ReefCleaners.org

Polarcollision's Nuvo 8 & Temperate 6

Polarcollision

Amazing tank!

How high above your SPS was your AI Nano mounted? I am running one on my 12 gallon and have it about 10 inches above where my sps is, though I have good growth and polyp extension I have been seeing some polyp fading on a few of my SPS. For the last month I was running at 24%W, 60%RB, 60%B; I just reduced it to 16%, 48%, 48%, respectively, after reading about your similar experience. I was just curious what the distance was between your light and SPS.

Polarcollision

Amazing tank!

How high above your SPS was your AI Nano mounted? I am running one on my 12 gallon and have it about 10 inches above where my sps is, though I have good growth and polyp extension I have been seeing some polyp fading on a few of my SPS. For the last month I was running at 24%W, 60%RB, 60%B; I just reduced it to 16%, 48%, 48%, respectively, after reading about your similar experience. I was just curious what the distance was between your light and SPS.

I just used that cheap plastic arm that came with it--maybe 6-8" above the lid?

I was reading your tank of the month post again (cuz it's really awesome). You mentioned that you didn't feed much at first to control phosphates and algae. But that was a mistake and you started to feed more. Did you see an increase in phosphates and algae and how did you still manage to control that with increased feeding? Your tank is really an inspiration for me =).

Polarcollision

I was reading your tank of the month post again (cuz it's really awesome). You mentioned that you didn't feed much at first to control phosphates and algae. But that was a mistake and you started to feed more. Did you see an increase in phosphates and algae and how did you still manage to control that with increased feeding? Your tank is really an inspiration for me =).

Thanks ninjamyst. Cool user name!

Well, there definitely was an increase in nutrients and algae. The trick is to ramp up feeding slowly so the system can balance. It helps to have anaerobic bacteria in the sandbed to pop out nitrogen gas. Macroalgae is another great way to export both nitrates and phosphates. I understand that xenia grows fast enough to be a good exporter of both as well, though I didn't go that route.

So the challenge at that point is keeping display macroalgae over pest algae and also keeping phosphates exported. With such a small tank, I just opted to replace portions of the sand bed so that it was 100% new over the year. This helped keep phosphates low and also reestablished beneficial bacteria (live sand). If pest algae took hold, manual removal and hydrogen peroxide took care of it. The system was always healthiest when there was a little bit of pest turf algae, so I learned to love it a little bit too. If you look closely in the main photo, you can see a bit of it on the top column near the bird of paradise frag. :-)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Time for transformations. Everything tropical has been moved to the Nuvo 24 and the 8 gallon is no more.

I cut off the silicone divider and moved it forward about an inch to accommodate two ice probes. Since the overall tank volume can overwhelm two ice probes, the extra space in the back chamber will be displaced with an acrylic-coated foam insert. It will also serve as insulation.

Next step was to drill two holes in glass. Yikes! If you're like me and have never done this before, don't be too anxious about it. If I can do it, so can you. It's surprisingly easy! A diamond hole saw kit, a bit of water for lubrication and a lot of patience is all it takes. It's best to drill from the inside of the tank so that your water-tight seal doesn't have to work harder against any chipping as the saw breaks through the other side. Don't force the saw, just wait for it to sloooooowly sand through the glass.

First hole drilled:

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/polarcollision/media/680327B7-736E-4E1C-9951-AEFB207A1A90-28101-0000069090EFCD5A_zpsa30744b0.jpg.html'>680327B7-736E-4E1C-9951-AEFB207A1A90-281

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/polarcollision/media/291812A3-D67D-4FB0-A6BE-44266FDCEF5C-28101-000006907C3381A7_zps6455c410.jpg.html'>291812A3-D67D-4FB0-A6BE-44266FDCEF5C-281

Once that was finished, I used 100% silicone for windows and doors (no algicide) to adhere the rear chamber baffles. Finally, I installed the ice probes and added water for the leak test and temperature test. I need 55 degrees max.

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/polarcollision/media/191061C0-CC68-454B-8608-57A750B05715-28101-00000690D021681B_zps741f1b7b.jpg.html'>191061C0-CC68-454B-8608-57A750B05715-281

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice tanks that you have there. It took me a few pages to determine you were journaling two tanks in the one thread. I really like to see the cold water tanks. It opens up a whole new realm of species. Living in Phoenix AZ, cold water tanks don't seem to feasible. Thanks for sharing.

Polarcollision

Sweet chiton on the underside of that rock!

Chitons are pretty cool creatures. Keep hoping to get one of these

Tonicella_lokii_in_California.jpg

Very nice tanks that you have there. It took me a few pages to determine you were journaling two tanks in the one thread. I really like to see the cold water tanks. It opens up a whole new realm of species. Living in Phoenix AZ, cold water tanks don't seem to feasible. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! With AC, you could easily get one going. Micro reefs is always trying out new small chillers and Coldwater Marine Aquatics can hook you up with livestock. They're easier than tropical if you stock tidepool creatures that are pretty hardy. But a little harder because if something goes wrong, there's not a lot of info out there to lean on.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Polarcollision

Wow PC! Very nice microscopy! Did you do this at home or do you work with microscopes?

I have a cheap brightfield microscope at home and the fancy DSLR. All the microscope work in A&P and Microbiology got me hooked. As soon as I can justify it I'll upgrade the objectives for sharper images and a darkfield modification. Wish I had access to your microscopes. You've got a dream job. :-)

I'm not super familiar with different varieties of dinos. Do you think the ones I photographed are the same as what you're seeing in your tank?

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...