Top Shelf Aquatics

Tristan got his PicO

TristanC

Everything looks awesome! I wanted to check out your build for the recommendation you gave on the Ledtric bulb, and I'll def. be following along... What did you end up using for the fixture for the Par38? It looks nice a sleek.

Thanks for stopping by, it is so hard to capture pics of these lights because my iphone 5 cannot handle the intensity. I actually made the fixture out of electrical conduit, bent and painted it black. Then i drilled two holes at the length i wanted the light to sit and ran the bulb and cord through it. Took me total one hour to complete, and i am very happy with the way it came out. I will also try and post pictures showing how the par 38 looks even though i just have rocks at the moment.

Cheers!

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did you end up using for the fixture for the Par38? It looks nice a sleek.

Here is another pic of how the light hanger looks.

IMG_2613.jpg

And a quick shot of the leds

IMG_2614.jpg

Here is another pic of how the light hanger looks.

IMG_2613.jpg

And a quick shot of the leds

IMG_2614.jpg

Looks awesome... I think I'm definitely going to be ordering this bulb.. and I like the fixture idea...

I should ask, what are your stocking plans?

And lucky for you its on sale!! The fixture probably cost me at most $20 including socket and cord.

I should ask, what are your stocking plans?

Im thinking a single percula clown, rics, couple selects zoa frags, and acans for starters. Once the tank is established im going sps till its full haha.

looking really awesome. cant wait to see it full of life :D

:D

John from reefcleaners really came through on this one, he selected the perfect sized rocks for this kind of build, thanks John! Ive allowed plenty of free space completily around rockwork for flow and the ability to clean the glass. My iPhone 5 doesnt like leds so i put a t5 over it just so i could take pics, the leds really make the tank look spectacular in person. I got this really unique rock that had a crazy bend to it so i put it at the top to create a "pillar". Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

Looks good!

John really is a great guy to work with.

He certainly is, top notch company he's got goin'

love the scape.

Thanks man, it only took me like 4 hours haha.

Nice 'scape. An MP10 in a 7.5 gallon could be considered crazy - I think it's awesome!

Haha it is awesome! I have it at around 20% and the sand is almost kicking up.

Well shrimp has been in 3 days or so now, here is my progress in the cycle

Ammonia .50

Nitrite .25

Nitrate 0

Kind of a weird observation, i am already getting what looks like small patches of diatoms on the rock work. There isn't alot of it, but in a few spots it is growing in pretty dark. Also i redid the rock work to something that i felt yielded more room for coral placement, and with a tank this small i need all the space i can get. I ordered a hanna phosphate checker, and a refractometer both should be here tomorrow.

Nice scape! seems like everything is well on it's way then.

Thank you! its actually changed just a little bit but i like how it turned out. Yeah judging by my tests its looking like my cycle is well on its way. Thanks for the comment!

Looking good! I'm taking your advice and getting the PAR38 from LEDTRiC. I keep seeing nothing but awesome reviews about that full spec bulb so I'm going to dive in. :)

Cool scape!

Thank you!

Looking good! I'm taking your advice and getting the PAR38 from LEDTRiC. I keep seeing nothing but awesome reviews about that full spec bulb so I'm going to dive in. :)

Great choice, just like you I've read nothing but stellar reviews, even more so on the full spectrum bulb. I can't wait to add coral so I can really see what this thing can do.

Great choice, just like you I've read nothing but stellar reviews, even more so on the full spectrum bulb. I can't wait to add coral so I can really see what this thing can do.

I saw they are $40 off on the LEDtric website. I don't know if it is a Cyber Week thing or permanent price drop. I used one of these over my frag tank and it was awesome. Just beware you don't have it too close to the water because you might bleach coral if they aren't used to higher light levels. Don't ask how I found this out... :lol:

I saw they are $40 off on the LEDtric website. I don't know if it is a Cyber Week thing or permanent price drop. I used one of these over my frag tank and it was awesome. Just beware you don't have it too close to the water because you might bleach coral if they aren't used to higher light levels. Don't ask how I found this out... :lol:

Ha ha, im assuming there was a few "martyrs" then. Thanks for the heads up, i placed it 11" from the waterline, i figure its a good starting point until i can get an idea on how much light is needed.

Took some pictures of the new scape, and once again had to throw my t5's over it just so i could get a picture. I will be taking better pictures once i get my girlfriends dslr over here. Also in the pics you can kinda make out the brown algae/diatoms that are starting to build up on the rock work, i thought that wasnt supposed to happen till later.. Also the brown rock in the middle is the piece i am seeding the tank with and it will be gone after cycle is complete. Again tank looks so much nicer with the leds but i cant seem to get a good picture.

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

This scape allows more places and crevices for coral placement, which is my biggest priority.

This scape allows more places and crevices for coral placement, which is my biggest priority.

Scape looks great!

Thanks for the suggestion.. Can't wait to get it!

Scape looks great!

Thanks for the suggestion.. Can't wait to get it!

Thank you! And no problem! Cant wait to see what your tank looks like with the Par 38

gulfsurfer101

Looking good, makes me wish I never sold my cube cause now I wanna set one back up. I'm sure you'll have a blast getting this tank stocked.

Archived