Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best Ghetto DIY jobs around

metrokat

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
another one of my ghetto lighting jobs.

litec.jpg

Those pipes look helthy, must be all that light they are getting. Mine never color up to that nice gray color, they always look like white plastic or grungy steel. :happy:

Nice fuge lights.

Ps: if you look at the drain side of my overflow box u can see my diy acrilic lid for it.

I have one on the other side of my built in one. I was afraid a crab or snail would get in there and clog my one drain. Turns out I wasn't wrong. I left it off one day when I cleaned it. I noticed later and I looked in the box there was a red legged hermit chilling out on the bottom. I still have no idea what he used to climb into that box.

Nice fuge lights.

Ps: if you look at the drain side of my overflow box u can see my diy acrilic lid for it.

Why did you make an acrylic lid for your overflow box?

another one of my ghetto lighting jobs.

litec.jpg

Classic. haha. I love the rock so it doesn't tip over.

Why did you make an acrylic lid for your overflow box?

Noise and salt creep. I had some scrap acrylic laying around and just started making things.

Classic. haha. I love the rock so it doesn't tip over.

I know...lol...and it would totally crash to the floor if that was rock was removed. I plan on replacing it with a pendant one of these days.

I want to see more pictures of this, it looks ghetto-cool.

Ok then. :)

* click for full size *

p1010928webzvk.jpg

p1010932web.jpg

What I did was remove the screws and take off the metal back, silicon around the inside where the lens fits onto the plastic wrap around, put the back back on, and siliconed any holes through the back.

Next I super glued these to the lid of my AC110, making sure to get more glue on my hands than the lights. Once that was dry and I extracted myself from the AC110 lid I siliconed around the edges to make sure everything was water proof, or at least damn water resistant.

These lights are very yellow in color, 2700K I think is what they are advertised as, and they grow cheato faster than my HOB fuge on my 40 with a 6700K CF bulb.

7 days of growth.

p1010929web.jpg

• Like 1
Do you run those 24x7? Just curious.

Also its glad to hear other people get glued to their projects.... I always feel stuid when I do that.

Nope, run opposite lights.

Why is superglue designed to instantly bond skin to anything ... but 15 minutes drying time if skin is not involved?

• Like 1
Nope, run opposite lights.

Why is superglue designed to instantly bond skin to anything ... but 15 minutes drying time if skin is not involved?

Wondered with all that growth.

Because that was what super glue was invented for. Putting soldiers back together after they got blown up.

Never have understood how slow it dries when it is applied thickly and skin isn't involved. That is a mystery.

Ok then. :)

* click for full size *

That is a crazy cool mod! I still can't do the ful size pictures. oh well. first i would have to upload a larger size to my picasa, then link that.

:huh:

I was pokeing around in the sump and had the camera handy. +1 internets to the person who figures out what this thing is. :huh:

post-77562-1354931536_thumb.jpg

P.S. Yes it works just fine and have several safty features, despite the frankenstine look of it.

TeflonTomDosh
I was pokeing around in the sump and had the camera handy. +1 internets to the person who figures out what this thing is. :huh:

post-77562-1354931536_thumb.jpg

P.S. Yes it works just fine and have several safty features, despite the frankenstine look of it.

pump for ATO?

Ghetto lighting, currently waiting on an order from Steve's LED to build the proper fixture. I was so happy with my work on making the lid...then a few hours later I defaced it! All the unstained pieces of wood were temporarily added as I figured out how to jury rig this...I hesitate to call it a "setup". Monstrosity, perhaps?

Threw in a rbg led strip to play around with moonlighting last night.

On left side, self-ballasted 50/50

P2230372.jpg

On right side, a 23w daylight cfl in a cheap home depot fixture

P2230373.jpg

And the finishing touch, a top of the line cut open cardboard box to deal with glare off the acrylic lid!

P2230377.jpg

pump for ATO?

+1

and those yellow wires are sticking out of the float switch. Did Nylon and I win a prize?

And the finishing touch, a top of the line cut open cardboard box to deal with glare off the acrylic lid!

P2230377.jpg

Winner. :lol:

those yellow wires are sticking out of the float switch. Did Nylon and I win a prize?

Yes you I will give you +1 internet points. Which are totally usless. ;) In fact I will give you an extra internet point metrokat, because you knew what the yellow wires were hooked to. 2$ foat switch on that side and spliced into the pump power cord on the other. It is all wrapped up in heat shrink tubeing for added protection. That is safty feature #1.

Saftey feature #2 is the zip tie to keep if from waltzing off any where when the pump gets power for extended periods. It really is an overly enthusatic pump and tends to rattle around some times the ziptie makes it impossible for it to end up in the tank, or go much of any where really.

Saftey feature #3 is the blue section of crazy straw you can see in the left picture. The purpose of that I will let you try and decode for the added prize below. :D

If you can figure out how I am pumping water with it you will win 100 more. (Hint: It is not pressurizing any thing. Second hint Count the tubes going into it. Third hint it is made out of a tetra wisper air pump.) Now I want to see what you ome up with as a solution. :happy:Haha

Yes you I will give you +1 internet points. Which are totally usless. ;) In fact I will give you an extra internet point metrokat, because you knew what the yellow wires were hooked to. 2$ foat switch on that side and spliced into the pump power cord on the other. It is all wrapped up in heat shrink tubeing for added protection. That is safty feature #1.

Saftey feature #2 is the zip tie to keep if from waltzing off any where when the pump gets power for extended periods. It really is an overly enthusatic pump and tends to rattle around some times the ziptie makes it impossible for it to end up in the tank, or go much of any where really.

Saftey feature #3 is the blue section of crazy straw you can see in the left picture. The purpose of that I will let you try and decode for the added prize below. :D

If you can figure out how I am pumping water with it you will win 100 more. (Hint: It is not pressurizing any thing. Second hint Count the tubes going into it. Third hint it is made out of a tetra wisper air pump.) Now I want to see what you ome up with as a solution. :happy:Haha

oooh, me wants precious. I mean prizes, moar internets points!

What crazy straw? What blue section?

• Like 1

Archived