frustrating and discouraging. How long are you away from your tank while you are at school?

TheKleinReef

Sorry about your losses Rog. I know that this can be really frustrating and discouraging. How long are you away from your tank while you are at school?

I try to come home weekly but towards the end of the term I didn't see my tank for almost a month. :/

Yeah, I had asked him the same thing in pm then asked him to test his water.

Maybe I should call again to double check. It's worth a shot

I think stability is the problem. I read back in your thread and a lot of things going on...corals going from tank to tank, dosing changes, flow changes, not sure if you changed lighting? Plus being away from an sps tank for a month at a time I'm sure there was some stability problems with feed ing and dosing? Also your tank is so young.

I'm not saying your did a bad job and I'm not the coral king just making an observation. Seems to me while I try to keep a sps only system stability is key but you know this. I am also finding food plays a huge part..frags need to eat. Lol

How much and what do you feed your fish and coral?

TheKleinReef

Maybe the bond that they used or is the overflow box/sump have anything that could be leaching?

The overflow is kind of pinned in place by force. Lol ghetto rigged it

TheKleinReef

I think stability is the problem. I read back in your thread and a lot of things going on...corals going from tank to tank, dosing changes, flow changes, not sure if you changed lighting? Plus being away from an sps tank for a month at a time I'm sure there was some stability problems with feed ing and dosing? Also your tank is so young. I'm not saying your did a bad job and I'm not the coral king just making an observation. Seems to me while I try to keep a sps only system stability is key but you know this. I am also finding food plays a huge part..frags need to eat. Lol How much and what do you feed your fish and coral?

parameters were actually pretty stable. looking back at my log, i only had 1 really big swing which stressed out a bunch of stuff, but didn't cause any losses. (S*** hit the fan after that).

major changes included: the addition of 2 koralias, and i removed the radion. which i'm not so sure it would cause too much stress for stuff.

i did add a lot of sps at one time when i took the SPS from the 65 to this tank, and whatever it was i'm pretty sure it came from the 65, cause i never had problems with this tank until then. even the addition of all the coral didn't do much on the parameters. everything tested in my ideal range for the next 2-3 weeks.

I would say something here but its not my place and I dont know you that well.

ok?

BattleAthletics

ok?

The crash happened while you were away right? Could it of been a magnet leaching into the water column getting rusted?

TheKleinReef

The crash happened while you were away right? Could it of been a magnet leaching into the water column getting rusted?

it wasn't a huge instant crash, its happening really slowly. magnets? not that i know of. the only two magnets on the tank are the tunze magnets.

BattleAthletics

it wasn't a huge instant crash, its happening really slowly. magnets? not that i know of. the only two magnets on the tank are the tunze magnets.

Have you ever heard of magnavore algae magnets leaching out into water columns and crashing a tank? I saw an article about it.

Im trying here lol

TheKleinReef

Have you ever heard of magnavore algae magnets leaching out into water columns and crashing a tank? I saw an article about it.

Im trying here lol

i appreciate it i swear! i haven't read anything about those.

BattleAthletics

look up magnet leaching into tanks, the guy in texas didnt know it but his tank was crsahing because of it, 3 years down the drain

I can't imagine it would be a city water issue with chloramines if one tank is doing fine and another is not doing well. I would assume they get water from the same place?

I got nothing though, so don't mind me. I would blame low nutrients, but you aren't using GFO or carbon dosing so...

TheKleinReef

I can't imagine it would be a city water issue with chloramines if one tank is doing fine and another is not doing well. I would assume they get water from the same place?

I got nothing though, so don't mind me. I would blame low nutrients, but you aren't using GFO or carbon dosing so...

This tank uses GFO. 4 tsp passively along with BRS carbon 4tsp passively. But I still get lots of algae and this tank gets over fed daily.

Should take the GFO out?

Archived