Top Shelf Aquatics

Begow's Money Trap! Crazy Aggressive Chalice and New Clown Video..

Begow

Deleted User 4

Your mom needs new friends to lol. I like BTA's the best to. I am going to start getting into Maxi mini's though. Sowly gonna turn my tank into 100% anemones.

Lolol........

Anyways, yeah anemone tank is awesome. I love your tank though. You should really win totm someday soon.

Bta's on the top and wellso/acantho at the bottom. Awesome.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't keep up with all the "extra" stuff going on here... Did you really dump those corals? There was a pretty good post about putting them in a bucket with a heater and power head. Kill the stuff and keep the coral. Increasing mg helped me get rid of it in the past. Kent's m-tech I think it was.

I can't keep up with all the "extra" stuff going on here... Did you really dump those corals? There was a pretty good post about putting them in a bucket with a heater and power head. Kill the stuff and keep the coral. Increasing mg helped me get rid of it in the past. Kent's m-tech I think it was.

Yep sure did. The LFS didn't offer anything but to take them back with no refund. I'm not risking anything in my ank, and I don't want to have to battle anything. Kent-M adds up and I'm not wanting to dose my tank with that shit every day lol

I too was against dosing in my newb days,but as my tank matured and became stocked it was using up the elements faster than i could do water changes to keep up.

I too was against dosing in my newb days,but as my tank matured and became stocked it was using up the elements faster than i could do water changes to keep up.

Well now that I have ~2k into my tank I would prefer not to add frags with bryopsis and majavo anemones in them, as my first frags :P

Well I come home tonight, and my zoas look terrible.

I tried to put both LED's around 75% on today, for about 9 hours so far. They look shrunken down, instead of their usual outstretched look. Most of them are closed, and look bad.

I'm going to do water testing here in a minute as well, but wanted to get your opinion as well. Did I try too much light too soon? They're come from tanks lit by T-5's..

Before:

3CFF3389-89D0-438B-B79B-B03ADD23A49F-165

After:

D06ABA33-F135-4FAA-9B4F-CD316C639A16-299

Light % is set to high. What light did you have before the LED light?

75% for 9 hours is way to long and to high % for the first day. You should start at 25% the first few weeks and work your way up. Someone will be able to help more with LEDS than me though. I am old school metal Halide.

Did you get the Sol already?

You should be running at like 30% if you did. AT MOST. I'm at 15% on my AI Nanos and I think I might be too high. I'm gonna turn it down some.

Yeah, once I get the AI in, I'll be able to actually control it. With this fixture I have to do it manually.

Did you get the Sol already?

You should be running at like 30% if you did. AT MOST. I'm at 15% on my AI Nanos and I think I might be too high. I'm gonna turn it down some.

They come in tomorrow.

C2246FCC-10C4-457F-A3F5-4FEEF6749A80-299

A worried reefers survival kit!!!!

Everything tested fine, my salinty seems like it is 1.028 though.. Which seems high, right?

If it is a knob turn it halfway then turn it back to between halfway and off. That should be 25%. Then leave it there till you get the AI.

For both colors? or what?

That's a little on the high end. What did you have it at before?

This water if what came from the LFS, everything from here on out will be pre-mixed.

Ya if you went from T5s to LEDs and you are at 75% you are scorching your corals. You need to drop the lighting down. And maybe even leave it off tomorrow.

Ya if you went from T5s to LEDs and you are at 75% you are scorching your corals. You need to drop the lighting down. And maybe even leave it off tomorrow.

Alright will do.

Also, I have 5 gallons of pre-mixed salt water in my car, but it's been sitting out there for a while (week or so) and it's probably around 50 degrees or so. I don't have a spare heater to heat this up, what should I do? And how to I lower the salinity of my tank safely?

I run mine at 1.025. You should email auto top off about buying a tank mount bracket to mount your Tunze nano ato switch to. Here is a picture of the tank mount http://www.autotopoff.com/products/ST1/

Alright will do. Also, I have 5 gallons of pre-mixed salt water in my car, but it's been sitting out there for a while (week or so) and it's probably around 50 degrees or so. I don't have a spare heater to heat this up, what should I do? And how to I lower the salinity of my tank safely?
You take tank water out and replace it with straight RODI to lower salinity. If the water is cold heat it up in a dish in the microwave and add RODI to lower salinity. Lower salinity slowly over the next few days.

I run mine at 1.025. You should email auto top off about buying a tank mount bracket to mount your Tunze nano ato switch to. Here is a picture of the tank mount http://www.autotopoff.com/products/ST1/

You take tank water out and replace it with straight RODI to lower salinity. If the water is cold heat it up in a dish in the microwave and add RODI to lower salinity. Lower salinity slowly over the next few days.

So how much should I remove at a time?

Take out a half gallon of tank water and replace a half gallon of fresh RODI. Give it 10 minutes after adding it and check salinity. Dd you calibrate your refracometer?

Take out a half gallon of tank water and replace a half gallon of fresh RODI. Give it 10 minutes after adding it and check salinity. Dd you calibrate your refracometer?

Yes.

Ok take a half gallon or so out and put in a half gallon of fresh water. Test salinity of the tank after 10 minutes. If it drops to 1.027 leave it till tomorrow then lower it some more until you reach 1.025.

I'm not risking anything in my ank, and I don't want to have to battle anything.

I had a couple small patches of bryopsis on my rock when I got it. Along with about 5 other macro's. If you start your tank slow, and don't rush livestock, the macros and pests usually run their course and die off in my experience. You shouldn't have tossed those frags.

Your gonna have to battle something at some point, it's inevitable. Just like we'll all get cancer if we live long enough. You could have learned how to set up a treatment bucket in the process too. So don't freak out next time something unwanted pops up. It's going to be OK! :)

Just so you know my 24x24x12 evaporates 2 gallons a day. So unless you get that ATO hooked up you are gonna fight the salinity problem everyday.

I had a couple small patches of bryopsis on my rock when I got it. Along with about 5 other macro's. If you start your tank slow, and don't rush livestock, the macros and pests usually run their course and die off in my experience. You shouldn't have tossed those frags. Your gonna have to battle something at some point, it's inevitable. Just like we'll all get cancer if we live long enough. You could have learned how to set up a treatment bucket in the process too. So don't freak out next time something unwanted pops up. It's going to be OK! :)
I disagree I would toss two 20 dollar frags any day rather than fight Bryopsis. It is not much fun dosing a tank everyday with Kent tech M and testing it every day for a month. Then during that month your nitrates climb and you have to do a waterchange and match the mag levels in your waterchange water to your tank. I had Bryopsis in my first biocube it never died off and nothing would eat it.

Archived