Pod Your Reef

Best Ghetto DIY jobs around

metrokat

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 400 watt halide hanging by two coat hangers... lol and to keep the screen on my tank i had to use airline tubing tie it around a rock to keep it down lol ill take pics later

Polarcollision

Nope, run opposite lights.

Why is superglue designed to instantly bond skin to anything ... but 15 minutes drying time if skin is not involved?

And WHY does SG only stick solidly to rocks for a few weeks, but sticks FOREVER to my kitchen countertop?

• Like 2

How the heck are you gonna put frags on that?!

Really tiny ones. I also made a wider version to hold bigger frags. I don't have any frags at the moment. I'm holding out for a rose millie and that elusive blue sps I've been wanting for so long. Then I can test it out.

Herp is a big time repeat offender lol

Either way you must be using that saved DIY money on coral care cause they look good

:mellow:

:lol:

Nah, like I said these are the extent of my DIY skills. I'll run out of them eventually. Thanks for the comment. :)

Herptile, ductape some eggcrate on that and you have a frag rack. k?

I couldn't find any. Over here, one does not simply walk into a DIY/home improvement store and get eggcrate.

Oh you must be referring to the frag plugs and slot them through the eggcrate? Yeah we don't have them here either (that's readily available anyway). The frags are on small pieces of rocks already.

Whats wrong with DiY????? Herp did good glue the frags on airline tubin and stick them in the slots

Maybe it's too ghetto? :D . You have to admit, it is funny looking though and doesn't look like it can hold much. I can't use airline tubing. The frags are already on small pieces of rock so I can directly place them on the DIY frag rack. If not, I still have some small pieces of rubble here that I can glue the frags on.

Here's what I used when I fragged my toadstool. It's even more ghetto. Just a plastic microwavable container that I cut, melted holes in and clothespinned to the side of the tank. It was only for a week anyway. I just waited for the frags to attach before they went to new homes.

October112012.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite mod from my old 31g acrylic all-in-one. I took an old 2.5g minibow hood and used a dremmel to trim it and slot it, so it fit perfectly over the rear fuge chamber. Free fuge light!

31gfugelight.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Djtripoalo

my ghetto sump install in my desk. it fit in perfectly! sorta lol. the blue stuff is filterpads and then i have a DIY charcoal filter under them lol

post-80037-0-19520200-1368238740_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my DIY PVC pipe light fixture holding my gu10 led bulbs all held together with electrical tape :)

2EAC0C5A-5E5A-485D-B9F1-5970E59FF1D8-654

09B7832D-EBBB-4A68-85E0-750622339940-654

lnglostsurfer

This one is hard to top from a lighting aspect....pvc light stand with a diy led setup. Let me tell you, it worked great and has good color but it looks like total crap.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20130326_151058_196.jpg.html'>IMG_20130326_151058_196.jpg

Anyway, I moved everything to a 5.5g and built a custom hood to put everything in. Looks much better now but it was like that for a good 2 months before the gf got really p'd off

Archived